female with pollen sacs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
I allways thought that hermies produced seeds and not pollen sacs. Am I wrong? I have a female Shnazzleberry that is about three weeks into flower and I noticed yesterday that there was four pollen sacs on her. One of them opened up and released the pollen in my closet. I didnt know what it was at first and when I touched it a little cloud of yellow pollen went right into the middle of my closet. I pulled three other sacs off different branches but they were still closed.

Are these pollen sacs or am I crazy? I threw the pollen sacs in the trash so I dont have any pics but these two pics are the plant.

002-1.JPG

001-1.JPG

a hemi is a male and female so yes if there are sacs then its a hemi,,,, if you could get a close pic then we all could tell you more

I ripped them completly off so you cant even tell that they were there. It looks like a normal female plant now. Im praying this doesnt ruin my whole grow.

You ripped them off for now but they will be back in greater numbers. In my opinion you grow is pretty much ruined. Even if you get some weed it will be seedy as hell.

Did you do the sac ripping with other plants in the room? You might be in a bit of trouble. Pollen is potent and it doesn't take much. If this ever happens again and you suspect a sac get a mister bottle fill with water and spray the plant down then move to a seperate area and take care of it. Water keeps the pollen from spreading. Also change your clothes before going back in the "safe" room. I'm not kidding either pollen gets around.

Edit:
Also IMO and many will disagree with me but the seeds are no good. If it's an actual genetic hermie, not a stress related hermie, the hermie gene is in the seeds.

Yep. That's a hermie you have there. That's too bad to hear. I would say just finish it out and try again. I wouldn't trash it if it was your only plant or plants. Do you have any light leaks or anything like that? That will cause hermies. Just my thoughts. I wish you the best of luck. Take care and be safe.

it hermied from the light schedule getting messed up a few times. Thats what happens every time I ask someone to help me with my lights when Im not home. I spayed my whole closet down with water and did the sac removal in a seperate room. I think Im screwed though.

Gotta be careful with the lights during flowering. Don't trust people to mess with them. Do it yourself. I would just finish them out and start again. You will have some product but it will have some seeds. Better luck next time my friend. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

To bad but don't get too upset about it, how far along were the plants?

maineharvest said:
it hermied from the light schedule getting messed up a few times. Thats what happens every time I ask someone to help me with my lights when Im not home. I spayed my whole closet down with water and did the sac removal in a seperate room. I think Im screwed though.
Sorry to hear :(. Watch it "close", check IT daily for more staminate flowers. Or remove it from your other ladies completly if you can. Another 5-6 weeks is a looong time.
There are different 'degrees' of hermaphradism. If your lucky, you may have one that only produced those few stamin.
You did right misting with water, though it may well have been to little, too late. Water will neutralize pollen if administered soon enough.
"A stitch in time..." comes to mind. Timers are "cheap". ;)

as you said when you touched it yellow pollen flew into your room every little spec of pollen is a possible seed so the chance you let the pollen hit the other plants is very high it takes about 4-4-1/2 weeks for most seeds to develop so depening on how far u are threw flower if you only have say 2 weeks left keep an eye on them for more sacks pullem away from other plants and with luck you might only have a few small white seed sometimes to tiny to notice

Hey it happens, it's happened to me more than once and what can you do? Like Hick said a timer helps tons so does someone that can stare at their plants all day looking for hermies...most of us have real lives so it's gonna happen.

Dont start over. When I got confirmed that my little girl was hermie I put her outside...every week I come back and she's grown 3-4 inches.

maineharvest said:
I allways thought that hermies produced seeds and not pollen sacs. Am I wrong? I have a female Shnazzleberry that is about three weeks into flower and I noticed yesterday that there was four pollen sacs on her. One of them opened up and released the pollen in my closet. I didnt know what it was at first and when I touched it a little cloud of yellow pollen went right into the middle of my closet. I pulled three other sacs off different branches but they were still closed.

Are these pollen sacs or am I crazy? I threw the pollen sacs in the trash so I dont have any pics but these two pics are the plant.

Hermies are, by definition, female plants with male flowers. Although most of the time this produces seeds, it doesn't 100% of the time. Sometimes the pollen is "sterile". Sometimes the female flowers are too far developed to produce seeds.

The only time I have ever had a hermie is when I was fairly new to growing. I grew some bagseeds that someone gave me from some killer stuff. I have since come to realize that there is a distinct likelyhood that bagseed from killer bud can be the product of a hermie plant and consequently, the offspring can and often is hermie.

ahh thats unlucky man, but yea keep an eye on it and if you see any new sacks try and get some pics to confirm. This thread was an interesting read :)

I dont need confirmation that they are pollen sacs. It cant get any more obvious. She is around three weeks flower right now so I still have a long ways to go. I would put her outside but she would go back into veg and Im sure that would really piss her off even more. Im just going to try picking at her a few times a week and if it gets to be too much than I will have to kill her. Does anyone know how long it takes a pollen sac to form and mature?

The bad thing about that, is as time progresses, they staminate will be harder and harder to spot. As the calyx'a develop and swell, the staminate flowers appear more like a tiny 'banana' inset in the calyx's.:ignore:

maineharvest said:
I dont need confirmation that they are pollen sacs. It cant get any more obvious.

Ok sorry was only trying to help. I also thought that pictures may help others in the same situation. And I do believe you were asking the question.

Latest posts

Back