Group 300 signatures away from marijuana initiative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
FAYETTEVILLE - A group called Sensible Fayetteville needs only 300 more signatures to put a marijuana initiative on the November ballot. They are pushing for the drug to be considered a low priority for police.

Fayetteville police say misdemeanor amounts of marijuana are already considered a low priority, and arrests usually result from involvement in other offenses. But, Sensible Fayetteville says these arrests are clogging the court and jail systems-using up a lot of taxpayer dollars.

Fayetteville Police Cpl. Craig Stout said, "...we don't send out directed patrols, like we do for DWIs or something like that, you know, we're just-this is one that's just when you find it, you find it."

Police say most adults arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana have done something to catch the attention of a cop-driving under the influence, speeding, or even felony crimes when pot is found during a search. They aren't actively seeking out people carrying an ounce or less.

Cpl. Stout said, "...we'd much rather, if we could take down a meth lab as opposed to somebody with an small amount."

Sensible Fayetteville says the initiative is about people letting their voice be heard t his November, and they plan to take it as far as they can go in the state.

Ryan Denham said, "...we'd like to look at passing a state law here. We would like to look into passing a legislation bill so this certainly moving-building momentum to build a movement to get that done."

But they still need 3-hundred signatures to get it on the November ballot.

Denham said, "We're having an event this Saturday at Wilson park from 10-4. We're going to have free food, a raffle, and music and so we'd like citizens to come out sign the petition if they haven't had a chance to do so."

Here's what the public had to say about the initiative.

One woman said, "It's a drug and drugs should not be a low priority offense."

A Fayetteville man said, "...if the doctors think that's the right thing[medical marijuana]-then let the doctor make that decision."

Another Fayetteville man said, "I don't like the idea. I think it's illegal for a reason-it should stay that way."

Police say they follow state law, and say since they already consider ounce or less of pot a low priority-this initiative would do little to change their day to day business.

Sensible Fayetteville organizers say they're looking at state legislation, and this initiative is helping build momentum.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/57d2ah

hey hey hey people look at this, this is your chance to avoid being charge as DUI for smoking pot and driving, you all rather to have a ticket and pay for it if you got busted than sleep overnight in jail and worry your family for a night or 2?

A Fayetteville man said, "...if the doctors think that's the right thing[medical marijuana]-then let the doctor make that decision."

Doctors don't make law decisions, they can help, but legislature does and dont always follow doctors advice

Another Fayetteville man said, "I don't like the idea. I think it's illegal for a reason-it should stay that way."

Narrow minded folks like this guy probably never had a b*** j** either! I just love when interviewers always seem to pick the worst representatives for a region.

tuscani2005 said:
I live in NC...
HERE OR ARKANSAS?????? I WILL GO SIGN IT

I am so sorry...Ft. Dragg is the armpit of the east coast...lol

finally some cops with sense.:holysheep:

Latest posts

Back