cutting large leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

life passion

Reaction score
I would like to know is there a such thing as to much cutting of large leaves. I have a AERO 36 with a 1000 watt conv. light system I am 3 days within flowering I cut the large leaves that had new growth 1 inch long between the branch and the long leaf. Could this harm my baby? I cut them so that light could get to the new growth. This my first grow I have 16 females from clones of some good smoking bag seeds. I would love to post pics but the software from the link is not working on my computer.

i would not recommend cuting the fan leafs..they need the most light..i did it and it stop growth for about a week and a half

Capone is correct in the sense that if you cut to much of the plant. I myself cut leafs of my plant to get light to lower buds. But i do it in moderation, ill cut a few, wait a week and if there is a couple more that i could cut i will. For the most part i dont really cut the whole thing off, i trim the leafs so that they are still there, just cut back alittle to let light get in to the buds under it. cutting to much of the plant like Capone stated will stunt the plants growth, if you cut to much. The importance of a leafs is that they hold water/nutrients in them up until the late flowering stage where the plant will use all of this and the leafs will sort of die. So i will recommend not cutting to many leafs off, but try trimming them down first. also try using rubber ties to tie the leafs together and out of them way. I did this to my 3 ladies, as well as LST and i must say there are quite happy and healthy. So good luck with your grow.

Well said Rocker, and you too Capone, you both got it perfect.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Gotta jump in here folks. I have to fill you in on some facts about MJ.

The plant receives energy from the light that hits every leaf on the plant. When light hits one leaf all the way up on the top, that energy is shared all over the plant, not just where the light hits.

MJ's leaf will turn, grow, get larger, move,....all according to what the plant needs. It will pull in every lumen it can from the available light that hits any leaf on it's entire mass.

Trimming *any* leaf from an MJ plant is only hurting the plant and defeating it's ability to gather light for itself.

Getting light to the lower leaf on the plant is a very, very popular fiction that has been spread to thousands of people who don't understand the biology of how MJ gathers light.

The lower buds on an MJ plant are smaller because of growth hormones that are naturally directed to the upper portions of the plant. The lower buds receive less of the growth hormones and stay smaller as a result. No amount of light will change that.

If you trim leaf from your plant, you're causing it harm.

If the leaf is more than half dead, then, and only then is it wise to remove it from the plant to avoid having the plant send "repair" hormones to the injured area.

Please, do your share to dispel the myth that lower buds need light. They don't. Light has *nothing* to do with lower bud development.

This is a fact. It's easily checked by asking anyone who knows plant biology.

Put all of your light on the top of the canopy where it will be used by the entire plant.

:goodposting: :yeahthat:
Well that pretty much sums it up......

I agree to leave them leaves alone. The only ones I remove (except when I'm topping or training) are the yellow ones, and they pull off the plant very easily.

You need all the photosynthesis factories you can muster. This produces sugar which the plant converts to more veg or flower growth. You are only hurting production when you close down your factories.

I agree with Stoney Bud for the most part.

It is causing a little stress to remove the leaf and you can remove up to 30% in trimming. To me thats alot. The reason I trim fan leaves is air flow. My canopy can be so dense I have had a dying off of fan leaves.

I grow indoors in a small cabinet I find it better to occasional trim some fan leaves and bud sites than to leave it to grow wild. I can't imagine that I'm gaining or losing that much so I call it even. I also LST which causes stress to the plant. I grow the plant to my needs as much as its needs.

screwdriver said:
I agree with Stoney Bud for the most part.

It is causing a little stress to remove the leaf and you can remove up to 30% in trimming. To me that's a lot. The reason I trim fan leaves is air flow. My canopy can be so dense I have had a dying off of fan leaves.

I grow indoors in a small cabinet I find it better to occasional trim some fan leaves and bud sites than to leave it to grow wild. I can't imagine that I'm gaining or losing that much so I call it even. I also LST which causes stress to the plant. I grow the plant to my needs as much as its needs.

