Dry Ice and my plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clever_intuition

Reaction score
Alright every one I did something today and do not know if it will infact help my plant at all but I thought it was worth a shot.

I got some dry ice (frozen CO2) and placed it in to my water bucket I have and keep a 1 gallon jug of boiled water that I have around at all times.

I placed the dry Ice into it and put it in my grow room and the reaction of the water and frozen CO2 cause the gas to be emitted through the bubbles in the water.

I pointed my fan down on the plant and created an upflow that brought the CO2 all through my plant .

I am wondering if any one has heard of using dry ice to give their plant CO2?

And if so what the benifits of this way of doing it are?:cool:

I played with dry ice before, its fun..and dangerous if you hold it for too long,

This isnt really a helpful post, as i dont know what the effects would be, but i wish you the best with it, and hope it does infact have a positive effect.

JeSus said:
I played with dry ice before, its fun..and dangerous if you hold it for too long,

This isnt really a helpful post, as i dont know what the effects would be, but i wish you the best with it, and hope it does infact have a positive effect.

Thank you.....Yeah...do not handle it with bare hands!.....lol.

I am also wondering if any one knows the proper temp to keep CO2 frozen, as it does not in your average freezer?:cool:

I don't know what temperature to keep it frozen. But, I worked with it alot in my last job. And it will stay frozen for a LONG time just sitting out in a big tub, top off and everything. Of course it was pretty cool in there...But it takes a lot to melt it.

TheStickyIcky said:
I don't know what temperature to keep it frozen. But, I worked with it alot in my last job. And it will stay frozen for a LONG time just sitting out in a big tub, top off and everything. Of course it was pretty cool in there...But it takes a lot to melt it.

It took less than 5 hours to melt (about 1 pound) in my water from the time I brought it home to the time I got back from work?

i'd say u got urself a good way to induce CO2 into the air within ur grow room. the amount of dry ice u use is how u regulate the amount of CO2 output but check it with a meter. and good growing

Fire it up

KT

ktownlegend said:
i'd say u got urself a good way to induce CO2 into the air within ur grow room. the amount of dry ice u use is how u regulate the amount of CO2 output but check it with a meter. and good growing

Fire it up

KT

I have good vent right now, I have an exhaust fan that goes outside and comes inside when needed.

I am wondering about giving the plant pure CO2 though. When I did it I closed the vent and door and let it sit.

She looks fine. I will keep people updated on anything out of the norm.

I would still like opinions though. Thanks ahead of time:D

Good call on closing the vent. There are so called "closed rooms" where no air enters or leaves... for the most part. CO2 is injected into the room and is usually measured and monitored. Main reason for monitoring is not to be wasteful. If you have the loot to but dry ice on a continual basis, by all means do it because it is very beneficial.

Why??

why??

OK.. lets see.. Umm how much does dry ice cost?? now??
last I remember, from Hurricane Isabell. It was expensive.

So lets see.. regular strain of MJ start to finish takes about 90 days
or more. Now do the math. If you read research CO2 more.
not only its very hard/basically impossible to control without thousand dollar
equipments. worse of all, can be fatal in high doses to you and who ever
around. (not that you would have that much dry ice).

CO2 is plentiful in nature. Why not vent outside air into your room??

Most CO2 generators and enviornment controllers are used for giant
commercial growers, with thousands of plants. so for most homegrows
its not even worth or neccessary.. Unless you like flushing $$ away.

MrPuffAlot said:
Why??

why??

OK.. lets see.. Umm how much does dry ice cost?? now??
last I remember, from Hurricane Isabell. It was expensive.

So lets see.. regular strain of MJ start to finish takes about 90 days
or more. Now do the math. If you read research CO2 more.
not only its very hard/basically impossible to control without thousand dollar
equipments. worse of all, can be fatal in high doses to you and who ever
around. (not that you would have that much dry ice).

CO2 is plentiful in nature. Why not vent outside air into your room??

Most CO2 generators and enviornment controllers are used for giant
commercial growers, with thousands of plants. so for most homegrows
its not even worth or neccessary.. Unless you like flushing $$ away.

:yeahthat:

Dry ice is difficult and expensive compaired to using Co2 in 20 lbs tanks.
I used to use CO2 but found on my last grow that good fresh air grew my largest cola's yet.

Hey guys....My main point is not to be buying on a regular basis but. To give extreme doses every once in a while. Is this going to improve my plant? I don't know I was more or less posting this to get other peoples points of view on how dry ice can be positive to your plant becouse it gives off so much CO2 at one time.

This is the basis to this thread. Like I said I have not done any reading on this yet. It was a thought and I figured I would try it. You will not harm the plant by doing this and the amount I am using is not fatal to any one unless you are strictly sticking your face in to it and huffing it.

Thanks for all of your opinions though I appreciate them all:cool:

Dry ice is nothing but carbon dioxide in its solid form. Dry ice is commercially available nearly everywhere for industrial, medical, and theatrical (fog machine) applications. One pound of dry ice is equal to 8.5 cubic feet of gaseous CO2. Create a CO2 chamber by poking holes in the sides and top of an insulated box, foam cooler, or similar container that can insulate the material from human skin and plants. The box also helps insulate the solid ice so that it vaporizes more slowly. Ideally it should take an entire day for the chunk of ice to vaporize, although smaller chunks may need to be added at intervals through the day to maintain 1500 ppm.

Some growers place their containers of dry ice directly over grow lights. The falling CO2 bathes the plants beneath them and also helps control temperatures from hot lights.

For our 512 CF grow room, about 1 lb of dry ice per day would be needed to keep CO2 at 1500 ppm. At $.60/lb, dry ice would be a very cost effective solution. Storage of dry ice in a home freezer will slow it's vaporization, but dry ice is hard to store ahead because doesn't have a long shelf life. Not many homes have freezers capable of maintaining -109°F.

Advantages
-Inexpensive, widely available material
-Easy to construct and maintain
-No risk of catastrophic failure
-Dry ice has slight cooling effect

Disadvantages
-Impossible to regulate evaporation
-Must be used immediately - has no shelf life
-Can harm skin if handled without gloves

Latest posts

Back