Flushing / Nitrogen / Trichomes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDotee

Reaction score
Of the last set, two girls of the batch were a test on taste by flushing at different stages of flowering ( for the sake of science! ). In any event one of the girls I did a final flush at 18 days and just ph-d water till the end.

Now 2 days from 10 weeks of flower the trichs are still a mix of clear/cloudy. The strain is AK-48. This is the 3rd cloned generation from seed.

My question is this... Will a deficiency of nutrients STOP trich development?

Or will they mature to amber without nutrients? The fan leaves are all either completely yellow or nearing the top of the colas they are a mix of grn/yelw. I don't have any photos with me.... If they are really needed to answer the question I will provide tonight. TY

TY

No ! A defiency can cause a lot of problems but IMO it will not stop your plant from getting amber trichs . The reason they are still cloudy is probably due to having a long flowering strain i.e sativa's can take from 10 -16 weeks to complete flowering where as indica strains are much shorter 7-12 weeks but this is very dependant on the breeders information supplied as well its usally pretty close to what they say ! Patience is the word of the day ! OOHH and when god gave us this wonderful herb i am sure they survived and matured without to many nutes They are getting very close @ 2 weeks away ! But wait for more info to come as well !

Thank you for the answers! Exactly what I needed, ty ty

If your plant has green leaves all the way down to the bottom, than you fed too much nitrogen in the beginning and flushing will not do you any good.

well first i would like to say how much for he unicorn??
you take cash?? :p

but seriously.. being a "newer" grower i know what stoney means.. i was told i have to flush the last wk or 2 before harvest..
after growing a few, and learning so much from all you guys.. i would say the taste comes from the drying/curing process.IMO.. maybe if anything the chem thats left in the plant, but who ever smokes out there theres no difference, but once again this is my opinion.. being nature of a new grower..

i find it easy to be drawn or buy into the bullsheit gimicks...
to each there own... and own to teach. is a growers preach...
lol
LH

I'd have to agree with lefthand & stoneybud.. i just harvested a week ago without flushing at all. while i was planning to, i ended up with some seeds trying to grow so i cut sooner than was planned. smoke tastes good and is fairly smooth. no sparkling or black ash at all, which i was "told" are causes of not flushing..

ishnish said:
I'd have to agree with lefthand & stoneybud.. i just harvested a week ago without flushing at all. while i was planning to, i ended up with some seeds trying to grow so i cut sooner than was planned. smoke tastes good and is fairly smooth. no sparkling or black ash at all, which i was "told" are causes of not flushing..

you know what ishnish.i was also told if one doest flush you get the black ash and sizzilin...
LH

I dont "Flush".

I "Clean". I use Clearex to remove built up salts in the plants vascular system. I have to do this because I use a 2 part solution from House and Garden.

Trust me, there is a difference. Salt wise. Flushing, does nothing but starve your plants.

Especially sativas, because technically, most of them never "Finish" ripening.

We are on the same page stony...remember?

prod_nutrients.gif

CLEAREX ™
Salt Leaching Solution

A common cause of crop failure can be traced to the build up of nutrient salt deposits in soils or soilless grow media. High salt concentrations in the soil solution cause a shrinkage of plant cell protoplasm away from the cell wall as a result of osmosis.This condition, known as plasmolysis, can eventually lead to irreversible wilting.

CLEAREX ™ is a scientifically formulated isotonic drench solution, which effectively binds with the excess nutrient salt and safely leaches it from the soil. Leaching with tap or deionized water can lead to hyptonic conditions which cause cell lycis with outflow of essential electrolytes and nutrients.

This causes tissue damage leading to serious pathogen disorders such as bacterial and fungal infections. CLEAREX ™ is isotonic, therefore, it creates a safe osmotic environment which allows plant cells to maintain an optimal turgor pressure during treatment.

CLEAREX ™ can also be used at the end of a crop’s growth cycle to trigger the last reproductive stage of the plant, forcing it to process and assimilate endogenous nutrients. CLEAREX ™ contains specific electrolytes and selected mono and disaccharides which provide energy for the biosynthesis of important plant metabolites and macromolecules.

Preharvest treatments with CLEAREX ™ are known to enhance the flavor and increase yields in fruits, vegetables, and culinary herbs by flushing out extraneous chemical nutrients.

