CO2 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surreptitious

Supreme Chancellor
Reaction score
stumbled across some CO2 info at another site. lots of good info like a DIY $5 CO2 Generator and such.

my question is, does MJ only use CO2? Does it use anything else in the air?

like this:

"However, plants can't produce glucose, carbohydrates and oxygen without light. To get through the night, most plants reverse the process of photosynthesis and breathe, like you and I, by burning carbohydrates and oxygen while producing carbon dioxide and water. So surround yourself with plants during the day but remove them from your bedroom at night when you sleep."

hxxp://health.yahoo.com/experts/drmao/728/plants-and-oxygen-an-explanation/

Way to in depth for me, need coffee first. $5 CO2 generator? What?

Cheap DIY CO2 things do not work. CO2 needs to be regulated and monitored to be effective. You also need other things, like a sealed room, exhaust coordinated with CO2 release, elevated temps, etc. If you want to enhance CO2 in your room, plan on spending around $1000.

If you exchange the air in your space 3-4 times a minute, you are getting more CO2 to your plants than any inexpensive DIY setup will provide.

the DIY CO2 thing uses a 2 liter bottle, water, sugar and yeast.

but does MJ only use CO2? or does it breath O2 at night?

mj also needs O2 in order to grow:aok:

and like THG said those c02 2 liter bottle deals do little to nothing. I had 4 of them set up at one time in a small space, and there was no noticeble difference...save yourself the time and money, or spend the money and get the right set-up.

lol, ok guys, i get it...my question was not if the cheap CO2 system would work. my question was: does MJ use O2 and expel CO2 at night like other plants?

"
surreptitious said:
stumbled across some CO2 info at another site. lots of good info like a DIY $5 CO2 Generator and such.

my question is, does MJ only use CO2? Does it use anything else in the air?"

Homemade CO2 producers are typically inefficient, hard to maintain and monitor. I'd suggest looking at an investment if you choose to go that route.

Plants use many aspects of the atmosphere to properly thrive. Marijuana requires CO2, O2 and many other gases. At lights out, during the Calvin cycle, plants utilize very little CO2 from the air and require O2 - this is the reason we vent CO2 at night and provide fresh, more O2 rich air at dark periods.

Day time, as you mentioned CO2 is used to make energy by the plant. Lets consider, however, if you grow organically - incorperating "fixating" microbial life in the soil. This microbial life can literally pull usable gases from the air and supply food for the plant. It is complex and amazing. Taking advantage of microbial life can be important, and considering an atmosphere indicative to growth needs research. Your on the right track........best of luck

Jman

surreptitious said:
the DIY CO2 thing uses a 2 liter bottle, water, sugar and yeast.

but does MJ only use CO2? or does it breath O2 at night?
yeah the sugar yeast thing, i guess it could work if you purchase a ton of sugar with every grow, take the advice spare your effort ;)

Latest posts

Back