Gertrude ( Carmelicious )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

" Rookie "
Reaction score
When I purchased these seeds, I read that their max height would be 26 inches. Gertrude is now 29 1/2 inches tall .......

Please don't get me wrong, I am not complaining by any means,.....
However!.......

There was a Movie many years ago with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin
about an overgrown Cannibal Plant that started eating people. ( Anyone
remember the name of this Fick ) Should I be worried ????

Beers are missing from the Fridge and some of the channel settings on the
TV are different.

How do I stop her .....2 and 1/2 feet tall is enough for me!

Gordon:holysheep:

Gordon said:
There was a Movie many years ago with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin about an overgrown Cannibal Plant that started eating people. ( Anyone remember the name of this Fick ) Should I be worried ????

Beers are missing from the Fridge and some of the channel settings on the
TV are different.

How do I stop her .....2 and 1/2 feet tall is enough for me!

Gordon:holysheep:

The movie was Little Shop of Horrors and the plant was Audrey II.

Don't worry until any family pets are missing.

AG

If the plant is still in veg then you are in for a real treat when you flip it and start flowering...you cld be looking at a 6 foot tall xmas tree...:D

You should get some decorations for it for Christmas. Would look great with fairy lights!

Happy growing

Hello Everyone...

Speaking of Christmas,...

Gertrude ( carmelicious ) is now in her 3rd week of flowering and now over 3
ft tall. Since this is my first grow, I want to describe it's current Look. It
has lots of pretty little flowering and it resembles a Christmas Snow Globe
in the way that the powder is falling at the slightest touch of the Planter or
Plant itself. Avery yellowish/white Powder all over it's leaves .....reminds me
of a Commercial for Pollen/Hayfever sufferers.

Question> Is this what I'm supposed to be seeing??

First Christmas for Gertrude....

Gordon

Dandruff on buds? How bout pics. Does it look like other carmel you have seen, check for some pics of what she should look like in the gallery. max 2 1/2 feet. sounds like someone mixed the seeds to me. Hope she turns out super tasty.

Hey Bud,

No,....no Powder on Buds,...I have Powder falling all over the Leaves,......
A very Pollen like dust. No Buds yet....just Flowers.

Without a pic not sure. Nor have I seen a male poinate a plant but.......are you sure it is not a male..

If you've got powder all over the leaves it sounds like you have a male plant that split open and releasing pollen...how long have you been growing? Do you know how to tell the difference between a male and female?....what you are describing sure sounds like male pollen....or it could be the way you are describing it, when you say very pollen looking...if it is pollen looking then it is, either you have a male in there or a hermi...get pics up asap, of course if it has already released, your grow has already been compromised, and the fems are pollinated.

Hey Free,

I have a feeling your right! My description and your response tells me it is a Male. I have not compromised....It's just one plant. No harm , no foul....
Just time spent learning.....

Thank you

Gordon

yeah...well you are going to want to clean your grow area very thouroghly using hot water, with a couple caps full of bleach. Make sure you scrub everything down, to be posotive that you get all the pollen. You don't want that stuff hanging around to fertalize your fems when you do grow them.

Welcome to MP

Question To The Group:

Since I am still a " ROOKIE " and have not even seen a Female in my crop...

Can I get some help on where to purchase seeds and should I go for Feminized? I still have about 15 or so left of the Carmelicious seeds that I got from " AMSTERDAM " ....

I need easy to grow Indoor Seeds. Is Feminized the way to go?

I am a small grower and usually start 3 seeds and get 1 good female for a mom. I've heard enough bad things about fem seeds that I won't use them.

I haven't used them...if they were the same price as regular seeds I might try them...I've had enough problems with hermi's though

Thanks Keeper,.....
Thanks Freedom,....

I have decided to stay with the Carmelicious seeds that I have left from my Original Order. I am Germinating 6 seeds as I Type this.

Question: Once they " POP " and I plant them in my Soil ,.....is it 24/7
Light ( i'm using Flourescent ) from the very start?

