Carr Fire OMG!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbud

Reaction score
Evacuating huge areas around and including Redding Ca. Our hearts go out to those who have lost their homes. This fire is reminiscent of the Napa fire last year. I have never seen a fire grow as fast as this one. Going south, north and east all at the same time. Usually whenever a fire burns near us (20 - 30 miles away) we get smoke for days. This year the high pressure system is making the winds blow east. The Wiskey Town (Carr powerhouse) and the Keswick Power Stations are both closed. Thousands are without power during one of the longest heatwaves I can remember.

The fire has ripped through the historical town of old Shasta. Leaving the brick outer walls alone that have withstood fires many times during the last 150 years. The State made the entire town a state park a few years ago and all that is gone now. It has burned north toward Shasta lake, jumping Keswick Lake.

Just hearing it has exploded to 44,450 acres, almost doubling over night. OMG

They are saying mechanical problems from a vehicle started the fire. Mr TC and I drove right by where it would start 3 hours before the fire started. Woe to those in its path. My heart is breaking for so many humans and animals in peril.

Oh no TCH, that is tragic for so many living things. I don't think we can deny climate change with the fires for the last few years. They are worse, aren't they? I hope you stay safe and your loved ones.

California has had a 5 year drought. Then one year of rain, now way under "normal" last winter. We lost many large trees over the last five years. The fuel out there that is dry is more than normal. But what is normal now? Yesterday I saw a thermal map of the globe on the news, they said 2 degrees higher than "normal". I beleive in climate change due to green house warming from pollution myself.

Hello Guys!

I came in from outside because the smoke has returned. Skies are once again overcast and the hills looked like they are covered in fog. About 5,200 structures are threatened. The Ferguson fire has been burning for about a week. So many fires in this State again this Summer. I hope theses fires get under control soon with no more loss of life.

Went outside last night at sunset and the sun was blood red...very strange looking...
My son lives in Redding on the south western side...They had been on vacation in Seattle and we’re driving home yesterday when I-5 closed...They thought they could divert around and got to Burney where they decided to spend the night...They are in the process of buying their first home which is about as far away from the current fire as can be and still be in Redding, but many of their friends have had to evacuate...They don’t know the status of their current home or if they can even get there...Redding is surrounded on the north and west sides with a lot of brush and fuel...I used to live in Whiskeytown myself back in the early 60’s before Whiskeytown damn was built...always a hot summer out there at the head of California’s big valley... @tcbud I hope you guys are safely far away from this stuff...

@2RedEyes we are safe. The smoked moved in this morning for the first time. I’m expecting it to blow out this afternoon. Hope your son and family are safe. Seeing a lot of structures burned on the news today. Went thru Weaverville awhile ago, not much at all happening at the evacuation center there. School parking lot was close to empty.

@burnin1 , I went thru the Yosemite area after a fire there about 15 years ago, the devistation was massive.

I remember as a kid we lived in a lot of North Cali fire areas...Trinity Center, Lewiston, Whiskeytown, My Dad worked on all of those dam and water projects as a surveyor...Sometimes they would be called on to fight the fires as well back in those days...I remember my older sisters volunteering to make sack lunches for the fire fighters up at the Coffee Creek Ranch resort...some very hard terrain around there as there is at the Ferguson fire I’m sure...

Latest posts

Back