I most assuredly understand that you believe it to be an organic aid and flavor enhancement

I don't think its organic. never seen an organic grower use it to date...only hydro guys and some chem/dirt growers.

Flushing defeats the entire purpose of organics.

(when i say organics...i don't mean pre-mixed organic ferts from companies...don't have much experience with those)

I use the two part nutes, in my rez. I love them. Canna makes great stuff. House and garden makes Vanderswan, wich works magnificently well with tap water.

No, these are not organic. But I also make a compost tea in every feed batch which is organic.

UMBRA put's it best: Feed the soil, not the plants.

Overfeeding is overfeeding. Trowing gallons of plain water on your plants in late harvest is only gonna bite you in the rear. Unless you use straight Chem nutes and are just trying to get either the salts out, or the plant to use up the remaining food they have stored.

In the final week before harvest...I don't even water three or four days before I harvest.

instead of startin a new thread i shoulda put my ? up here if i woulda seen it prior.

i have flora kleen and used it on some and some just strait water the last week or better prior to harvest. teh ones i used florakleen for final flush i used FK/water the last 3 waterings at rate of 1.5 tsp per gallon water.
now the same strain girls i used plain water on all have a very dominant flavor to them. very noticable.
now the bud i smoke which i used fk in final stage almost has no taste to it at all. but is very very smooth
i mean it had a taste but it tasted like nothing... that make sense? lol idk im stoned.
im just curious if maybe i should used fk in the water only the last watering and not the last 3 over a week an half period
anyone else ever notice this with usin flushing agents(?) durin preharvest flush vs usin strait water?

good read tho.
thanks for the info too guys.
but wat ya think on the havin hardly any taste at all part above ?

I gotta weigh in on this.. I have noticed a difference between the harshness of a plant that I flushed and str8 watered for a week before harves, and a plant that was allowed to suck nutes until the day of harvest.

I flush/water because I believe the plant would much rather consume it's own sugars when it comes to the final stages of flowering and creating trichomes. Hence the tendency to "yellow out" towards the end.

I also think that give the nature of the ph being more acidic, 5.5 -5.8 that allowing this liquid to dry inside your plants, when burned with flame causes the harshness of the smoke. Of course that is relative to your smoking apparatus as well. Bubbler vs. Straight pipe.

No scientific facts to back any of that up. Just a growers opinion.

StoneyBud said:
The two questions you ask have nothing to do with one another.

1. Yes, the Trichomes development will slow or stop as a result of not feeding the plant. You are starving it to death.

2. The existing Trichomes will age from clear to cloudy to amber. That is because of the age of the Trichomes, not the feeding or lack of feeding of the plant.

If you feed your plant right up to the moment you harvest, then Trichome production will also keep happening right up to harvest.

No Double Blind Tests have been done to verify the results of "flushing" for taste. It's all nothing more than a popular myth.

If it makes you feel better to flush your plants, then flush them. If you think it makes it taste better, then that's great!

Now I'm going out into my garden and play with my unicorn. :D

awesome info thanks! passing it back pp. :48:

personally i honestly dont know wat to think of the whole flushin before chop thing. i've done both and notice diff on sum and sum others didnt notice no diff. but the difference i noticed seemed to go away more as it was jarred up longer(cured)
i also read somewhere bout how magnesium had a big impact on teh end product as far as the way it burns etc.. as well as nitrogen :confused2: but idk lol.
i am wonderin botu the use of cleansers liek flora kleen in the final flush process. the end product of the one i used FK on vs teh other of liek strain just water the one wwit FK had liek no taste at all. but was hella smooth smoke tho. smoother than the one flushed wit water plain. but it had more flavor than teh one flushed wit flora kleen.
stoney didnt you post somewhere teh explanation of how/why you beg to disagree ont he whole flushin beneficial to flavor etc thing. i mean liek the process of the plant itself and its uptake of nutrients etc all the way up until teh end product...
i recall readin somethin on here somewhere in ont he debates over flushing before harvest.

:48:

:48: well, right now im flowering all clones and all same strain except for one. but im a flush sum this next harvest and some not again i guess an see.

Latest posts

Back