floaters vs sinkers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got off the phone with mother nature, she say's you are all right. she say's some sink and some float so that the can sink in puddles and float down rivers a ways before sinking and some never sink so they can float to the ocean and spread out better but still grow.
puff

A seed fresh out of the pod is wet, heavy and will sink unless it's a coconut, lol. Dry seeds will float untill enough moisture is absorbed, of course. A seed with a healthy embryo should be heavy or "full" and SHOULD SINK. If not immediatly then very shortly after submersion when the outer carapis has absorbed an adequit amount of h2o. No, not all seeds are meant to float like free range chickens to whatever fate they fall into, some sink because it's natural since they usually grow ON SLOPES or away from direct water sources. Not everything grows next to a body of water. I would suspect a seed that never sinks to the bottom to be malformed with a little, unhealthy embryo or dead with no moisture in it at all. Think of the big healthy plants that have gone down the toilet only to have runts grown in thier stead!!:holysheep:

ya i agree with sativaweed. lots of wasted seeds if you flush the sinkers. if it works for anyone then do it but its never worked that way for me.

..and I think Sat' probably has the best explanation/reasoning yet. I admittedly didn't google 'hydrochory. I'm sure that it supports your hypothesis Albrecht, and I'm sure you aren't purposely attempting to mislead anyone. My post was strictly from past experiences.
"I".. have never, that I recall, saw a floating seed, sprout a tap root. I have however, seen a good many sprouted that were lieing at the bottom of a glass full of water. I also have saw seeds that sank never germinate.
Thus, the conclusion, that sinking or floating is NOT a reliable method of determining viability .. ;)

Ok I did the Floater vs sinker and this is what I found.
I place 9 seeds in water and waited 5 mins and pushed down the seeds and only 2 sinked and 7 floated as u can see in the 1 Pix. started on the Sat. 26.
2 Pix u can see I seperated them..
3 pix u can see only 2 floater seeds has popped and that was on the 27 the next day..
The rest didn't pop and they set for Grem for 4 days and finely trash can them so those 2 that sunk were bad seed that maybe because they filled with water..

Floaters Vs Sinkers 002.jpg

Floaters Vs Sinkers 003.jpg

Seeds pop 7-29 003.jpg

Never used that method. I plant my seeds in soil and wait. Almost always see them pop.
Use to use the paper towel method but haven't in along time. Good ole mother nature hardly ever fails me.

Floating seeds are not good from my understanding. If they don't take in the water how will they germinate. Floating seeds mean they are not absorbing water.

Floating seeds are not good from my understanding. If they don't take in the water how will they germinate. Floating seeds mean they are not absorbing water.
Not always true , I have had floaters grow
A floater is usually a seed that the outer skin has not allowed the water to pernitrate the seeds husk and become heavy with water.
If you plant it it may take more time to soak up and swell and then pop.
Sometimes Yep
Its a Dude

I'm just going by logic. I have never used that method. I plant my seeds in soil or Jiffy Pots.
I let mother nature do her thing. But if I was I would scuff them first then put them in the glass of water.

I’ve never had any luck with floaters

most of the floaters I’ve seen can be crushed with my fingers because they are practically hollow inside

For the record , we use the soaking method and then in paper towels inside a baggie and then in a brown grocery sack for darkness and then a heating mat for germination

Latest posts

Back