Fan Leaf Removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kum bah yah my leaves... kum bah yah....
Oh leaves... Kum bah yah...

:rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO...I had told myself I was not going to respond to any more of these mutilation threads...but Damn it DOS!!!! thats some funny stuff!

Haha, no I will not hold your hand either so get it off my butt.

Source: Alot of posts from people on the internet, originally written and compiled by Nietzsche
- I thought he was a German philosopher or somesuch? Oh you mean Nietzsche the MJ grower?! Of COURSE! (This reminds me of a Monty Python sketch)

A summary of each theory is presented, followed by a review of fan leaf function. The different theories advocating for and against the removal of fan leaves are then discussed in the context of fan leaf function and cultivation techniques.

- Unfortunately this is not scientific method. If you don't follow scientific method then any conclusion is valueless. You need to demonstrate cause and effect. Opinion is of no value.

THEORIES WHY TO TRIM FAN LEAVES
Increase Lower Bud Development
The fan leaves shade lower buds and that these buds do not develop to there full potential because of a reduction in lighting intensity due to shading from upper fan leaves.

- Later on the same piece tells us that 85% of the light "passes through the leaf" - there is no mention made as to how this was supposed to be actually measured. Does this sound likely? And if so, doesn't it directly contradict the "reason" given above? The transmittivity of window glass is about 95%, seems that you could almost see through an average leaf . . .

Trimming fan leaves and lower, shaded branches focuses the plant’s development on main top buds.

Well I guess if we trimmed your legs and dangly body parts that would probably focus your attention on the remaining bits, once you had recovered from the shock, gone through convalescence, and so forth.

A plant wastes precious energy several ways.
How can a plant 'waste' energy? From where does this idea come?

A tall plant needs to use energy to build extra stem, and then use extra energy to move water up higher, this is why I believe "scrog" methods are productive.

The plant invests energy in building its stem just as you invested energy in building your skeleton. And your second 'fact' is factually incorrect; capillary action can lift water over 10m without any requirement for "energy".

another: our eyes are most sensitive to the green spectrum.
-Not so. Our eyes are most sensitive to the yellow part of the spectrum.

Honestly, I can't be bothered going any further.
:ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore:

thanx OZZY, but i'm couchlocked from the fan leaves i just smoked.
probly need another trim tomorrow, $$

"tomatoes may not get you high..."

What a great line...

right on Tater

the problem is not with this article i think this article is trying to get to the fact, it does say that fan leaves are the place where most photosynthesis occurs, it also says that when you cut the leaf the bud will stop growing cuz it loses its food source. trimming lower fan leaves many SOG growers do it just before they start flowering so to have just a top cola. the probem is with newbies who dont get it, it's become harmful for these forums and the newbs who come here to get such info making trimming of fan leaves a subject of debate! it has become like the flushing debate which is a much less dangerous thing and can be debated upon but fanleaf trimming should not be a subject of debate cuz this is not a place where we take stands with different political opinions it's a place where we share experiences and facts, if that newb grew for only 2 times so far it would be so clear to him how important fan leaves are for production of buds so he's a complete newbie to this going around threads giving this bad actually lethal info! we do not need a thread to further make this a subject of debate

Yo Ho Guys & Gals,

I rather think that this is a great opportunity for all of us to explore the concept. Since I can offer nothing, but my opinions and thoughts, I believe that we really do have an advantage here with so many of us.

I have always believed that when the plant was absolutely through with the leaf and it's job, and even absorbing all the immediate nutrients from it, then yeah, it will just drop away, or fall from the slightest touch, but at this point why don't you maybe try a controlled test.

This would enlighten many I'm thinking...

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

Strawberry Cough said:
RE: stretch - since I use side-lighting, I have observed ZERO stretch for this grow. I think maybe the top of one plant might have stretched (i.e. continued to grow) about 6 inches after 12 / 12 initiation.

If anything, the lower branches grow more horizontally towards the light, and the whole plant will "spread" as it "stretches" itself (?) towards the horizontal light.

This is why I would like to try my U-L-T-I-M-A-T-E lighting set up to make the light pervade everywhere like the sun.

