Germination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
After 3 years of having no problems germinating., some or most are not coming up. Put 3 days IN A CUP W/WATER then put in jiffy cubes as usual. Very disappointing...when lifting covers off just now, I noticed the temp felt like 100 degrees inside dome. Note: no heat pad under. T 4 light 3 in. Above plant base.. Should I drill a few holes in see thru plastic cover??? I just put a fan rotating between jiffy tray and light..?? Any thoughts??

keepin them there jiffy cubes damp pilgrem and inside dome humid just a short hair? I likes to do mine btweens paperstowels and wait til sees pop with me own eye then I sees what be goin on rather then plungin to dirt and wonderin ifin they popped but thats just me reckon yual will perfect yur ways gain I bet. Good luck pilgrem ;)

BWD

Is light able to penetrate your cups? For a long time I did the paper towel method, all of the sudden it was not working for me anymore. I have not tried the cup with water method but I have a friend that swears by it, He says he paints his cups black.
I now use an ice cube tray filled with soil. As soon as they emerge you can scoop them out easily if they are moist. I'm a beginner but I found it odd and fustrating that I couldn't get seeds to germ with the p towel as it the most widely used and easiest method IMO.
If they are high $$ seeds try planting them in 20 oz. styrofoam cups. I'm pretty sure that 100 degree temps are definitely an issue.

First thing; Ditch the dome. I never use domes anymore as they create as many problems(for me) as they correct. Domes really should only be used for cloning to hold in moisture, and I don't even use them for that myself. It sounds like you are cooking your seeds rather than germing them. The dome will hold in too much heat and moisture which is either baking the seeds or steaming them. Also, it may be that they are getting too much light before they germ, which will prevent germing sometimes.

Like BWD, I start with the wet paper towel method as I am able to control all of the environmental factors, and I can see when they pop. The key to the paper towel method is: total darkness, controlled moisture, and temp control. You start by getting a covered crock or roasting container that can be covered to keep out light. Then take a couple white paper towels, fold them, and place the seeds in them, and gently place them in a 1gal freezer bag. Then run some water and get it exactly 80f degrees, no warmer, no cooler. Slowly pour it onto the paper towels in the freezer bag until the towels are soaked through then fold over the bag so that the water doesn't leak out but leave it open so that air can get in. Cover the container and set in a warm place in the dark, like the upper part of the kitchen cabinets. Don't put it in the sun or on any kind of heat. In 48hrs pull them out and check to see if they are popped, most will be. I have fresh seeds pop in 24hrs.

As soon as you see that they have popped and the little root tail is coming out about 1cm, get them out of the towel and into some medium. I personally do not like the Jiffy pucks as they hold too much moisture for me and drown the seedlings. I like the Rapid rooters myself, but you can go straight into soil if you are growing in soil. I use the red plastic 8oz cups with holes burnt into the bottoms so that they can drain out excess water. You want to keep them damp, not wet or they will "damp-off" and die. I keep these in a closed location with low light and warm temps until I see the heads of the seedlings clear the surface of the soil, then I move them to the light.

I hope this helps you :)

Hushpuppy said:
First thing; Ditch the dome. I never use domes anymore as they create as many problems(for me) as they correct. Domes really should only be used for cloning to hold in moisture, and I don't even use them for that myself. It sounds like you are cooking your seeds rather than germing them. The dome will hold in too much heat and moisture which is either baking the seeds or steaming them. Also, it may be that they are getting too much light before they germ, which will prevent germing sometimes.

Like BWD, I start with the wet paper towel method as I am able to control all of the environmental factors, and I can see when they pop. The key to the paper towel method is: total darkness, controlled moisture, and temp control. You start by getting a covered crock or roasting container that can be covered to keep out light. Then take a couple white paper towels, fold them, and place the seeds in them, and gently place them in a 1gal freezer bag. Then run some water and get it exactly 80f degrees, no warmer, no cooler. Slowly pour it onto the paper towels in the freezer bag until the towels are soaked through then fold over the bag so that the water doesn't leak out but leave it open so that air can get in. Cover the container and set in a warm place in the dark, like the upper part of the kitchen cabinets. Don't put it in the sun or on any kind of heat. In 48hrs pull them out and check to see if they are popped, most will be. I have fresh seeds pop in 24hrs.

As soon as you see that they have popped and the little root tail is coming out about 1cm, get them out of the towel and into some medium. I personally do not like the Jiffy pucks as they hold too much moisture for me and drown the seedlings. I like the Rapid rooters myself, but you can go straight into soil if you are growing in soil. I use the red plastic 8oz cups with holes burnt into the bottoms so that they can drain out excess water. You want to keep them damp, not wet or they will "damp-off" and die. I keep these in a closed location with low light and warm temps until I see the heads of the seedlings clear the surface of the soil, then I move them to the light.

Good postin right thar ;) Cant go wrong ifin yual follows this pilgrems recipiy cause its like mine but mine more rustic ;)

BWD

Hushpuppy said:

i was cooking!!! i kitty kornered the clear plastic domes. also ran a fan to change 2 in. air space between light and cover.all is coo:D l now..thanks!!

4u2sm0ke said:

Hi 4u,
Started 2nd batch of beans.used pre purchased Burpee self watering dome system. Started 2 days in a plastic cup, 2 in. Warm water in microwave. Stays warm and dark in there. Planted w/tap root facing down
W/1/8 in. Material on top. In 3 days all 23 planted came up. 23 for 23, tickled.
NOTE: cover must be kept kitty cornered or just loose or will cook. But very very pleased. Got my grow permit (recommendation) hope alls well bud:D

I put my seeds in Soil,, and water them. Thats it.

Hushpuppy said:

THANKS! a bud is trying your method right now. can"t wait to see how he makes out.

4u2sm0ke said:
:rofl:

One in every crowd:p

:48:

Yeah,,sorry. I used to do all that other Stuff. Paper Towel,Glass of water, and others. And in all honesty,,I have seen only one difference with just puttem in the Soil or Plugs,,,I dont have to touch my babies after they popped and are so delicate.:D
But what ever works for ya,,is the best.;)

WeedHopper said:
Yeah,,sorry. I used to do all that other Stuff. Paper Towel,Glass of water, and others. And in all honesty,,I have seen only one difference with just puttem in the Soil or Plugs,,,I dont have to touch my babies after they popped and are so delicate.:D
But what ever works for ya,,is the best.;)

yup everyone worries for seeds to crack then touching it probably doing more harm ???? damp warm soil, dome, lighting. and your golden
God forbid farmers worrying about there 200,000 seeds to pop appears they have no issues either ???

Latest posts

Back