Does hydro shorten grow time or not???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue

Reaction score
Ok, this question has been asked many times before, with people swearing they're right, on either side of the argument. So, has anyone here actually done a side by side hydro/soil grow??? The reason i'm asking is, i was on marijuana.nl's site, and for a few of their seed strains, they list different flower times for hydro and soil(ex. one was 50-62days hydro and 60-70 days soil). Also, a friend of mine has grown the exact same strain as me(we split the seeds), and his crop takes over 8wks in soil, while mine takes 7-7 1/2 in dwc, growing in the same conditions. So, is there any truth to this argument, or are some seedbanks putting that up for the hell of it? :confused:

TURKEYNECK said:
there is no doubt that it shortens the veg time, but there is no way to shorten the flowering cycle.. they mature when they're ready..

I wonder why that site would post different harvest times then. Their numbers have nothing to do with veg times. :confused:

You have to qualify your question...... are you saying it shortens your veg time from seed or a sexually mature clone???? too many different variables to factor into the question without clarification.......

I DO personally beleive that you can veg a mature clone MUCH faster with hydro than soil.... From seed however I think that that maturity is still up to the individual plant....

CasualGrower said:
You have to qualify your question...... are you saying it shortens your veg time from seed or a sexually mature clone???? too many different variables to factor into the question without clarification.......

I DO personally beleive that you can veg a mature clone MUCH faster with hydro than soil.... From seed however I think that that maturity is still up to the individual plant....

If ur asking me, i mean just flowering times, after being vegged from seed til sexually mature. I'm not talking bout clones at all. I'm just saying that my buddy and i grew from the same seed stock, the same veg time, and mine was done over a wk earlier than his. Thought it was just coincidence, but it happened with my last grow as well. And now seeing different hydro/soil harvest times on a seedbank's site, it got me wondering if there is something to it.

old blue said:
If ur asking me, i mean just flowering times, after being vegged from seed til sexually mature. I'm not talking bout clones at all. I'm just saying that my buddy and i grew from the same seed stock, the same veg time, and mine was done over a wk earlier than his. Thought it was just coincidence, but it happened with my last grow as well. And now seeing different hydro/soil harvest times on a seedbank's site, it got me wondering if there is something to it.
Yes but are you both using exactly the same lights? Same nutes? Same everything?

Sorry if someone else already stated this.

In a way yes you plants will tend to grow about 2 weeks faster than in soil.

The reason this is, is because the plant doenst have to spend as much energy growing roots in water/air as it would have to if i was pushing its roots through soil.

leafminer said:
Yes but are you both using exactly the same lights? Same nutes? Same everything?

Not using the same nutes. But pretty much everything else is the same. I could see that affecting a day or 2, but not a week or 2.

You do understand that even IBL's grown from seed will still always display variables and phenotypes, so now when we are talking about commerical strains which are basically always going to be hybrids, with a few exception, the phenos are going to be all over the place... I mean you wouldn't compair the way you have grown as opposed to your brother or sister.

Latest posts

Back