The Sun's Light pervades everywhere. It is not from one direction only as people have wrongly posted here. The sunlights light is refracted through our atmosphere and is reflected from everywhere in all directions. Plants get sunlight from all directions: direct light, refracted light, reflected light...

Stretch proves nothing about fan leaves / SLASH / trimming.

Though I think there is something about the statement that cutting the adjacent leaves stop feeding the bud. Yes, I agree these leaves HELP to feed the bud, but I think the whole plant is attached, so it compensates by drawing resources from elsewhere.

If you must insist on posting this "mis"-information, please present some form of evidence, proof. Something other than "your" inexperienced and incorrect opinion. You've not even tried it yet, and certainly not in any environment that could possibly reach any conclusion. Yet you continue to argue that "you" are right, and the entire botanical world is wrong.. that proper and 'optimal' photosynthesis is not necessary for optimal growth.
Your arguement is beginng to border on ignorance ..
Strawberry Cough said:
Yes, please someone provide definitive evidence (not just dogmatic statements) that to remove fan leaves is harmful, and I will yield to the evidence.

Until then, I will experiment WITH NO BIAS, and try to prove to myself which is better. If keeping all fan leaves is observed as better, I will do this.
I would ask "you" to do the same. "PRESENT" something with some semblance of proof. AND something performed with some semblance of control. Observing and reporting on plants grown under drastically different conditions will NOT reflect any even remotely conclusive evidence.
If you would simply READ the posts, the links to photosynthesis, ect. you would see the evidence presented by decades/centuries of study.(not to mention the senior members personal accounts) But you would rather argue without a single shred of evidence to support your theory.
You go right ahead and experiment, but DO NOT cite your findings as "evidence" or proof, without "fully" revealing your differnt conditions for the plants you observe.. Your observations are not legitimate in an environment where you are not attempting to keep all variables the same.

Why waste time reading posts and books when you can just make stuff up.
:D

Tater said:
Why waste time reading posts and books when you can just make stuff up.
:D

Yeah, like getting high off tomatoes, huh Tater?

ozzydiodude said:
Hear is a good thread with pictures of a plant the the grower raped leaves by a truely lovered member mfgcom http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38984

:rofl::rofl::cry::laugh:

...but that person was banned, and I don't see results of the harvest.

And I would hardly say that cutting nearly all GREEN off the plant is the same as removing all the large fan leaves leaving all of the smaller leaves on.

Not the same.

Hick said:
Yet you continue to argue that "you" are right, and the entire botanical world is wrong.. that proper and 'optimal' photosynthesis is not necessary for optimal growth.
Your arguement is beginng to border on ignorance ..

This is exactly where you are mistaken:

I am not arguing that I right.

It is several here, including you, that are projecting words on to me that I have not said. You say that I say I am right. I have not said this.

Again: I have simply shared that I am experimenting on 1 girl in 4 to compare results, and whatever the results are, so be it. If trimming is harmful, I will report it here from my personal observations.

...but if I report it is indeed harmful from my personal observations, is this not valid because no scientific controls?

legalize_freedom said:
All that this article is, is another persons contradictory oppinion on the subject that 99.9% of this forum is in agreament about, and 1% who doesn't know squat about growing, wants to argue about....why keep feeding into it? maybe it will go away, let the kid mutilate his/hers plants, and if he/she wants to come back in a month or 2 and tell us that we are all wrong and he/she has single handedly altered the course of indoor growing as we know it, well we can all sit back and laugh at the arogance of him/her to think us that gullable. I honestly can't believe that this newbie has rented enough space in the collective heads of experienced growers to merit 3 or 4 different threads on such a useless subject. Can't we please just let the subject die as easily as his plants will? At least until the next revolutionary young rookie comes along with this same idea, next week.

since SC keeps feeling the need to repeat his drivel, I figured I may as well also.:ignore:

legalize_freedom said:
since SC keeps feeling the need to repeat his drivel, I figured I may as well also.:ignore:

I repeat myself to correct those who mistakenly (and perhaps intentionally) attribute statements, opinions, and advice to me that I have not stated, opined, or advised.

But you keep repeating drivel. Those statements that I responded to are all yours and they are all wrong.

Latest posts

Back