Few lighting questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewayne

IS BAKED
Reaction score
Okay, i finally relocated and settled in another area and i'm ready to start a grow. usually, in my previous location i always grew outdoors...but in my new location i do not feel safe to grow outdoors. So, that leaves me with indoors. i was wondering do i need a ballast for an hps light or can i just get a hood reflector and the bulb?

actually, what is the sole purpose for the ballast? thanks i appreciate your time! :)

well a hood reflector and a high powered bulb is what i was leaning twards too

Dewayne said:
Okay, i finally relocated and settled in another area and i'm ready to start a grow. usually, in my previous location i always grew outdoors...but in my new location i do not feel safe to grow outdoors. So, that leaves me with indoors. i was wondering do i need a ballast for an hps light or can i just get a hood reflector and the bulb?

actually, what is the sole purpose for the ballast? thanks i appreciate your time! :)

Yes you will need a ballast.

The ballast takes the voltage from the wall and increases it. HID bulbs run at a much higher voltage than an incandescent bulb. Even CFLs use a ballast but it is inside the base of the bulb. HIDs due to the heat created by the bulb and the ballast usually are kept separate in order to increase the life span of both. more info

and if there were no ballast being used, what would the difference in voltage put out in a 400 watt hps light be if a ballast were used, and if a ballast were not used?

Without the ballast an HPS will not light.

okay that pretty well answers that question. okay well thanks for your time i guess i have to buy a ballast hehe.

your best bet is to buy it all as one.the ballast,reflector,cord set and bulb.its cheaper that way.go with lumatek if possible.

Every single HID light, without exception, every fluoro light, without exception, every CFL, without exception requires a ballast to operate. Some ballasts are "built in, some ballasts are an integral part of the bulb, but the ALL require ballasts.

I've never seen this question asked before about needing a ballast and its popped up a couple times this week. Interesting. Hopefully we helped this person figure it out.

Latest posts

Back