can i just bring in cold air from outside rather then running an ac unit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad

Legalize it in U.S.A.
Reaction score
thanks in advance for any help you can supply me.i havent seen the ? asked b-4 so i figured i'd go ahead and ask.

im up here in michigan and the temps are gonna be going down soon and i was thinking of a way i could get out of running a window ac unit.due to the added electricity,as well as it being obvious running ac when its chilly/cold outdoors. i dont have any fresh air coming in or going out in my room at the moment due to the fact that im growing in a rather large bedroom and i didnt see any need.but now my temps are getting to be 90-95 after my light has been on a few hours... is there any way i could just bring in cold air from outdoors to cool my room or would this not be a wise decision? do you think it'd be enough to cool the room? i believe the rooms like 9 ft x 15 ft. Thanks again for any advise. -Peace

yea man mother nature was the first a/c just build a filter box around the window so u can crack the window and screw it in place then cut a hole in the top of the backside add a flange then connect your intake duct and pull air in from there u should be good . BTW u might want to put up a black mesh first on the window to help from seenig the filter bow from the outside

That's what I do...seems silly not to use what mother nature gives us free. I bring cold air in from my crawl space to cool the light and the grow space (almost 20 sq ft). I have 3 different intakes--2 of them have fans, one is passive. In the winter, I exhaust the hot air from the light into the master bathroom to help heat it.

However you need to set it up, make sure that the frigid air is not blowing directly on the plants.

:D This would save me a tremendous amount of time and money.ive kinda held off most of my strains due to my heat factor.heres a pic of my window,theres actually a sill on the other side of my window cover (black plastic and then foil and foil tape) and the window has blinds so theres no way you can see the black plastic from outdoors..plus its in the upstairs of my house. i was thinking about just hooking a fan to a duct and having the fan bring the cold air in.since i wont have to cool the room at night (since my lights will be off) i'll put a towel over the fan at night to avoid a cold draft coming in.then at 9am when my lights come on,ill go pull the towel off and fire up the fan.does this sound about right or does somebody have a better idea? -Thanks again for all the help..i really apreciate it :)

window.JPG

clanchattan said:
plus in yer townhouse id hate to see the bill with your a.c. and your heat pump running at the same time

i mean..itd be fine if i made more then minimum wage,had 2 incomes coming in and didnt have to buy my smoke.i grew up rather poor so i was never pampered with all that warm of a house so i can manage in a rather cool house.

:rolleyes: i cant wait til the day that i dont have to buy smoke anymore.ive grown outdoors in the past so i never had to deal with all these problems indoor growers face. ive always just planted the beans,watered them and topped them when they were ready,pulled them and put them in trash bags to take home when they were done and that was it....you go through alotta stuff growin indoors as to growing outdoors.i personally think getting your temp in order has to be one of the biggest problems we face while growing indoors.once you get it in order,everything else is rather easy to deal with.

Looks like a good set up Dad. However, I would recommend getting a damper rather than using the towel and setting the fan on a timer.

yea,ill probably end up putting the fan on a timer just in case for some odd reason im unable to remove the towel/damper...this may be a dumb ? but what exactly is a damper =)

choking_victim said:
Keep em' growin' bro.
What's on the menu this go-round.?
i have my sam the skunk man skunk 1 x haze plants flowering right now (link to journals on my sig., i got ALOT of pics in it)
as for my main event,i just started my aurora indica,i have my jock horror beans sittin next to me right now just waiting to get the other 3 packs of seeds in. im doin wonder diesel,hashplant,and big blue (nl#5 x blueberry) I actually let MP choose one of my strains and big blue won my poll.i narrowed it down to like 6 or so and everybody voted for what they wanted to see grown. as for whats on my "to do list" i wanna give bonkers,strawberry cough,blockhead,g13,white widow,couple of the lowrider strains,kalichokra,white russian,and thats just part of my list.
but if you wanna see whats goin on with me and my grow room and what not,check out my journals. -peace

not to cut in on your thread dad,but i have a somiliar prob.my windows are the crank out kind,(anderson windows).at the moment i have the 1 window cranked out about 4 inches with cardboard covering the screen,which is on the inside of the room.with a cut-out for the portable ac exhaust.how can i rig up something to bring in cool air without it being so obvious.having the window ajar during the winter is gonna look suspicious.i also live not far from aurora indicas dad.20--25 miles. i wanted to put a dryer vent in,but girlfriend says no.her house.all idea appreciated.sorry dad

no your good bud.you know me and you are better then that...im tryin to draw up somethin right now for you,so she wont let you keep the window open at all?

will that damper open with me pullin the cold air in rather then pushing it? how far from the fan will i want it?

Latest posts

Back