fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)

Rainbow trout are also known mistakenly as redband trout (which are in fact a subspecies intermediary of rainbow and cutthroat trout).
Rainbow trout are native to the tributaries of the Pacific Ocean in Asia and North America as well as many of the American States especially the Northern United States. The ocean going form of rainbow trout are known as steelhead trout in the U.S.A. or ocean trout in Australia. Rainbow trout are excellent game fish that are noted for their leaps and are hard fighting when hooked especially in their native countries. Rainbow trout are a brightly colored fish that inhabit lakes and swift flowing streams and rivers. Rainbow trout are covered with small black dots and have a reddish band on either side.The fish has been introduced to over 45 countries including the United Kingdom (introduced to the UK from North America) and every continent except Antarctica. DNA studies have shown that rainbow trout are closer genetically to Pacific salmon than they are to brown trout.

Source :- hXXp://www.trout-net.co.uk/html/trout_species.html

What you call a steelhead is a rainbow trout in other parts of the world, and they inhabit the sea and freshwater.

In my understanding, steelhead and rainbow trout are the same fish. what differentiates a rainbow from a steelhead is the migration to the ocean and return to fresh water to spawn. Around here we have rainbow trout and steelhead in the same rivers sometimes--we use both names.

"Steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) belong to the family Salmonidae which includes all salmon, trout, and chars. Steelhead are the anadromous form of rainbow trout, a salmonid species native to western North America and the Pacific Coast of Asia. The term anadromous refers to fish species born in the stream that migrate to the ocean for their adult phase. Steelhead are similar to some Pacific salmon in their life cycle and ecological requirements. They are born in fresh water streams, where they spend their first 1-3 years of life. They then emigrate to the ocean where most of their growth occurs. After spending between one to four growing seasons in the ocean, steelhead return to their native fresh water stream to spawn. Unlike Pacific salmon, steelhead do not necessarily die after spawning and are able to spawn more than once."

Nice catch city! Man that brinsgs me back, spent all of my youth on Lake Michigan goin after those puppies. Now I'm over around Lake Erie and have taken up goin after the Walleye. You go after them any? Anyways, hard to imagine a better place to fish than the great lakes area and its tributaries...

another great place around here is the rogue river, right below the childress dam, in rockford, michigan. for steelies, and rainbow.
i was arrested there once upon a time for, (get this), fish grabbing. do what? i grabbed a steelhead with my hands' right off the dam as it jumped on the dam wall. i wrestled it onto the shore, this being quite a trick to do, and was met by a dnr officer. when he said ' sir, can i see your fishing license'?, i put 'my fish' in the bushes, and showed him my license. now, get this, i was 13 years old, and he arrested me for 'illegally taking a fish from a waterway'. dooo whaattt??? i got an $83 fine. (no pics, sry.)...bb...

hahaha thats a hoot. We had a kid fish and game officer stop us while we loaded the boat in pitch black to see our licences. we gave him a hard time telling him we went boating and found the rods on the shore. he just looked confused.
Thanks for the lesson on Steely's and Rainbow. now explain an A run and a B run lol

who me?:D . A Run is when steel head first enter the rivers and streams in the 3-6 lb range. different places, different times. normally july- september. we try to stay clear of 'em in the warmer season.
B Run is when the slabbers enter in september, in the colder waterways. these are your typical 10-20 lb'ers. this is the fight of your life to land that monster. an average steelhead round here in the late season is 8-12 lbs., and a good fight can last 1-2 hours. i always wonder, who is supposed to be getting tired out here, me , or the fish.
ever hears of skamainie steelhead? when these steelies come out of the water bro, they will tail whip down the stream 50-60 feet in some of the sweetest tail walk'in form you ever seen.:D ...bb...

no i havent. i would love to do that run. where? average weight is what? i have 2 full trays of steel head in the smoker right now. yay for me. man i love smoked fish. i guess the Clear water has a major small mouth fishery that no one really fishes. average of 4 lbs.

Who cares about the fish, What happened to your face? Did it hurt?

Lol, jk. Nice steely. Got to love the chromies!

Remember, The Best Head Is A Steehead!

Steelhead are rainbow trout that are anadromous, meaning they return from the sea to spawn. Some of my fav memories are being young (yeah, that's one of 'em) and steelhead fishing along 299 in Trinity Co. Nice pics, but as memory serves, the trinity steelhead were in no way that BIG.

My 43 pound Blue Cat :hubba:

my fish.jpg

the skamainies are hard to tell from the steelies on sight (i believe the dorsal fin is the differentiating mark, i may be wrong.) don't remember.
they are usually the first to arrive in late spring. we have a stream here that flows into a fish hatchery stocked , public lake. only accesible by canoe, or small skiff. (great gorilla spot). the action is unbelievable. never seen nothing like 'em in my life. they'll get to walk'in on water, and walk right up in the bushes, on dry land.:D . thier like torpedoes being fired out of water. they launch 6 feet high, and land 20-30 feet away. mind blowing, especially when your stoned.:D ...bb...

That is one thing I have always wanted to fish for. Stripers.. largest Catfish I ever caught was 15 lbs. So congrats on the big blue. I like fishing for Cutthroat (catch and release) up on the south fork. Those guys will walk on water and grind there face into the ground trying to get the hook out. Largest was 28 inches. Half hour to get it in. And chased it an 8th of a mile ddown river before landing it. Man that was tiring.
Thanks for all the compliments guys and gals. I had a ton of fun on that trip...

I used to catch alot of steelhead on the clearwater right outside of Orefino,ID. I grew up logging in them parts. Alot of big Whitetail up there to. I love it up there, beautiful country.
Now I'm in Hawaii doing alot of Kayak fishing(MahiMahi,Ahi,Ono,Huge Ulua). It is an absolute blast!Nothing like having a 74lb fish(My biggest Ulua:)pull u around the ocean for 3 1/2 hours. What a ride.

boyHaole

Latest posts

Back