Garden Grove bans medical marijuana dispensaries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
City Council members voted to pass an ordinance banning medical marijuana dispensaries.

Several people spoke against the proposed ordinance on dispensaries at Tuesday night's council meeting. No one spoke in favor of the ban.

Council members voted 4-1 for the ordinance prohibiting the dispensaries, with Councilman Mark Rosen casting the sole dissenting vote.

Rosen said he would like more information from police about an existing unauthorized medical marijuana clinic in Garden Grove.

"I'd like to find out if this facility has had any negative impacts on the community," he said.

Police officials said no incidents were reported at or near the dispensary on Brookhurst Street in the seven months it has operated. Several speakers at the meeting also said they have been buying their marijuana from this business popularly known among users as "Unit D.".

Police officials confirmed that the business at that location was licensed as a dance studio but operating as a medical marijuana dispensary. No children were seen there taking dance lessons, officials said.

Joe Byron, the owner of the dispensary in question, told the council that he was not operating covertly and in fact has a general retail license from the city to do business. He said the business at the location before his was a dance studio.

"We weren't trying to be covert or sneaky," he said. "In fact, we do quite a bit of Internet marketing."

But the rest of the council was firmly in support of the ban.

Councilwoman Dina Nguyen said she sympathizes with patients who need marijuana to ease their pain but believes the clinics would put more strain on the city's Police Department, which is already short-staffed.

Councilman Steve Jones said the city should not be made to decide on an issue the state and the federal governments have yet to agree on. Mayor Bill Dalton said he doesn't support it because it is not "regulated right."

"I just don't think this is the way marijuana should be dispensed," he said.

Users of medical marijuana who spoke at the meeting said they'd rather buy their medication from an authorized dispensary.

"It's a much safer environment than trying to get it from a dealer on the street," said Jason Andrews.

Others said they would have to drive as far as Lake Forest to get their medication if Garden Grove bans the dispensaries.

The city considered the ban based on the Police Department's recommendation. Police Chief Joseph Polisar in his report said other communities have seen adverse affects ranging from burglaries and robberies to assaults and murders in and around the dispensaries.

Some Orange County cities with moratoriums or permanent bans on pot dispensaries include Buena Park, Fullerton, Mission Viejo, Santa Ana, Tustin, Huntington Beach and Placentia. Laguna Woods last week became the first local city to pass an ordinance allowing medical marijuana dispensaries.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/4h6572
javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$bodycontent$ArticleDisplay$lnkByLine','')

The same thing has happened here in Santa Clara County. Millions of people...thousands of patients and not one dispencery.

I have been trying to find a way to open my own as of recent and the county will NOT allow it.

Whatever, their loss.
Those places are money making machines...unbelievable amounts of money flows through a good popular cannabis club.

...is it wrong to want a piece?

Far as I know Rite-Aid is not a NPO.

Some people really frown on dispensaries because they act as "DEALERS..." Well what do you want?? You give someone permission to smoke some herb but they have no way of growing it themselves, what do you do????

"I'd like to find out if this facility has had any negative impacts on the community,"

-no incidents were reported at or near the dispensary on Brookhurst Street in the seven months it has operated.

-No children were seen there taking dance lessons, officials said.

-has a general retail license from the city to do business.

-It's a much safer environment than trying to get it from a dealer on the street

But the rest of the council was firmly in support of the ban.
Councilwoman Dina Nguyen said she sympathizes with patients who need marijuana to ease their pain but believes the clinics would put more strain on the city's Police Department, which is already short-staffed.

did they not raise the above points to her and Mr Rosen? or this another case of stupid people being so butt hurt and scared of our favorite plant?

Councilman Steve Jones said the city should not be made to decide on an issue the state and the federal governments have yet to agree on. Mayor Bill Dalton said he doesn't support it because it is not "regulated right."
*see taxed rediculously?*

The city considered the ban based on the Police Department's recommendation. Police Chief Joseph Polisar in his report said other communities have seen adverse affects ranging from burglaries and robberies to assaults and murders in and around the dispensaries.
:doh:
let me quote my mother here.. "if these other communities jumped off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?":yay:

there's been no problems since it's been open, but nah, we'll close it because others have had problems :confused: can't say i've ever seen that for any other business.

so pathetic.

I think that's an excuse from the police department because those dispensaries are in locations where all that crime was previously. Those are probably the only spots where they could get shops. Head shops are not in exactly the nicest part of towns either when you think about it but do not contribute more or less to crime in the area. I don't see how it would give police any trouble if they are legal dispensaries! They need to go do their job instead of depending on ticket money from marijuana patients. Most councilmen will do whatever to stay in favor but I really hope they feel like crap because what they did was take away medicine from people.

When you really have a passion about something the money will take it away because greed ruins everything. I can't say I want them to tax marijuana because it's a freaking plant but if the dispensaries pay their rent and if they have a sales tax that they pay the state then what is the big problem here?

Dealers tend to be people none of us want to do business with but almost have no choice if you need medicine. Nobody likes a dealer. Can you honestly remember the last time you even liked a car dealer? Most are cocky, pushy, and obnoxious people who seem to stand in the way of what you need. If there is a way to get past them then we do. Not to say that all are like that but from my experience those are the kinds of people I run into so I don't deal with them anymore. It's not even worth the energy and the annoyance.

Because Marijuana still has that stigma associated with it. However, people are finally looking around their blinders and peeking out to find that not all smokers of herb are 3 headed beasts ready to rape and pillage. Bunch of damn fools. You can go to any store and throw your life away with booze, get into a car accident and kill an innocent family, lose your house, job, family with booze (LEGALLY) I may add, but you can't have a dispensary in your town. Pathetic.

Latest posts

Back