Computer fan Wiring.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwe

Reaction score
I took a 12volt computer fan outa an old computer. I would like to know how I would wire it.. into a plug.. so it could be plugged into a outlet it has one black wire and one red wire.

Will post a picture later just hoping for maybe some help :rolleyes:

Well thank you alot I tried using a cellphone.. charger you think that will work as long as its 12v? or what do you think :D but thanks

I kinda am a handy man but only 17 I can ask my dad to help me wire it (but i can do it) ... but i walked around my house and the only thing i found with a 12v output VDC is my speedstream cable box? i can most likely find another one but think this will work all my cell phone chargers are like 4.1v so What you think

qwe said:
I kinda am a handy man but only 17

Don't you hate it when they out themselves....:holysheep:

But, to answer your question, 4.1volts will make it spin, but not very fast. I found you need a minimum of about 9 volts to get decent air-flow.

You can pick up chargers like that at Radio Shack. The one I got has a little lever to adjust the voltage.

Oh well i dunno this is real confusing im gunna get another fan soon take it out of a computer take a few pics and show ug uys get you guys to help

I gave up on this... so im going to just find some quick ways to make 100$ and buy new fans... thank guys for your help and if i buy a new fan and stuff any suggestions?

Sorry but you must be 18 years old to be a member of this site.
qwe said:
Well thank you alot I tried using a cellphone.. charger you think that will work as long as its 12v? or what do you think :D but thanks

I kinda am a handy man but only 17 I can ask my dad to help me wire it (but i can do it) ... but i walked around my house and the only thing i found with a 12v output VDC is my speedstream cable box? i can most likely find another one but think this will work all my cell phone chargers are like 4.1v so What you think

LOL, this is my temporary fan setup.. Until I can find out how to get both 12v and 5v connections coming out of a 12v wall adapter into a 4 pin molex connection. I know you guys don't like my fan setup, but I'm working on it!

To answer your question, you can pick up a wall adapter from radioshack for 20 bucks, I got the universal one, meaning it can run from 3v-12v depending on what I want.. The wire with the dash marks on them is the negative, other one is your positive.. On a computer fan, the yellow wire is the 12v +, black is your negative.. Be careful, secure your connections, and do not plug it into the wall until everything is unexposed and safely connected.

Picture 001b.jpg

Latest posts

Back