Cfm Computer Fan????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnyce1320

Reaction score
Ok i bought two cfm computer fans from a local computer store rated at 133cfm each which i thought was pretty good. There were 3 wires red, black, and yellow. I assume red=power, black= ground, yellow=remote. No use for the yellow wire so i first tried hooking them up to an 9.6v adapter that I used to charge my remote control car battery and nothing happened. Then i tried hookng them up a 12v extenstion cord. POP! fan started smoking. Tried wiring the other way and nothing. My dumb a$$ did the same thing to the other fan to see if i hooked it up wrong. POP the second fan started smoking. I just threw away $30 in computer fans.

Can someone on here show me how to hook these computer fans up without running threw money trying to find out how?

jnyce1320 said:
Ok i bought two cfm computer fans from a local computer store rated at 133cfm each which i thought was pretty good. There were 3 wires red, black, and yellow. I assume red=power, black= ground, yellow=remote. No use for the yellow wire so i first tried hooking them up to an 9.6v adapter that I used to charge my remote control car battery and nothing happened. Then i tried hookng them up a 12v extenstion cord. POP! fan started smoking. Tried wiring the other way and nothing. My dumb a$$ did the same thing to the other fan to see if i hooked it up wrong. POP the second fan started smoking. I just threw away $30 in computer fans.

Can someone on here show me how to hook these computer fans up without running threw money trying to find out how?

Yellow is a 12v line on computers. Red is 5v. Black is common. They all use DC power. Further complicating things, some fans have a small 3 pin connector that has a white line on them which is used to determine the spinning speed of the fan and relay that information to the computer so that the comptuer can monitor a fan failure.

You probbably would be best finding an AC Fan instead. Factoring in a AC to DC power adapter into your grow, its just one more thing that can go wrong and hurt your plants or yourself.

I have found AC axial fans that run on wall plugs, and I was able to find the adapters so that it was as easy as plugging in a lamp and hitting on. They cost me $5.99 each on Ebay, and the power adapters cost $4 for two of them.

yea i had seen some fans on ebay that already have a 12v inline cord on them for like $15 but were only rated at like 70-80 cfm. i saw theses at the store rated at 133cfm so i was like why not.

Just a few stupid fans. Don't let it get to ya :p

lol thanks. ill just go and find the recepits and see if i can pull a little guilt scene to return them hehe!!!

That my friend, is termed 'social engineering'.

I never feel too too guilty about it. Not after I realized how it's built into the system (which rips me off). People on commission, for example, are just the beginning.

Goodluck! Have fun with your mask

I flip through his book and laugh. Sometimes I even find solutions to my problems. :D

Yeah its a great book.

And the book is called "The Art of Deception" for anybody looking for a good read on Social Engineering. Mitnik would be the famous hacker (author) who managed to get people to just give them their passwords over the phone by asking them. Oddly enough, i chuckle when I ask for peoples e-mail addresses and they offer up their password as well at work. (I work at a help desk).

Replaced my computer fans and bought dc adapters. Made sure i hooked them up the right way this time lol. $Adapters were $18 each at radioshack! WHAT A RIPOFF! Temps still a little high though. Im putting my box fan on the window sil to blow in COLD air, hopefully this helps.

Latest posts

Back