Drug testing for OTR truck drivers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newgrowth

Reaction score
I just found out that my current employer is switching to subcontactors to bust up our union, It's a cable tv company and they were going to start testing anyway, So I'm going to switch to truck driving, my question is when do they test for new truck drivers? Is it before or after finishing CDL school ? Or is it when I start with a company? What type of tests do they use? And how long do you need to be clean to pass? I should be well over 30 days clean by the time I start the school, After I start driving for a company what are the chances of getting retested? I would like to enjoy some bud on the weekends when i'm home which would be every 3 to 4 weeks, It makes me so mad that they can dictate and change my lifestyle with the threat of tests, I've never been stoned at work before but now they want to control the rest of my day/life, BTW allmost all the companies around here are doing testing regardless of the job, it sucks.

i don't think they drug test sub contractors man... but some companies might. I would ask..it's not against the law to ask about their policy.

Otherwise truckers are some of the biggest dope heads around but i do think they get tested regularly.

Heres what I have learned so far since posting, OTR Truck Drivers all go through a DOT 5 panel drug screen, all I need to worry about is 1, It's a piss test that happens somewhere between the first day of CDL School and the first day of the new hire,it doesnt really matter . The testing is straigtforward and unsupervised for the most part, however they do have the option to observe. Temp of the sample is checked immediately. 90 to 100 degrees is the window, Its then sealed into 2 samples A and B then sent to the lab. It sounds like a sample with a trace or more of the 5 panel tests would trigger the GC test . I'm not sure on that though or if all samples are tested using GC. I dont think I'm going to have a problem, I should be 60 to 90 days clean at that point because I delayed my start date to be safe. It's going to be hell though because I'm 3 weeks into flower on my first grow , but I cant take any chances I need to get this job. After the new hire all truckers are put into a pool for random tests, I have no idea if there is any notice or what, also mandatory test after any accidents. If anyone has experience with DOT testing please fill in the blanks for me, I'm also interested in getting some accurate DOT type home tests to I can determine later on what I can consume in a givin timeframe and still remain clean enough for a possible random test, Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back