diesel ryder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

growkindnugs

hey everybody, i'm on about day 2 of my first grow in years! its going really good so far, right now the 10 seedlings are in starter plugs, inside a humidity dome, and under a shop fluoro light with 2 agro bulbs..i plan on leaving them under the fluoros for another week and then transplanting to 3 gal grow bags with ocean forest soil and fox farm nutes. i have a couple of questions about the lighting, i've been reading around that diesel ryders like 20/4 of hps and i had planned on getting a 400 watt hps, but i have the opportunity to get a high quality hydrofarm 400 watt MH for dirt cheap, i mean next to nothing. do you guys think it would be ok to use a MH for the enitire grow? and is it possible to get a hps conversion bulb that will run hps in a MH light?? any help would be appreciated, thanks again...

I've never heard of that before, good question...

Im lookin in Jorge Cervantes grow bible and the charts look like its possible. I wouldn't recommend it personally, not to say it couldnt be done, but the spectrum usage on the HPS is much more specified toward flowering (concentrations in the yellow/ orange/ red spectrum of light). the Metal Halide puts out more blues, UV, and greens, with a lot less yellows and oranges and reds comparatively speaking.

Honestly, i dont see why it wouldnt work, but i can almost guarentee it wont put out like an HPS. you can buy a conversion bulb. The HPS bulbs put out the extra red/oranges/yellows because its closer to the sun's output during the fall season, when marijuana naturally blooms.

What ever you decide to do good luck! I hope this helped, and if im wrong im sorry. But im pretty possitive. I can tell you that your best bet is to just go with an HPS, again, im not saying the MH wont work, just not as well.

so it's possible to put a hps conversion bulb into a metal halide light?? cause i can order one of those and then i'll have both! thanks a lot man

I love to use lighting more on the blue end of the spectrum. Different Kalvin lights are ideal for different things. To keep things short and sweet, blue light (MH bulbs) stimulate strong, healthy cellular production of plant cells. I like to use this lighting throughout my entire grow. I get amazing trichome production, but may not get the weight like you may get with HPS bulbs.

I would be more specific, but I haven't really talked about this with anyone in a long time :rolleyes: heheh.

Just be confident that if you use MH bulb, your grows will be amazing. Quality will be top notch but quantity may lag by as much as 20%. GL champ!

growkindnugs said:
... do you guys think it would be ok to use a MH for the enitire grow? and is it possible to get a hps conversion bulb that will run hps in a MH light?? ...

I use a Warm Metal Halide bulb and it works great for the entire grow. This bulb is suppose to have more of the red and oranges in it spectrum.
Yes they sell conversion bulbs that do that, but they also sell bulbs that have both mh and hps in one bulb, but are pretty expensive and I have found them only for the bigger watt ballasts.

If you buy the mh light than you wont be able to convert to an hps bulb for flower unless the lamp was built for both. I know there are conversion ones but the light i have only takes hps bulbs and if i put an mh in there who knows what will happen. Personally i prefer floros for veg and hps for flower but that mh light sounds like a good deal for you.

get a MH\HPS ballast they are pretty cheap now...problem solved

thanks for all the input dudes...i just couldn't turn down the deal on that MH light, and i haven't decided what i'm goin to do yet!? i'm thinkin i may try the MH throughout the grow, and see how it effects my yield...these diesel ryders are low yeilders anyway, like 1 oz a plant, so if i can get something close to that, and its of super quality, that sounds awesome to me..

growkindnugs said:
hey everybody, i'm on about day 2 of my first grow in years! its going really good so far, right now the 10 seedlings are in starter plugs, inside a humidity dome, and under a shop fluoro light with 2 agro bulbs..i plan on leaving them under the fluoros for another week and then transplanting to 3 gal grow bags with ocean forest soil and fox farm nutes. i have a couple of questions about the lighting, i've been reading around that diesel ryders like 20/4 of hps and i had planned on getting a 400 watt hps, but i have the opportunity to get a high quality hydrofarm 400 watt MH for dirt cheap, i mean next to nothing. do you guys think it would be ok to use a MH for the enitire grow? and is it possible to get a hps conversion bulb that will run hps in a MH light?? any help would be appreciated, thanks again...
\
You can use Metal Halide 20/4 for the life of the lowryder, it doesnt matter if its HPS or MH lowryders will still flowering and finish 9-10 weeks from seed to harvest, they prefer 20/4 i would just MH them not HPS, because you want them to grow as big as they can and flower on there own, you dont really want to try to force flowering on a lowryder..JMO
good luck

You'll nab an oz if you're extremely lucky... Even if you were to use a HPS bulb. This is your first grow in a while. Kick back and keep it simple. You're going to have some free green in 8 weeks to puff. :48:

A lowryder will flower with any light you give it, once the seed cracks and is planted, there is no going back, it is going to flower whether you want it to or not :)

awesome, thanks a lot for all the knowledge! i'm going to use the MH on a 20/4 regime throughout the grow...ahhh, i forgot how much i love growing, the seedlings are only like 4 days old, but their looking extremely happy! and i had 10/10 sprout up, so i'm hoping 7 females...i'll put some pics up soon of my setup, its pretty ghetto and lowtech, but i think it'll work...i'm gonna upgrade my garden after this first crop...thanks again

Latest posts

Back