Calling all soil bug experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tact,

They do look like Springtail larvea to me. Adults will jump, with a snapping action. They keep they're tails under the abdomen and "spring" up and away.

Springtails prefer moist environments frequently hanging around the wet, lower regions of your pots. They primarily feed on fungi, frequently indicating a healthy soil food web. Large numbers can have a detrimental effect however, as w/ most pests. Springtails are uniquely non-harmful typically.

You may consider allowing things to dry out. I had good luck simply raising the pots off the floor somewhat - So close to harvest, I may have a similar approach. Imo I would wait them out - and clean the pots and grow area thoroughly after the cycle.

With soil insects I always put double sided tape around the rim and below drain holes to prevent them crawling to other pots. Soil bugs almost always crawl. I wouldn't worry to much now about them honestly - I'd concentrate on avoiding them next time. I always buy soil stored indoors, they frequently come in w/ the soil.

Hope you work it out Tact - thanks

Jman

Latest posts

Back