Co2/ventilation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazeydays

Reaction score
Ok guy's and girls and all experts,

I have a 12 by 14 room im getting ready,

panda film
4 1000 watt lights not air cooled ( parabolic )
gas burning co2 generator
climate control device with co2 sniffer
2 6'' fans for vent. and intake
and a ozone gen. for teh smell

So I was told I did not have to worry to much about heat with the use of co2. 900-1500 ppm.
How often should I run my intake and exhaust fans to clear heat?
Should I just keep an eye on the heat and co2 readings and adjust. :confused:

I do not use CO2 but from what I have read from people that do, they run their room temps at 85-90f

HI,

imho you should re-think your plan. There's NO way you'll keep temps below 100º or more :eek: without some serious A/C if you don't use air cooled lights. One 1K HPS requires venting the heat let alone 4... I'd suggest going with closed ventilation with air cooled hoods and hook up the hood exhaust so that you are pulling cool air from outside your grow room to pull thru the lights and then exhaust the hot air outside of your grow space. By using a closed ventilation system to vent the heat off the lights you won't be constantly fighting your ventilation while trying to produce and maintain your desired CO2 in PPM.

For a grow room that size imo you're going to do much better keeping odors under control with a good sized carbon filter rated for your space. IME ozone generators are like putting an inadequate band-aid on the odor issue. A carbon filter will nip the problem in the bud, bud...;) With a closed vent system you'd want to get a large carbon filter and an adequate fan to constantly filter and exchange the air within the room and your odor worries will be a thing of the past. A carbon filter is the best $$ I've spent in my grow as far as peace of mind goes...

Happy Growing!:cool:

:yeahthat:

In addition to what DOS pointed out, 4 1000W lights are inadequate for a space that large--you should be looking at probably 6 of them. I believe that you will also find 2 6" fans to be way too small. I use 2 6" fans in a space 3 x 6-1/2.

Agree with above. I have 5k in a 10x12, that would be minimum. I use 424cfm, intake with temps incoming about 50 degrees. And double that for exhaust with carbon filters. I dont use hoods though. My temps are 65-75. Pics are below.

nouvellechef said:
Agree with above. I have 5k in a 10x12, that would be minimum. I use 424cfm, intake with temps incoming about 50 degrees. And double that for exhaust with carbon filters. I dont use hoods though. My temps are 65-75. Pics are below.

Why dont you use reflectors on your lights? Seems like everytime I read something by Ed Rosenthal or any of "those" guys they claim that its mandatory. I see a lot of very skilled growers not using them. Whats your reason?

ASEgrower said:
Why dont you use reflectors on your lights? Seems like everytime I read something by Ed Rosenthal or any of "those" guys they claim that its mandatory. I see a lot of very skilled growers not using them. Whats your reason?

Hes using a parabolic, like an upside down umbrella.

You want a reflector thats going to give you the footprint of your grow area.

Parabolics are wide and round. and narrow hoods give a more focused narrow footprint.

You can also experiment with the height of the bulb within the reflector to focus the light.

I have very unlevel surface and height restrictions. So I choose to run vertical lighting and allow the AK to veg taller and the SSH to veg short and bushy. One strain surrounding the lights and the rest underneath. I will use hoods next go around in new room.

Hey Guys.

Thank you for all replies,
I will be running a fan for fresh air from outside, with winter nearly here i feel that i can keep temps in the good, with a fan to exhaust hot air out every hour for at least 15 min. Don't forget in trying to keep my co2 in the room best as i can. You must remember plants love co2 not oxygen.
I'm thinking i may need ac but i will run the room first to see what happens.
By the way i will use a carbon filter along with many fans blowing over plants,co2 gen., pretty much every were to break up heat and stir teh co2 the good stuff!!!
1500 ppm the plants won't mind a little heat Imo.

Sounds like you got a plan. Start a journal or post pics along the way. What you have for pest control? What strain/s, are you gonna run? I found the hardway, 1st time. You can have the best room, but without quality genetics, really won't matter. Trust me, spend the $100 on the right seeds.

I must get a camera first, but plan on taking pics
I have AK clones coming soon, still getting controls ready.
Should turn out nice though. Have been growing in a 4 by 4 tent for a while with a 1000 watt light. going 4 a larger yield this time.

I like AK. I am in week 5 flower. Will update pics in week 9.

TEMPERATURE
Proper temperature is one highly variable factor. Most books state optimum grow temperature to be 70-80 degrees, but many list extenuating circumstances that allow temperatures to go higher. Assuming genetics is not a factor, plants seem to be able to absorb more light at higher temps, perhaps up to 90 degrees. High light and CO2 levels could make this go as high as 95 degrees for increased growth speed.* An optimum of 95 degrees is new data that assumes very-high light, CO2 enrichment of 1500 ppm and good regular venting to keep humidity down. It is not clear if these temperature will reduce potency in flowers. It may be a good idea to reduce temperatures once flowering has started, to preserve potency, even if it does reduce growth speed. But higher temperatures will make plants grow vegetatively much faster, by exciting the plants metabolism, assuming the required levels of CO2 and light are available, and humidity is not allowed to get too high.
With normal levels of CO2, in a well vented space, 90 degrees would seem to be the absolute max, while 85 may be closer to optimum, even with a great deal of light available. Do not let the room temperature get over 35 C (95 F) as this hurts growth. Optimal temperature is 27-30 C (80-86 F) if you have strong light with no CO2 enrichment. Less than 21 C (70 F) is too cold for good growth.
Low temperatures at night are OK down to about 60 degrees outdoors, then start to effect the growth in a big way. Mid 50�s will cause mild shock and 40�s will kill your plants with repeated exposure. Keep your plants warm, especially the roots. Elevate pots if you think the ground is sucking the heat out of the roots. This is an issue if you have a slab or other type of cold floor.
As temperature goes up, so does the ability of the air to hold water, thus reducing humidity, so a higher average temperature should reduce risk of fungus.
Contrary to many reports, high humidity is not good for plants except during germination and rooting. Lower humidity levels help the plant transpire CO2 and reduce risk of molds during flowering.
Studies indicate the potency of buds goes down as the temperature goes up, so it is important to see that the plants do not get too hot during flowering cycles.
? D. Gold: CO2, Temperature and Humidity, 1991 Edited by E. Rosenthal.

Green mojo. Good luck. What are you planning on using for bug control?

Not sure, Hope not to have much trouble with pest. Some thing Organic .
What do you use?

I have tried organic this, that, lots of different treatments. None actually killed off and kept dead anything in the room. Until Floramite. One dose in veg and one in flower, week 1 or 2 to for both. Will take care of the big concern, mites. For the the rest I use Ortho, fruit an veg spray. One full dose of each in the first weeks. Nothing survives, at least in my room. A room your size is way to much time and work, to let bugs hurt your overall crop.

Hey, Thanks 4 the info. will look into it. plan to have every thing up and running in a week.
will try to keep all in MP up to date.

Latest posts

Back