Essay Question for Veteran Growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonwolf

Unrepentant Hippie
Reaction score
Imagine two completely identical, newly harvested buds. One of them gets quick dried in a microwave to test the crop. The other bud is dried and cured according to the best practices described in this forum. The question, then is this:

Compare and contrast the two buds. Consider potency, taste, etc. Express your answer in parsecs per kilogram. And be sure to show your work.

Sorry, but I wouldnt want to even begin to compare "microwaved" or flash dried bud to properly "cured" bud..well, that'd be like comparing frozen pizza a to New York Slice.. or even Papa Johns!:rofl: Just cure the weed mang..trust me.;) Im sure somebody can write that essay for ya though...

I'm not going to do any homework here; but I can give some insight.

Microwaving and quick drying in general gives the plant a different texture. If I had to describe the difference I'd say that microwaving either leaves a crunchy or damp crispy feel. Curing gives the overall bud a more velvity feeling all over, and it's more of a flaky, crumbly feeling when you break it up.

There's a definite "cooked" flavor to microwaved buds. It also retains alot of it's undried taste. It tends to leave all bud with that same undertone, despite the individual taste of the particular strain. It does the same with aroma. Curing takes the overpowering undertone away. It also takes away the fresh weed taste. The more you cure, the less "grassy" taste you get. It's completely subjective, but properly cured bud taste better. I say that because there's just more of a variety going on in you pallet. Cure in the microwave, you taste nuke; cure in a tupperware container, you taste plastic; cure with an orange rind, you taste a little hint of orange... etc. I won't comment on smell too much; it's the major contributor to taste. So, it's redundant.

As for potency, I honestly don't think it becomes any more or less potent. I think the hight changes, because the cannabinoids convert over time. There's no doubt that the psychoactive substances are in higher concentrations at different times in a plants life cycle. However, once you harvest, you basically have what you have. There are a certain number of trichomes that contain a certain amount of psychoactive chemicals. The rest is resin, terpinoids, etc. The effects of these other thing on the high is still up in the air. If properly nuked, the contents of the trichomes should be relatively the same as when it was chopped. However, there probably won't be as much of a trippy, narcotic effect. You get more of that, when you cure. The plant has time to convert the THC and produce a greater range of cannabinoids as it basically dies off in your curing jar. It doesn't have the means to really produce more cannabinoids... at least not in any appreciable amount. It also shouldn't have have much degradation; assuming you didn't harvest way too late. It just says, "I'm dying, and I need to try to do what I'd normally do under these circumstances." To make it clear, the plant isn't neccessarily converting anything. The chemicals break down naturally. The plant just produces. In any case, the longer you cure your buds, the more likely you are to be "ginked up" after consuming them. The longer you wait, the more likely you are to be stoned, as opposed to high. Eventually, your cured buds will reach an equilibrium and not change much in cannabinoid content. That's if you can wait that long befor smoking it all. Wait too long without storing properly, and everything will start to degrade. Then you will have less potent bud. Those are my thoughts on the matter, based on much experimentation. As far as I know, no one has actually measured the change in cannabinoid (<-- I should check the spelling on the, but don't feel like it right now) content over time, during a cure process. They just smoke and say, "Yeah, this is tastier and/or more potent."... basically, just a subjective and somewhat biased opinion, based on what they're feeling at the time. Since it all comes down to how it makes you feel, that's really what's important. However, to make real advances and better products, real, scientific, unbiased and unemotional research is needed. So, I'd really like to see what what goes on in the trichomes as this process is carried out.

As far as the way the bud burns and smokes. I've noticed that a nicely cured bud, with a little moisture content to it will tend to stay cherry and burn slower. If you can quick dry it to the proper moisture content, you can get the same effect; but with much deminished flavor.

I like a little of the natural fresh taste. So, personally I'll just dry to a good moisture content, and set a little aside to cure, for a little variety. It's works out well that way.

****, that was an essay!

That was an awesome response, just what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

Heat and light are enemies of THC, AND the frequency used by microwaves (0.3GHz-300GHz) are radioactive and bad for you... Yes, using the microwave is bad for you, no matter what you put in it!

Latest posts

Back