Fan question for cool tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old blue

Reaction score
In my homemade closet growtent, i have a passive intake, and am pulling air thru my 400w cool tube, and pushing it out of a scrubber. The temps in there stay around 85-88* unfortunately. So, i just order a 250cfm 6" duct fan that i'm going to use as a dedicated exhaust for my cool tube. I'm going to have it suck air in from outside of the tent, and vent into the a/c duct, at the top of my closet, since its winter and no ac or heat is being used (i live AZ. ;)) So my question is, where is the best place to install a dedicated reflector fan? The options are:

1. outside the tent, pushing air thru the light? (inlet side)
2. inside the tent, hooked directly before the light, pushing air thru?
3. inside the tent, hooked after the light, pulling air thru, and pushing out the tent?
4. outside the tent, pulling air thru? (outlet side)

i think you should only get air from the outside of the grow area if it is cooler than the inside of the area. if the air outside is cooler than inside then i think you should place the fan outside the tent pushing air thru the light (so the air being pushed is cooler) and if its the same temp inside the tent and outside then you should put the fan inside the tent after the light and exhaust it to the ac duct. hope this helps

The entire point is to do two things.

1. Lower the temperature of your grow area.

2. Refresh the natural CO2 in your grow area.

The highest amount of CO2 is the outdoor air.

The highest temperature is inside your grow.

You need to exchange the two areas.

Pull from outside, through your light, into the room, then into the scrubber, then outside the building again.

The air coming in will be whatever temperature it is outside, the air pushing back outside will have been cleaned via the scrubber and be warmer.

If it's too cold outside, then figure out a way to vent it so that your grow room temperature stays between 75 and 85.

Your plants need some refreshed CO2 as well. OR, you could suppliment the CO2 and use inside air from outside your tent.

POTUS said:
The entire point is to do two things.

1. Lower the temperature of your grow area.

2. Refresh the natural CO2 in your grow area.

The highest amount of CO2 is the outdoor air.

The highest temperature is inside your grow.

You need to exchange the two areas.

Pull from outside, through your light, into the room, then into the scrubber, then outside the building again.

The air coming in will be whatever temperature it is outside, the air pushing back outside will have been cleaned via the scrubber and be warmer.

If it's too cold outside, then figure out a way to vent it so that your grow room temperature stays between 75 and 85.

Your plants need some refreshed CO2 as well. OR, you could suppliment the CO2 and use inside air from outside your tent.

I shoulda been more clear. What i meant is, i'm going to have a dedicated seperate duct fan strictly for the light. The air going thru it will not touch the air inside the tent at all. I will ALSO have my current passive inlet and exhaust fan w/carbon scrubber going, that will constantly exchange co2 in the tent.

And to answer the temp question, the air directly outside the tent in the closet is at least 10* cooler than in the tent.

that should be kind of expected really... i mean, you have a separate light source directly above it, that is why air circ is so important... sounds to me like your not going to have much of a problem...

I just use the exhaust from my cabinet to go through my cool tube, then i kill two birds with one stone... make sure there is a clean intake behind any blowing fans and your set... is that what your asking...

old blue said:
I shoulda been more clear. What i meant is, i'm going to have a dedicated separate duct fan strictly for the light. The air going thru it will not touch the air inside the tent at all. I will ALSO have my current passive inlet and exhaust fan w/carbon scrubber going, that will constantly exchange co2 in the tent.

And to answer the temp question, the air directly outside the tent in the closet is at least 10* cooler than in the tent.
I don't think I understand what it is you're asking then. Please explain what you want to do and what you are asking the group to advise you on.

You asked: "So my question is, where is the best place to install a dedicated reflector fan?"

To that question, I've explained that pulling air from outside is your best option for replacing the CO2. The CO2 in your house isn't near the content of that outside. The outside air would also provide you with cooler air than that inside. It could be routed through the tent, to the light then the scrubber. That gives you fresh air, cooler air, a cool light and cleaned air in one process. The passive intake could have an adjustable vent to provide *some* inside air to adjust the temp better.

POTUS said:
I don't think I understand what it is you're asking then. Please explain what you want to do and what you are asking the group to advise you on.

You asked: "So my question is, where is the best place to install a dedicated reflector fan?"

To that question, I've explained that pulling air from outside is your best option for replacing the CO2. The CO2 in your house isn't near the content of that outside. The outside air would also provide you with cooler air than that inside. It could be routed through the tent, to the light then the scrubber. That gives you fresh air, cooler air, a cool light and cleaned air in one process. The passive intake could have an adjustable vent to provide *some* inside air to adjust the temp better.

OHHH, i missunderstood when u said "outside" air. I was thinking u just meant outside of the tent. Unfortunately i cant access any outside air, due to the location of the closet.

I was asking the group, where is the best place to install the fan for a dedicated light exhaust, one where its air wont be touching the air inside the tent at all? Meaning, do u get better heat removal putting a fan before(pushing) or after(pulling thru) the light? ;)

probably BEFORE the light imo as it will cool the lights by blowing air. its kinda like would you have an airconditioner facing in the house to cool it better or out bcuz it could suck the hot air out of the house.

Latest posts

Back