First grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypcodiihop

Reaction score
Figured I would share. First grow. theres 2 pictures 3 days after germination, and the rest are from today, 8 days in. :holysheep:

Growing wayyy faster than I had expected.

Indoor grow, Using one 13w tube style CFL, and 2 spiral shaped CFLs that are rated at 1700 lumens each. I have a setup where the back, top, and 2 sides are generally surrounded and covered with aluminum foil. Its slightly ghetto rigged, but it seems to be working.

I'll get some pics of the setup later.

5_10_2009 1_27 AM_0001.jpg

5_10_2009 1_27 AM_0002.jpg

12_16_2008 6_01 PM_0001.jpg

uno.jpg

dos!.jpg

Thanks for shareing with us..i think you need a few things..but start by getting the lights as close to the sprouts as you can..you will hear a lot of foil..but this is first Im here 4U..take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

thats what I was thinking. See for the first 5 days of growth they only had the one tube CFL, it was like 2 inches away, but I dont think enough light.

Now the lights are much closer, and I multiplied output massively. Hopefully they start to be a little stronger and less lanky.

3000 lumes per sq ft minumum..and get a fan blowing on them to help strengthen the stem..

Don't sweat it man, they look good so far. My first grow I had no idea what I was doing (internet was just starting up) and I grew a little bag seed plant in my closet with two little flourescent lights. I ended up with one little half-foot long tootsie roll sized bud that didn't have a single crytal on it....but I enjoyed every toke of it becasue it was MINE.

I have a small fan that I let oscillate a few hours a day. But thanks for the tip on the light output. I guess I'll add 2 or 3 more of the same bulbs to be safe. :cool:

no zirrr'. Been looking and shopping around a little as I've read its highly recommended. But I've seen some nice results with just CFL too. I'd prefer to do it as "right" as I can though.

Do a search on Ebay for "HPS lights", you will get dozens of results. Price shopping at its best and you will see literally dozens of different types of lights. No one has the selection like a site that sells everything in the world :) At the very least you will see lots of options and get some good ideas.

Benefits to flowering with HPS are huge. You get more lumens per watt, meaning you spend less on light, the plants prefer it in flowering to CFL light, and HPS lights actually produce LESS heat per watt then CFL's or tubes. The reason for this is becasue HPS lights use power more efficiently when it comes to producing light. A 400 watt HPS light will produce more lumens (light), than 400 watts of CFL's. Since 400 watts of CFL's use the same amount of power but produce less light, that power must be given off in the form of heat.

true. I'm an ebay fiend already because of cheap car parts, so naturally I've already done hours of searchin around. haha.

thanks for the info man. ;)

Hello Hypcodiihop :)

1 plant per pot, if you leave them as they are the roots are going to get tangled ;)

When you re pot them you need to plant the plant deep, all the way up to its first set of leaves.

The stretch is caused by lack of light, but you already know that.

So plant in single pots, plant deep, move the light closer and your set to start growing :)

:peace:

hypcodiihop said:
I have a small fan that I let oscillate a few hours a day. But thanks for the tip on the light output. I guess I'll add 2 or 3 more of the same bulbs to be safe. :cool:

If there isn't a temperature problem, leave the fan run 24/0. Fresh air moving across the plants is beneficial 100% of the time.

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Hypcodiihop :)

1 plant per pot, if you leave them as they are the roots are going to get tangled ;)

When you re pot them you need to plant the plant deep, all the way up to its first set of leaves.

The stretch is caused by lack of light, but you already know that.

So plant in single pots, plant deep, move the light closer and your set to start growing :)

thats actually a question I've been lookin up on. I know they have to have there own pots, I have some set up already. Just wasn't sure if I should let them get a little more established before transferring.

I'm preparing to make my setup so they all have lights because of it. Gotta buy a few more things first.

But if you think they're ready?

the reason for the fan only being on a few hours is because its wayyy loud, gotta be slightly discreet. Not entirely like a closet project, but I have a few restrictions.

