Cheap LED light to start seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPT

Hago
Reaction score
Hey y'all, looking for a cheap led light that will let me start my plants indoors, doesn't need to be anything big since they'll be there for a week or 2 max, after which they will be transferred outside. been looking at these led lamps that give me either 18 or 45 watts, full spectrum of light, timer and all that, question is, will that be enough? or should I look into something more powerful? cheers

If all your doing is prepping for them to go outside, you may not need a timer. Full spectrum is best but be careful, it took me a week of research before I replaced my blurples. A good week! Some times it gets a little boring but you can def look up old treads here as the LED topic has been discussed many of times. There is soooooo much ** out there about my light is better than yours when it comes to LED advertising and propaganda. But, Yea, If all your doing is prep to go outside and that's it, you shouldn't have to put a ton of time, work and money into your decision. IDK If you consider yourself a newbie or if you even have the space or means, but if you think there is half a chance that you may evolve into an indoor person than you will want to do the leg work/research and be ready to drop some coin. Hopefully someone else chimes in.

If you haven't done the intro thing yet, do it. (out of respect for the OG's "Old Growers") AND WELCOME TO THE PASSION, at first here it is better to listen and learn. The old farts thread and the island of misfits will give you the feel for the place and people. I am in between newbie and intermediate (I guess) growing indoors and have a ton of experience outdoors.

If all your doing is prepping for them to go outside, you may not need a timer. Full spectrum is best but be careful, it took me a week of research before I replaced my blurples. A good week! Some times it gets a little boring but you can def look up old treads here as the LED topic has been discussed many of times. There is soooooo much ** out there about my light is better than yours when it comes to LED advertising and propaganda. But, Yea, If all your doing is prep to go outside and that's it, you shouldn't have to put a ton of time, work and money into your decision. IDK If you consider yourself a newbie or if you even have the space or means, but if you think there is half a chance that you may evolve into an indoor person than you will want to do the leg work/research and be ready to drop some coin. Hopefully someone else chimes in.
alright thats good to hear, I'm def gonna be looking to transition into indoor growing, but since I'm somewhat new and its still illegal to grow under lamps here ill have to stick to what I got now.

Hey y'all, looking for a cheap led light that will let me start my plants indoors, doesn't need to be anything big since they'll be there for a week or 2 max, after which they will be transferred outside. been looking at these led lamps that give me either 18 or 45 watts, full spectrum of light, timer and all that, question is, will that be enough? or should I look into something more powerful? cheers
You want to give your plants a good start, so making them stretch to find some weak light as seedlings might be penny wise but pound foolish, pardon the pun.

HLUX 40w ea. I buy these in pairs, using the 2ft version for my small tents.. less then $40 for the 2. amazon.

Daylight spectrum, NO BLURPLE CRAP.. these daisy chain and a pair of these will veg 6 plants just fine. I run 2 in each tent.

I've often wondered, and may do an experimental grow with those 4 ft led shop lights. With some of the strip supplemental red lights added, wonder how well it would do?

Bubba

You want to give your plants a good start, so making them stretch to find some weak light as seedlings might be penny wise but pound foolish, pardon the pun.
yeh well not everyone has the budget/space/legality for a big ass 500 watt grow light. gotta do what ya gotta do

True that. When I see bud I'm interested in at medical joints for hundreds an ounce, and I can go through that about every 30 days....

Watch sales, particularly around April 20, Black Friday, etc. I got a Mars hydro sp 3000 for under 300, combining this and other sites discount code. In 2x2 space, 10 to 15 oz.

The 100 watt lights are reasonable, when I started I bought one, in veg added another, and added third.

Just start somewhere, and add to it. As you do, your results will get better and better.

Bubba

yeh well not everyone has the budget/space/legality for a big ass 500 watt grow light. gotta do what ya gotta do
For seedlings and early veg, that's not necessary, but if your seedlings start out with long spindly stems because they are searching for light, you may limit the potential of your plant. That seems like a false economy to me.

I have used CFLs many times for seedlings and small plants with great results. Plus you can put them just a few inches away and it doesn't hurt them.

20210302_174304.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back