Fresca Sol Help......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcarlin_818

Farmer Gill
Reaction score
Whats up guys I am using a Fresca sol(Watercooled Reflector) with a 1000 HPS bulb with a 4x4 tray I am haveing a problem chilling my water for the reflector...Ive tried buying a freezer drilling holes into it and running the tubeing for the reflector through it...didnt work,so every day i have to exchange the water twice once in the morning and once in the evening...Any ideas on how to chill the water with out spending an arm and a leg.......

You need to find a way to dissipate the heat. Try an old radiator from a vehicle with a box fan. Or you could make your own radiator out of tubing and bury it 10 feet under ground. The ground would leech the heat from the pipes. Or you could hook it up and continually feed it fresh water depending on if you pay for water or not. You could use the water to heat a outdoor pool. You could set up a system that would feed fresh water into the system everytime you flushed your toilet and feed the warm water to the tank of the toilet. The possibilities are endless it all depends on what you want to spend and your ability with tools. The water in the system will never be cold, that won't happen and would actually be bad for your radiator. It would cause massive expansion and contraction in the metal and degrade its strength. Big temp swings are usually something you want to avoid no matter what you are doing. Basically if you can still put your hand on the hood of your light and not burn yourself then the system is doing its job. How well its doing its job is up to how much you want to spend and or work lol.

Good luck man, let me know what you decide, and if you need more ideas or plumbing help shoot me a line.

Thanks for the reply...I dont pay for water luckily how would I do that from a bathtub or what were you thinking???? With the water at its hottest I can still touch the glass on the reflector,Im just a lil anal since the fresca cost me 400$Im growing O.G and the clones were so expensive that everything has to be rightI live in an apartment too so the res for the fresca is sitting in the closet of the grow room.let me know if the bathtub is the way to roll thanks again....

Well if you wanted to you could just run it from a tap through your lights and to a drain. No pump no rez but your water usage would be high, not sure if they would notice that in a apartment or not. Or you could build a ghetto heat exchanger for less than a hundred bucks, give me 5 minutes and I'll draw you a blue print and make you a mini how to.

Peace

Ok below you will find a diagram of the setup. Really easy to do. I've never ran a water cooled light but it works on the same principles of my air conditioning setup I made myself years ago when I was broke and had to much time on my hands lol.

Parts list
1 smallblock radiator. This should be no bigger than the fan you intend to use, the bigger the fan the bigger the rad you can use. Go to pick a part or any auto wrecker and find something to suit your needs.

1 large box fan, like 2ft x 2ft should do nicely.

Duct tape
Garden hose
Bandaids :D

Ok so mount the rad to the front of your fan so that the fan will be blowing air through it. I used a combination of duct tape and steel banding but how you do it is up to you just make sure its on their. Hook the garden hose to the inlet on the radiator (iirc it dosen't matter which way water flows through it. Turn the water on and make sure the rad dosn't leak and that water can flow freely out the other side. If its all good hook up the other hose and set it up like I have on the diagram. Turn on you fan and pump and wham you got yourself a Ghetto Tater original heat exchanger. The cooler the air is the better the heat exchanger will work.

Oh yeah and the reason your freezer idea didn't work is one you most likely didn't have enough tubing stuffed in their, the further the water has to travel inside the freezer the longer it will have to cool and two, the chances of your freezer being able to keep up is pretty nill, it would be like leaving your fridge door open all the time and wondering why your food spoiled. For more ideas go look at overclocking computer forums and what not, those guys are cooling gods when it comes to water cooling.

pumpsystem.jpg

Let us know how those lights work. I'm thinking about switching to them as well. It would really help with heat issues in a small grow room. Higher initial investment but the return should more than make up for it.

Cool man thanks for the blueprint i didnt answer cuz I went to buy a new radiator...LOL ..

Whats up Tater Ive ran into some more problems I boarded up my window so no light is visible at night ,when I came home today I noticed that the curtains are melting.......But I went and bought a 100 gallon res (Trashcan)for the fresca sol...tommorow I will know if that cools it a lil I was using a 32 gallon before so big upgrade....

Just a lil update I bought a 100 gallon res and filled it with water the weight was too much around 800lbs and it leaked so best bet was to use the bathtub in the extra bathroom...the porcelin in the tub keeps the water very fresh.....I highly recomend using the Fresca Sol I can go and touch the glass on the reflector after the light has been on for 18 hours I could even put my cheek on it...No Heat in the room either...Save big on venting ......

gcarlin_818 said:
Whats up guys I am using a Fresca sol(Watercooled Reflector) with a 1000 HPS bulb with a 4x4 tray I am haveing a problem chilling my water for the reflector...Ive tried buying a freezer drilling holes into it and running the tubeing for the reflector through it...didnt work,so every day i have to exchange the water twice once in the morning and once in the evening...Any ideas on how to chill the water with out spending an arm and a leg.......

The freezer thing would work (you should use a frig to keep things from freezing when the light is off), but you just need a lot of tubing. Plastic tubing is actually fairly inexpensive. You could coil hundreds of feet of smaller diameter tubing in there. That cold water you get through the door of your frig is cooled this way.

How did you melt your curtains lol. Glad to hear you got things sorted. And if you do choose to go back to the freezer route and use more tubing like hemp goddess and I told you you are going to make sure you have a pump that can handle the extra length in your water line. The more tubing you have the stronger your pump has to be.

cool the tub works lil a charm ........I also wanted to let you know that if you were intrested in getting a fresca I have an extra one I dont want to spend money on another ballast and bulb drop me a line man on my email
[email protected] so we can talk more about it

Latest posts

Back