Carbon filter question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazmaine420

Reaction score
I'm just starting my third round in a 55 x 55 tent. When I set it up a few months back the instructions indicated that my carbon filter should go inside the tent and should have a seperate duct for air intake. I just added a yeast and sugar water bubbler for CO2 and am thinking its just getting sucked out now. So I'm thinking of moving the filter to a duct on the top outside of the tent. Anyone have an opinion on this? Will it still control odor effectivley?

dsc04108 (2).jpg

with Co2 you dont want to vent your space except a few times for fresh air, but a constant exhause is counter productive, need some more info too... gotta know what your current airflow path looks like, is the filter currently your "intake point"? i believe filters, at least carbon filters are "exhaust points" someone correct me if thats wrong. but from what iv seen in professional setups carbon filters go on the exhaust end of your fan so its blowing through the filter, and a standard non carbon filter would be used for your intake point to keep dust out of your light hood/fan/ducting. also again someone correct me if im wrong but when you use Co2 you need a seperate exhaust system to vent out the TENT periodically through the day for a short time to get fresh air in, then lets the co2 build up again, cycle repeats, and this tent exhaust system would be where you put your carbon filter to eliminate oders, so all in all 2 seperate exhaust set ups, a constantly running one for cooling light and the other for periodic fresh air exchanges. the light setup should pull air from outside tent through duct/hood and exhausted outside tent, so no air is pulled out of the tent while cooling the light.
i personaly dont use Co2 but from what iv read around here and seen on setups at grow shops and professional larger scale setups, i believe im pretty accurate. someone help me here if i missed something or got something mixed up.

There is little if any benefit from using sugar and yeast to produce CO2. To be effective, CO2 needs to be controlled and regulated. My recommendation is to just make sure that you are exchanging your air a couple of times a minute and forget the sugar and yeast.

I agree with THG. You need to leave your filter and light setup just like it is pictured. You are actively exhausting the odor and stale air through the filter and light and then pulling in fresh air passively at the bottom of the tent. If you change this configuration, you could compromise either the venting of warm air and heat from the light, or the odor canceling affect of the filter.

The sugar and yeast trick will not produce much CO2 but if you want to do it for s&g then it will still go by the girls and be utilized before it is vented, especially if you have your exhaust fan turned down some for noise reduction. I wouldn't cut back the fan for the little bit of co2 that it will provide as that is just trading the available co2 from outside air for the little bit that is produced by the fermentation process. You would probably get more co2 production from having a couple dogs stay in the grow space (or the room from which the intake air is being drawn) :)

Hushpuppy said:
I agree with THG. You need to leave your filter and light setup just like it is pictured. You are actively exhausting the odor and stale air through the filter and light and then pulling in fresh air passively at the bottom of the tent. If you change this configuration, you could compromise either the venting of warm air and heat from the light, or the odor canceling affect of the filter.

The sugar and yeast trick will not produce much CO2 but if you want to do it for s&g then it will still go by the girls and be utilized before it is vented, especially if you have your exhaust fan turned down some for noise reduction. I wouldn't cut back the fan for the little bit of co2 that it will provide as that is just trading the available co2 from outside air for the little bit that is produced by the fermentation process. You would probably get more co2 production from having a couple dogs stay in the grow space (or the room from which the intake air is being drawn) :)

Thanks Hushpuppy. Thats what I was looking for. And locking my dog in the grow room, thats brilliant, why hadnt I thought of that!

Just make sure she/he doesn't decide to chew on the kids. Some dogs will eat it. Apparently those dogs are smarter than a lot of our publicly elected officials :hubba:

If I had enough room in my flowering space for a dog, I would put more plants in.

Exchanging your air a couple of times a minute will do more for your plants than a yeast sugar mixture. Any DIY CO2 thing like this is really a waste of time, effort, and money--they simply don't produce enough CO2 to make any difference.

Latest posts

Back