Can odor permeate walls?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudsBuds

Reaction score
hey guys i am pretty new to the grow thing but have been researching and learned alot in the past year. I have a townhouse/apartment and i want to grow.
My flower room is a 3x4 area in my spare bedroom closet. I have people that live next to me and im not worried about smell inside the house, just outside. Basically im wondering if 4-7 chronic flowering plants odor can permeate walls? Do you think the smell will be so strong that neighbors would notice? Once again it can smell in my place im just worried about neighbors smelling. And the window will remain closed so im not worried about that, i have a different air source.

Thanks guys

I would say yes..even with my carbon scrubber I still catch a wiff outside sometimes..but only the last few weeks befor harvest..But lets see what others say. KEEP M GREEN

how many plants did you have going? and i wont be using a carbon scrubber... if it gets real bad i will get air freshener..... we shall see.

And during flower, do you notice that when the lights are off the smell isn't as bad as when the lights are on?

i useally have 9 but i have 12 in there now..maybe start burning toast...air freshners are a dead give away IMO..when I smell them thats the first thing I think of..lol..Im going to smoke my bong now

It doesnt matter lights on or off..I can still smell them..I like it..

what about those room air purifiers for a 12'x14' room. they got the HEPA filters n what not... they claim to clean the air i dont know if i want to spend 140 on something im not sure that works.

You will have an odor problem with that many plants that your neighbors could smell, not to mention postal workers, metermen, ect. Any of the people could call the cops after gettin a whiff. A carbon filter could have ya completely odorless and a whole hell of a lot safer. I have a can filter and nothin can get past it, it's worth every penny, though I know theres some great DIY posts here for em.

well then if my windows stay closed upstairs i have nothing to worry about... there are no doors upstairs.

also i heard you can hang a bunch of dryer sheets?! anyone heard of this working?

How do u get upstairs then?

dryer sheets loose thier smell after about 3 days

BudsBuds said:
well then if my windows stay closed upstairs i have nothing to worry about... there are no doors upstairs.

How are you going to get fresh air to the plants, if you seal off your house?

Air fresheners, dryer sheets, and other stuff like that will not work. Unless your townhouse is fairly new (and fire-caulked), there will be places that the smell can escape from the closet into attics, around electrical outlets, light fixtures, plumbing pipes, etc. Controlling smell is only 1 little tiny part of the challenge of growing. As TES mentioned, you need to figure out your ventilation--the air in your closet needs to be exchanged 3-4 times a minute to give your plants enough CO2. Lighting--you are going to need either a 400W or a 600W HPS for that area.

i already have a 400w HPS, and its only 4 plants. I open my other bedroom windows during the day and have fans blow that air into the spare bedroom where the plants are. The lights will come on at night. And the place is fairly new.... If i only have 4 plants at a time i think ill be good. Also im thinking about flowering in 2 week increments so that i have 2 plants flowering then wait two weeks then flower the other two... so that really im only flowering 2 plants at a time. /
what do you think?

Also i found an ozone generator for 20 bucks. i was gonna use this along with an una block... this seems like the most economical way to hide the smell. $30 and your taken care of...

Latest posts

Back