GH 3 part nutes +cal mag???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Silver Bullet Special

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have some plants in Ocean Forrest with no other amendments. I was wondering once the soil has been used up of it's nutes if it would be okay to use GH 3 part nutes + calmag for the rest of the time?

I used to use CalMag+ with my GH 3 part until I started adding sweet lime to my soil mix and didn't need it anymore. I find the sweet lime helps keep ph stable as well. Jmo

I have no amendments in my Fox Farm Ocean Forest either. Last grow the ladies told me they needed Cal Mag where I had not had to use it with prior grows. I started the Cal Mag not long after transplanting. Depends on the needs of the strain I find.

Okay thanks, and when I see people talking about giving 1/4th strength and 1/2 strength nutes is that 1/2 of what the recommended feeding chart says at that stage of growth?

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Okay thanks, and when I see people talking about giving 1/4th strength and 1/2 strength nutes is that 1/2 of what the recommended feeding chart says at that stage of growth?

Yeah I believe so..it is at least for me. I don't follow a feeding schedule, rather I feed by eye. I generally mix everything by the chart on back of the bottles to their full strength and I just feed more often or less often with full strength. I don't really advocate feeding like this because it can be tricky. Only time I ever mix them at 1/2 strength is when I am feeding seedlings for the very first time. jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
I used to use CalMag+ with my GH 3 part until I started adding sweet lime to my soil mix and didn't need it anymore. I find the sweet lime helps keep ph stable as well. Jmo
:yeahthat:

You only need to apply the lime once per grow and it will take care of both the cal/mag and pH.

Cheaper too. Dolomite is ~$4 for a 40lb bag at Lowes or HD.

Wet

Wetdog said:
:yeahthat:

You only need to apply the lime once per grow and it will take care of both the cal/mag and pH.

Cheaper too. Dolomite is ~$4 for a 40lb bag at Lowes or HD.

Wet

Thanks for chiming in Wetdog...you are one of the main reasons I started using sweet lime. I have not gone Organic yet but that was a sweet tip I picked up. Thanks.

I'm glad you guys brought up the lime. I'm about ready to cook up a batch of NV's super soil... Is the dolomite lime the soil sweetner that is required? If so its kind of pathetic that in my area there is a fertilizer ban until the end of October. Mainly because the run-off will go into the ocean and make the red-tide algea blooms. So I was just going to order it off the internet. I don't need much. Also where could I pick up bio-tone?

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Flora-Hydroponics-Pulverized-Dolomitic-Sweetner/dp/B00597YFXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346617924&sr=8-1&keywords=soil+sweetner

Well, the lime does its magic with chems or organic.

I've only been doing organic for the last 3-4 years, but used Jack's Classic for over 35 years. Same basic mix with the lime the whole time.

No surprise though, Jack's is actually formulated to be used with a limed soil and tap water.

Wet

I'm glad you guys brought up the lime. I'm about ready to cook up a batch of NV's super soil... Is the dolomite lime the soil sweetner that is required? If so its kind of pathetic that in my area there is a fertilizer ban until the end of October. Mainly because the run-off will go into the ocean and make the red-tide algea blooms. So I was just going to order it off the internet. I don't need much. Also where could I pick up bio-tone?

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Flora-Hydroponics-Pulverized-Dolomitic-Sweetner/dp/B00597YFXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346617924&sr=8-1&keywords=soil+sweetner

Yes, dolomite is what you want.

Check around though, dolomite isn't a fertilizer, it's crushed limestone rock and no real N-P-K.

If you are in Fl, see if you can snag some 'screenings' from a concrete company. It should be oolitic limestone (old coral) and will work just fine.

Try and avoid paying to ship rocks.

Wet

I too have started using dolomite lime.
Still not sure how much to put in though.
Can you burn plants with this if there is too much?

I've been reading that people put 10% in there. So what's the difference between lime, vermiculite, and perlite? Thanks wet I'll go check out a concrete place.

Perlite - inert- makes space to keep air moving through the roots in your medium comes in several grades fine, medium, coarse.
Vermiculite- inert- helps hold more moisture in the medium.
Dolomite Lime- there are multiple kinds- neutral- helps maintain pH neutrality and has magnesium /calcium - ESPECIALLY important in COCO.

At least that's my understanding- more experienced people will chime in with clearer answers I'm sure

I too see a lot of 1 cup per cubic foot- handful per pot etc.
I use a 750 ML cup as my unit measure- when making my mix it is 3 parts coco/ 3 parts perlite/ 3/4 part worm castings and scant 1/2 cup dolomite.

I've been reading that people put 10% in there. So what's the difference between lime, vermiculite, and perlite? Thanks wet I'll go check out a concrete place.

Perlite>>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlite

Vermiculite>>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

Dolomitic lime>>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolomitic_lime

I just eyeball a handful of lime in about a gallon of soil.

Pearlite is great for keeping the soil/medium from compacting when wet, which really helps the roots keep oxygen in the soil with them. I have found that aerating my water for my organic plants seems to help as well with keeping the soil oxygenated. :)

Latest posts

Back