EBBn FLOW question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papaya123

Reaction score
Is it really necessary to acutally buy the tray and res or can i just buy a laundry basket with a cover and a plastic tray to replace it? I really dont feel like buying a res for 60 - 80 or a tray for 150 when i can just buy something thats similar and at a much cheaper price from home depot or wal-mart. Suggestions?

The trays and resevoirs you get at the Hydro stores are nice indeed.. However IMO they are HIGHLY overpriced.... go to walmart or whatever superstore you prefer and look through their container section. Rubbermaid makes some good containers that can be used for a wide variety of Hydroponic uses..... BUT the sides on those rubbermaid containers do NOT have the strength that the hard plastics trays will, so just do not over load them.

Get ya some cheap containers.. a drill and/or sharp knife, some silicone adhesive and sealant and your connectors and GROW ON!!!!

overpriced indeed! you can also build a wood frame for the rubbermaid, drop container in frame, presto! no more bowin out on the top and you can fill it. put some casters on the bottom and now its mobile...even when full. plus, DIY gives you a much greater sense of accomplishment. oh, i dont know where your at but i get trays all day long on craigs list for 40-50 bucks...but thats still more than DIY...i hear.

Both posters have it right. If you can DIY it's cheaper, can be built to suit your needs, and does give you a sense of accomplishment....and they say us stoners are lazy. I have seen many interesting Ebb n Flow builds, my favorite has to be plywood and waterproof material that they use for outdoor fountians and ponds. Also walking around the store and just brainstorming was a great idea, I do this without thinking anymore LOL as I'm sure most of us DIYers do. How big an area and what kind of plans are you schemeing up there?

Thx guys for your feedback it came in very handy. I will jus end end up buying a rubbermaid container cuz im not paying that much for a res.The closet i was planning on biulding my self with some mylar wrap, cvc pipes, zip ties, and pipe connecters. I started to germ one of the seeds as im typing. I used the water and shot glass method which i started about a day ago and im seeing a lil baby worm coming out *cheer*. imma start germing the rest of the seeds 2morrow.

Good stuff, and good luck with the venture. Mylar is good but I would also recommend the Panda Plastic for the future, it's very durable and real easy to clean and comes in very handy IMO.

Latest posts

Back