Flowering a male

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motor City Madman

hiding in the projects
Reaction score
Is a male plant susceptible to light leaks? Can you herm a male? Normally I would kill a male but I have been thinking of breeding my Bubble dust with a berry strain. Berry Bubble dust would be killer. Anyway once I take him out of the flower box do I need to put him in a Light tight box or can it have small light leaks

How long has it been in "seed" if its been some time no probs with leaky room if early then perhaps those leaks will cause issues, IMHO

I don't reckon you can turn a male hermie....ever. I'm pretty sure it's just the ladies that have penis envy, not guys that want to tuck their pollensacks between their leaves and talk with a higher pitched voice. However, just speculation. I'm pretty sure you can treat a guy like crap, and he'll still produce ;)

I have seen several very reputable people on this site post pictures of their Male that turned hermie. I don't know what causes it though. I believe Dj Short wrote that if a male turns hermie his offspring will be particularly potent, so don't try to cause it, but it may not be a bad thing if it occurs naturally. I have no experience with this though, I am just repeating what I have seen and read. Personally, I believe that all hermies should be culled, if it is within a plants genetics to turn hermie, it is within it's genetics to pass that trait on...JMHO.

lol, i would think a male turning female, or a female turning male, either way, would produce a less potent and hermi prone strain of crappy ditch weed

A little research led to this from Dj short:

A quick word on backward hermaphrodites- declared males that eventually sport female flowers- as opposed to the usual female to male hermaphrodites. Theses are semi-rare occurances, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in there genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsecquent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.

So like I said in my previous post, I wouldn't want it, but DJ Short knows a lot more than I do. According to him these are less likely to produce more hermies and will increase your female to male ratio. Now you have some information, you'll have to make your decision if the time comes, but more than likely you will not have a backward hermie with viable pollen.

you can have light leaks if all you are after is the pollen..just be sure to have him do his thing far far away from Ladies..good luck and keep us posted when you decide at that time

I was just wondering if I could just stick him in temporary box or do I need to seal it all up. I think I may have found a strain.

Sex : Regular
Type : Sativa
Flowering : Photo period Genetics : Black Domino, Raspberry Cough
Flowering Time : Medium Outdoor Harvest : Unknown
Height : Medium THC Level : High
Characteristics : Thick and heavy

Blackberry's mother, Black Domino, was a clone sent to the Netherlands from the area around Seattle. Its father is Nirvana's very own Raspberry Cough.Domino's tight leaf structure has been preserved well in this hybrid. Blackberry smoke is thick and heavy with subtle hints of Asian Sativa flavors. Yields are very good for a strain that already displays so many desirable traits.

Thanks for all the advice.
MCM

Latest posts

Back