Cannabis POW of the Month: James Tranmer Is Serving 35 Years For Marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnin1

Reaction score
From tokesignals.com

Cannabis POW of the Month: James Tranmer Is Serving 35 Years For Marijuana

James Tranmer and his wife Judith Kay

“I am an unrepentant ganja man. I refuse to accept any criminality regarding marijuana.”

~ James Tranmer, serving de-facto life for marijuana

By Cheri Sicard
Cannabis Cheri
On January 7, 2016

A true hero of the movement, James Tranmer has never wavered from his convictions, despite having the full weight of the United States federal government thrown at him. Unlike most defendants who are hauled into court and try to disavow their involvement with the thing that brought them there, James Tranmer proudly and defiantly admitted to his marijuana use.

A priest in the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church, a sect of Rastafarianism, Tranmer considers cannabis a sacrament, and considers his prosecution religious persecution. 

While he remains outspoken on the topic to this day, he was equally so during his sentencing hearing, a fact that some have speculated might have influenced US District Judge Lacy Collier into giving him a longer sentence.

“I’m an herb man, I’ve always been an herb man for more than 30 years,” Tranmer told the judge at sentencing. “The herb is a sacrament. Ganja is my sacrament. America is a sick nation spiritually … you cannot win this fight against marijuana. If you fight against the herb, you fight against creation. I will take anything you give me for ganja. You can’t take ganja away from the people. Ganja is what is given by God for the people and you can’t take that away from them.”

She in return gave him 35 years (which is 420 months! – Editor) for the “crime” of helping to finance his son Brian’s marijuana smuggling venture. Brian served 13 years and is now released.

James and his son Brian (they were incarcerated together for awhile) with the mother of his wife

James was first introduced to marijuana in 1966 while attending a friend’s bachelor party. He liked it then and says his esteem and admiration for this mystical plant continues.

Tranmer says, “I have smoked it, eaten it, brewed it in tea, and have always enjoyed the effect it has on me. It is impossible to duplicate the feelings of euphoria I experience when I fire up the ganja.”

He continues, “I’ve grown it, packaged it, transported it, imported it, distributed it, sold it, given it away, and done with all the things which society has found objectionable, and I have never felt as though I had in any way transgressed the divine moral laws that govern mankind…and womankind. I’ve done many things I have later regretted and considered shameful, but none of these acts included my activities with the precious weed. I have always and probably will always as long as I still breathe, champion the unfathomable and countless properties of this fine, misunderstood herb.”

Sadly, unless he receives Presidential clemency, James Tranmer will have to champion the cause of his religious sacrament from behind bars. He will be over 80 years old by the time of his scheduled release.

You can bring some sunshine into a prisoner’s day by sending a card or letter. Write to James Tranmer here:

James Tranmer # 17547-050
FCI Milan
PO Box 1000
Milan, MI 48160

http://www.tokesignals.com/cannabis...es-tranmer-is-serving-35-years-for-marijuana/

Latest posts

Back