It's not me that is thinking this up. I'm only quoting what every plant biologist on the planet has found to be true.

You should trim NO leafs. When a leaf browns or yellows, and the plant is healthy, it's it's because the plant has grown to a point where the yellowing leaf is no longer getting light as a result of other leaf that has grown further up on the plant. This is a natural thing and in no way affects the growth of the plant.

When healthy leaf yellows, just let it fall naturally from the plant. It will do so right after it no longer supplies the plant via photosynthesis.

LST means "Low Stress Training" and can be done to redirect the plant to fill out a growing area.

"Trimming" using the 30% rule is to keep a host plant at a manageable size and not to a plant that is being grown for bud.

I'll say it again; You should NEVER cut healthy leafs from a plant that you are growing for bud. It harms the plant. This has been proven so many times in studies that it's just not worth arguing over. It's a proven fact of plant biology.

There are individual reasons to trim or cut leaf from a plant, but none that are to promote better growth of bud.

Leave your light gathering leaf alone. Take them when they are half or more than half dead. The plant cannot heal the dead leaf, but will continue to attempt to do so by creating and sending a "Healing Hormone" to the injured area until it does fall off and the stub is healed. If it's already half dead, just remove that leaf as gently as possible and it will enable the plant to heal the stem faster and save more energy for other growth. Up until the leaf is half dead, it's still providing enough photosynthesis to be worth it to the plant. After half or more is dead, it no longer is a viable leaf and is costing the plant more than it can produce via photosynthesis.

All of this information can be verified by investigating the appropriate areas of plant biology. Start "Googling" and you'll find it. Or, many books are available on the subject.

Stoney Bud said:
Light has *nothing* to do with lower bud development.

I find that very, very hard to belive. I have 1 plant that im doing LST on and 2 that i have topped. the LST plant, wich is more of a bush i should say, the lower buds on it are the same size and still growing bigger and denser each day. im using a 1000w 12 inches away from my plants. On one of the topped plants wich im also tieing down, the lower buds are turing into bigger colas then the top buds. and like i have said, i trim alittle bit of leafs, i try not to cut thoe whole leaf off, just trim it and my plants are bushy green and if they could talk im sure they would say they are happy. Im not trying to arguing with you Stoney, i know you are right about cutting the leafs will hurt the plant, but like everything with MJ plants, it could just depend on the strain. And God himself could tell me light doesnt help lower buds and ill laugh at him.

Man listen to the facts..all the answers are in this thread already

Rocker420 said:
I find that very, very hard to belive. And God himself could tell me light doesnt help lower buds and ill laugh at him.

Then there is no point is explaining the biological facts of how a plant grows. You've made your mind up without even researching it.

What I've said is already proven by scientists. There is no arguing it.

Thanks for all of the knowledge I really learned a lot from you guys. l will stop the cutting.

Stoney...quick question...

I went away for a week and left my plants in there kit while i was gone and they got very little attention. When I came back, my bigger plant was completely flooded with healthy dark green leaves. So much so that the they were almost completely covering the other plants in my kit. I trimmed off something like a 1/2 ounce of leaves, and made my plant look like a bonzai. Did I just completely mess up my whole grow? Is this going to take weeks for the plant to heal? I hope I didn't ruin my whole plant. It still looks ok, just not as healthy, and the buds havent grown much since.

pics would help...and you probably delayed your Veg\Flowering by a significant amount of time. Not all hope is lost just hope she\he pulls through the shock. Theres a 30% rule you should look into.. hope this helps..am i right stoney?

Yep, you're on the right track capone. Hazeman, I'm not sure what you mean by "Kit".

The only worry I would have is if you caused enough stress to make the plant go Hermie. Each strain has different limitations to what it can handle.

Time will tell.

For a couple of weeks, the plant you trimmed heavily will go from shock to growth again. Be easy on it's nutes. It hasn't the need for them much while in shock. After the plant is growing good again, start up your nutes as you were using them before.

Good luck man!

Latest posts

Back