Hick said:
If there isn't a temperature problem, leave the fan run 24/0. Fresh air moving across the plants is beneficial 100% of the time.

hick said it. a small fan shouldnt be a problem to run 24/7. everyone
does it. just make it so their gently swaying in the wind, itll give them something to resist against. And yeah as everyone said if your using cfls, they dont have much penetration so get as many as you can, as close as you can. If your seriously considering upgrading definitly consider HPS. you wont be unsatisfied. But other things that are a necessity for growing
that youll need are a pH tester, good nutrients made for the cannabis plant specifically, etc. Also aluminum foil does something like absorb heat or something bad like that, im not sure. go to google seach 'hydroponics ____ (your city) then give them a call and ask for reflective mylar. its great. also they will carry the different ranges of hps and mh etc, plus im sure they have great nutrients but ask first and research about all of it.
hope this helps later bro good luck
im ripped,
thedonofchronic

I would go ahead and transplant them to their own individual pots ASAP, if you let them get any bigger the roots will all tangle together in the dirt and seperating them will prove difficult. The one plant per pot rule should be followed unless you are going hydro. In soil it should definitely be followed. If you don't have individual pots for them they could go in something small until you get them. I have used those 16 oz. red plasstic cups in the past, a sleeeve at the grocery is like $2. You just have to punch a hole in the bottom for water to drain.

hypcodiihop said:
thats actually a question I've been lookin up on. I know they have to have there own pots, I have some set up already. Just wasn't sure if I should let them get a little more established before transferring.

I'm preparing to make my setup so they all have lights because of it. Gotta buy a few more things first.

But if you think they're ready?

the reason for the fan only being on a few hours is because its wayyy loud, gotta be slightly discreet. Not entirely like a closet project, but I have a few restrictions.

Set up a comp fan or 2, totally silent with air movement :)

Your plants are ready to be planted onto the next home.

Next time put them alone in a pot and grow from single pots, it saves plant stress.

Welcome to a terrifying place.

Not the forum.

The terror of learning love so strong you will want to gaze at it for hours, every day you will feel an uncontrollable urge so great that your soul will wither and die if you dont succum to it.

A place where you secretly hide, a place you lose the world, a place where you and nature become one.

Trust me.

You are about to start an addictive journey, a journey that will take you and worry you, a journey that is going to make you wake in the morning and the first thing you think about is 'gotta check the babies'.

A journey that will consume you

Are you ready to take that step into obsession?

HippyInEngland said:
Welcome to a terrifying place.

Not the forum.

A journey that will consume you

Are you ready to take that step into obsession?

:yeahthat: :lama:

I'm gonna say that just means I'm doing something right. haha. I'm already getting there, I'm in there with them once an hour if I'm home. It is kind of stressful, the time and effort I have in already is enough to make me wanna do anything to make it work out, just so its not in vain.

thanks for the info again though, I transplanted 4 of the bigger guys into there own holders. I have one that was a late bloomer and just broke dirt, so I kept him in the same larger setup with 2 other small guys. Its like a 2 or 3 gallon container, so I think I'll just use that as an experiment kind of thing to see if they grow good together still.

little update. I moved one outside, no pics of it. Just gonna let her grow or die, just to see how it goes.

I now have 5 plants in my grow room. 3 seem very healthy and are growing and going great. :D

one is a late bloomer that I moved to this setup just recently, seems to be catching up nicely.

and an unfortunate rubber band accident cause a small issue with what WAS my healthiest plant. It got literally ripped up from its home by a snapped rogue rubber band, but I didnt give up on her.

She was drooped completely over, and browned all out. Now she's coming back vertically, and there's green showing again. Maybe she'll pull through.

pics are attached of some of the healthy, you can see the late bloomer in one of these pics in the background, and then one of the girl that may recover.

5_10_2009 1_28 AM_0001.jpg

5_16_2009 5_47 PM_0001.jpg

5_16_2009 5_48 PM_0001.jpg

5_16_2009 5_49 PM_000122.jpg

Latest posts

Back