Or should I be using 18 on 6 off , .....which I read somewhere
means less stress for the Plant later on when I go to 12/12...

Any Tips?

I use to run 18/6 because I thought that the plant needed down time, I have since found out that the plant does not need the down time, and so I now run 24 hrs, to speed up the vegging process, and I actualy think the plants are better on the 24 hr light, they seem healthy, and a shorter node spaceing I think. It could be my imagination though, at any rate, they are healthy, and growing faster than with the dark cycle.

You are going to have to catch your males sooner this time Carmelicious...before they release pollen....you don't want seedy buds.

Gordon said:
I am Germinating 6 seeds as I Type this.
Bingo; several at once and them sex them later. One at a time might take you a while to find your girl. :D

Gordon said:
Question: Once they " POP " and I plant them in my Soil ,.....is it 24/7
Light ( i'm using Flourescent ) from the very start?

Or should I be using 18 on 6 off , .....which I read somewhere
means less stress for the Plant later on when I go to 12/12...Any Tips?
You will find as many opinions as you can find growers on this subject. Like legal, I used to go 20 & 4, 18 & 6, etc.. and finally just went to 24 & 0. For me it was simple: If anything is significantly stressing my girls, it's gonna be observable in some way. If I can discern no negative impact between any one regimen or another, I will go with the one that produces observable positive impact.

I hear folks arguing the most arcane posits and theories regarding the growing arts and I must admit I find a lot of it kinduv silly and largely speculative. It's what happens in closed societies of enthusiastic hobbists though, and god bless 'em for it :) . Be that as it may, however, I have yet to hear a coherent argument for allowing plants to "sleep," and have had zero observable or manifest problems. In my opinion the "sleep" argument is a total non sequitur.

Legalize freedom said:
yeah...well you are going to want to clean your grow area very thouroghly using hot water, with a couple caps full of bleach. Make sure you scrub everything down, to be posotive that you get all the pollen. You don't want that stuff hanging around to fertalize your fems when you do grow them
Agreed, agreed, agreed. One other thing you might consider, if you can get your hands on one, is a negative ion generator. They're great for keeping micro-particulates like pollen out of the air. The deal is that no matter how stringently you clean your now-contaminated grow space, you're gonna miss some of it, period. It only takes a tiny amount of pollen to ruin your grow, and it can remain viable for a long time; as long as the inert exine layer, and tough, cellulose intine layer both remain uncompromised, the protoplasm inside will remain alive. The good news is that, short of you accidentally pollinating your girls with your own meathooks, pollen must become airborne in order to reach the female's stigma. Enter the negative ion generator. This will knock down any airborne particulates between 15 to approx. 100 microns, including pollen. The negative ion attaches itself to the more positive neutral pollen grain, giving it a negative charge. Now the negatively charged pollen grain will act as a magnet, attracting other more positively charged particulates to itself, quickly becoming too heavy to float in the air. This also helps to inhibit the "sticking" of the pollen grain to the stigma simply because it's got a bunch of crud stuck to it. I use one not because I have a contaminated grow space, but I happen to know that there's more than a few growers in my area who frequently start new strains and are therefore cultivating males in the process of finding females (like you ;) ) and I don't want to chance their wayward pollens floating into my grow. A pollinating male can be a threat from miles away. So far so good.

~Snax (he Who Lurks)

Nice to see ya snax....you've not posted for a little while, I always enjoy reading your posts. You write with a flare seldom seen here. I did not think about the negative ion generator, although I know I have read about it. Thanks for adding some solid avice to this thread...I was starting to feel very alone.

i am not sure if it has anything to do with, but on my first grow i did 24/0 and only got 2 males. outta with 8 girls. my next grow i did 20/4 and i got 6 males 6 females. i don't know if it had anything to do with it. but my 3ed and (and best never posted here on MP) got no males and 6 females on 24/0. for me in my area 24/0 is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back