can a 600 bulb be run with a 400 ballase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need a 600 watt ballast

It might run the light but not very efficient and very bad for the bulb and ballast

You do Need a 600 Ballast!
Otherwise they would have all been sold with the same ballast... :hubba:
I am not so good with electricity myself... But to me it sounds like trying to run a 12V stereo with a 9V adapter... And you know it goes Bzzzzzzzzzz.....
Try if you have a spare Bulb...
Let me know what happened... :smoke1:

If you put a 600W bulb on a 400W ballast you are going to have a lot of smoke ... and I do not mean the kind that comes from bud... I mean the type that firefighters point hoses at.

I am led to believe if you use a electronic ballast you can run from 250w up to 1000w bulb

noelk said:
I am led to believe if you use a electronic ballast you can run from 250w up to 1000w bulb

Sorry, no that is not correct. With an electronic ballast, you can run either MH or HPS. You cannot change wattage of the bulbs.

Sorry, its true, i got mixed up between what can be run off the electronic ballast its the lamps that can be swapped and not the wattage of the lamps,just as well i saw your post because i have just bought an electronic ballast 400w and was thinking of buying a 600 lamp for flowering for flowering,Cheers HG:)

if you use a 600w lamp with a 400w ballast it will usually work untill the lamp heats up then it will knock off and try to restrike,

swiftgt said:
if you use a 600w lamp with a 400w ballast it will usually work untill the lamp heats up then it will knock off and try to restrike,

In my line of work (Industrial Maint) bay lighting is always calling to me.
We use a universal ballast/Xfmr that will fire a 400w MH or MV....and these puppies get HOT!.....Match your bulb to your source.

My 2scents

Latest posts

Back