Cloning with a Mist Maker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokingjoe

What was I saying?
Reaction score
I've always wondered whether cloning with a mist maker would work.

You can buy one on ebay for $20

I guess looking at the second picture you would have to agree that the answer to the question is a definitive yes.

This was a pretty simply build. I just took a 60ltr crate with plastic lid as you can see in the picture and drilled 15 holes in the top to take a small 75mm net pot. I then took a pool noodle from Clark Rubber and cut 15 lengths off it, about 60mm would do, and then inserted these in the new holes; the idea being that once they were rooted you could pop them in a net pot and replace the pool noodle. You could possibly skip this step and just use the net pots and medium, but I'm not sure if it would work as I've not tried it

If I was going to refine it, I would use a crop box and plastic lid as you can buy fairly solid humidity domes to suit. If you are on a budget you could always use any dark solid plastic crate with solid lid and a clear plastic crate of the same size; which should sit over the top and act as the humidity dome.

All up cost would be $40 if you had the whole saw, maybe another 20 if you didn't, you could use a Hot Knife or a Soldering Iron but the molten plastic will stink like hell.

Fill tub with water, add a very week nute solution, I used 1 spoon of miracle grow and about a tea spoon of clonex gell; mix it all up turn on the mister and badda boom budda bing, one of the easiest cloners I've come across.

Depending on the ambient humidity you may want to spray the cuts with a weak nute solution.

Easy job for someone with limited handy man skills.

The best part was from cutting to rooting has been 7 days, so me no complain.

If you were using a non organic nute solution it mightn't be a bad idea to whack in some h2o2 just to prevent mold and algae.

mist-maker-ct-24-788.jpg

dump001.jpg

Seen like you see lot of ppl having trouble with then clogging up and some of the cuttings dying because they are not getting enough moisture.

Please kill the off site live links

Hey Ozzie,

I will fix up the off-site links. Cheers.

I put in 15 cuts and 12 have made it so not at all displeased with that.

I'm not suggesting this is the best way to clone anything, I was just curious and had the bits lying around.

How does the mist maker clog up?

From what I have read particles uin the water collect in them and plug the hole up. This does confuse me tho, because I thought you where to use plain water in them. I guess its the trace element in the water that causes the clog.

ozzydiodude said:
From what I have read particles uin the water collect in them and plug the hole up. This does confuse me tho, because I thought you where to use plain water in them. I guess its the trace element in the water that causes the clog.

You might be thinking of a mist maker that relies on high pressure water. This particular mister uses ultra sonic vibrations and a ceramic plate. There is nothing to actually clog. The additives to the water might reduce the service life of the disc, but these can be replaced and are very cheap.

You normally buy them with a floating ring that allows the mister to sit below the water level at the optimum height.

I've had this particular unit for around 8 years without any hassles.

Absolutely very cool Joe. Thanks. Looking at them most say don't run for more than 8 hours. You running that one continuously?

I've had it Running Continuously, however if you were a little wary of doing so you could pop it on a timer with maybe 5hrs on 1 off. I think the biggest issue could be it running dry, but in 60ltrs of water it would take about a month to empty so I'm not sure if I'd get too excited about that.

This really was just one of those, well let's see if it works issues.

I guess where it could be of great benefit was if someone had arthritis and couldn't work with fiddly components; just whack the mister in the water and problem solved.

If you Mister doesn't come with a floating ring, be sure to buy one, they are only a few dollars.

Latest posts

Back