Does bulb brand really matter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
im thinking about upgrading my hps bulb. im using a 400w hps ballast right now and was wondering does the brand of the light bulb for a 400 w hps really matter. I mean does it matter if your bulb cost 80 dollars or 30 dollars? im only using it fo flowering and iam using the mh conversion bulb for veg.was wondering if this is one of those things were you get what you pay for?

It depends, have you pushed your grow to the max and are looking for that little extra something to push it farther? Haha, I know I'm far from being that guy, so I buy cheaper, kinda my thoughts behind it...

i think im just bored of waiting for these things to flower so im just trying to find something to consider

yeah I was wondering the same thing myself. I seen some bulbs on line really cheap but was reading about some sort of coating that is put on some bulbs for a extra little boost. I'm wondering if thats just propaganda or if the brand does matter. Till i find out for sure I go cheap and easy.

.."I".. personally bought one of the 'enhanced spectrum' mh conversion bulbs when they were relatively new on the market. I think then it cost me right at $200. I was disapointed with the results, and swore "never again"... I buy directly from the elec. supply house. Last 1k I purchased was under $60.

i think your paying for the name and the fact its marketed as a grow bulb.
i have used many different brands of light's
Hortilux
Super Agro
Sun Master
Eye
and the $20-30 home depot cheapo's
they are just as good as the $100+ grow bulbs IMO
i also have a light meter all the lights show about the same lumens with a small variance.
i will never by another grow light ever again just the cheapo's:hubba:;)

IMO it depends on the type of ballast and the size bulb. Digital ballasts seem to like some bulbs better than others. Depending on 400, 600 or 1000w determines which bulb to buy. HPS or MH. Digi don't like MH conversion bulbs at all. I think you will always find some good and some bad of every brand bulb.

thank you for saving me money........ or maybe i should just buy a second ballast and cheapo light to have in the room.

Heck yeah, I'm alway looking for and picking up cheap lighting from it seems everywhere. I have never brought a "grow light" but find good lights at good prices. Hey I'm a ebay fiend and a craigslist addict.

bluealein56 said:
i think im just bored of waiting for these things to flower so im just trying to find something to consider

I too had the same problem... So I started another grow area for mothers and clones :)

And from what I understand the cheap ones are about 10% less efficient (36,000 lumens instead of 40,000) 4,000 lumens aint worth it to me for twice the price but its up to you. I wouldn't really think of buying expensive bulbs until I hit the 600 or 1000 watt level though because thats when 10% becomes much larger a number to sacrafice and your going to be paying alot of money n e ways, so might as well spend the extra few bucks.

ok i guess im in the minority here but i like to buy top of the line quality gear (lumatek ballasts, eye hortilux super HPS, AC reflectors, etc)and get the whole setup so I know if theres anything wrong with my grow its bcus of me and not my equipment. that said i dont let myself get taken; i go hunting at various hydro stores to find a deal, or if im making a large order i drive a hard bargain and walk out the store with a hefty discount

i still use the "dinky" stuff i started growing with (custom built 400W hps and cfl's with 10" reflectors from the hardware store, DIY cloners) but the result of your grow is dependent on what you put into it

Latest posts

Back