cracked seeds...bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahomy

Reaction score
got some seeds the other day(recd 4-1-13) and went to plant 4 of them last nite, and i noticed that the shell was split open a little on all 4 of them(2 red dragon and 2 acapulco gold, both from barneys through attitude)...reading over at the mandala site, they recommend not soaking there seeds, blah, blah, blah, because theres enough moisture inside with there healthy embryo`s....so, if my seeds are cracked and air is getting in, there can`t be much moisture in there right?
Also while handling the red dragon seeds(very lighty mind u)...the seeds are brown, and speckled w/black, this outer coating was flaking off!!!(the brown and black) leaving what looked like underneath, a whitish/tan immature seed....ughh
None of this sounds good to me:( ...is this normal?

Dont reckon it sounds good but then gain its why yual baught them so as to look at them fur the novalty they be ;) Now ifin yual were plannin to plants them; that be different story and probably ilegal too ;) Sorry about yur situation pilgrem hopes yual gettem to do what yual need em to do ;)

BWD

It doesn't really sound normal. However I don't believe that I have heard negative things about Barney's gear. In this instance, I think I would put the seeds between paper towels or soak. The main reason for planting seeds directly into your mediums is to prevent disease and injury to the tender tap root. Every time you handle a sprouted seed you risk damaging it or transferring pathogens to it. Just use the same cleanliness standards as when you are handling food (lol, I know that sounds funny when we are talking about dirt) and be very gently when transferring to soil or other medium.

of the seeds i have left, 4/all of the acapulco gold are cracked/split on one side/seam...3 of the red dragon...the same...(both from barneys)black domina`s look perfect(world of seeds)...and the free ch9`s are also not split...oh well...
I think I would put the seeds between paper towels or soak.
I`m using grodan/rockwell cubes...same thing right?? I think i`ll cut my cube in half and place my seed, oriented correctly, in the premade hole(which is in half now) and then replace other half and retape together...it`s really hard to get the seed pointed end up down in that premade hole, even with magnifying glass and mini flashlight...

Also, the seeds have been stored in mini hash containers(from dispensary) and then in the "tin" from attitude, and then in a dark, locked safe, in an unheated, unused, spare bedroom(my room:( ), just trying to point out that i don`t think they started germinating since i got them....

I planted 4 seeds last nite(2 acapulco gold and 2 red dragon) but this time i`ve got them in a dark closet with a heating pad on low under them...

Can i give myself some green mojo?;)

I would put in paper towel or water first to see if they are going to pop. Putting them in rockwool is not the same thing. I use rapid rooters, but often split them down the center to orient seeds or insert cuttings. I also find it hard to get the seeds in the holes correctly and the holes are a little large. Make sure you soak the rockwwol in water pH'd to about 5.5.

Of course you can give yourself green mojo. Here is a little more:

Green Mojo

Latest posts

Back