Grow vs Buy ... it's been a long time... which way to go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuddzrmeandyou

Reaction score
I am new on the forum here so I appreciate the opportunity to post my question.

I'm 55 and I am starting to get interested in smoking pot again (its probably been 25 years since I last smoked!). Anyway, I'm interested in growing my own but wanted to sanity check this based on consumption vs. cost of growing, hassle, cops etc. (I have glaucoma and I am an artist, so the possible health benefits for the glaucoma (reducing intra acular pressure) along with a little artistic mind expansion has become very appealing!)

I have the space to set up a little closet operation. But with the costs invloved, lighting, fans, suppled what not, would I come out cheaper or end up spending more growin my own vs. just buying? This would be for my own personal consumption, a little here and there... but it has been so long since I bought weed I have no clue what it goes for these days. When I was smoking it was like $30 an ounce (early to mid 80's) :p . I have a buddy who is telling me its like $40 for an 1/8 ounce? ***? $320 an ounce? Maybe whatever they're growing is stronger these days or something. Maybe its the economy, who knows.

Anyway, I would appreciate advice. Thanks all!

First of all welcome to the site. Secondly, once you get past the initial set up costs, the amount of money you save with your first harvest would defiantly be cheaper. Plus you would be growing it yourself so you would know exactly what chemicals did or did not go into the grow. That's my opinion

hey spud, welcome to mp
i think all of us here can relate to your dillema, personally i think that the risk of getting busted trying to buy sub standard weed out way a small discrete closet grow, i can grow 3times the dollar amount of my hydro setup with 1 grow. 4 plants can easily yeild 4 ounces, enough smoke for 1 year at the rate i smoke
if you live in a secure place and can keep your mouth shut, it's not hard to set up a small grow for a couple hundred bucks, read the resources section here at mp and good luck

Hey thanks cadlakmike1 and bruchybill for the replies!
I'll do my research, keep my mouth shut, and give a little closet grow a try!

brushybill said:
hey spud, welcome to mp
i think all of us here can relate to your dillema, personally i think that the risk of getting busted trying to buy sub standard weed out way a small discrete closet grow, i can grow 3times the dollar amount of my hydro setup with 1 grow. 4 plants can easily yeild 4 ounces, enough smoke for 1 year at the rate i smoke
if you live in a secure place and can keep your mouth shut, it's not hard to set up a small grow for a couple hundred bucks, read the resources section here at mp and good luck

spuddzrmeandyou said:
I am new on the forum here so I appreciate the opportunity to post my question.

I'm 55 and I am starting to get interested in smoking pot again (its probably been 25 years since I last smoked!). Anyway, I'm interested in growing my own but wanted to sanity check this based on consumption vs. cost of growing, hassle, cops etc. (I have glaucoma and I am an artist, so the possible health benefits for the glaucoma (reducing intra acular pressure) along with a little artistic mind expansion has become very appealing!)

I have the space to set up a little closet operation. But with the costs invloved, lighting, fans, suppled what not, would I come out cheaper or end up spending more growin my own vs. just buying? This would be for my own personal consumption, a little here and there... but it has been so long since I bought weed I have no clue what it goes for these days. When I was smoking it was like $30 an ounce (early to mid 80's) :p . I have a buddy who is telling me its like $40 for an 1/8 ounce? ***? $320 an ounce? Maybe whatever they're growing is stronger these days or something. Maybe its the economy, who knows.

Anyway, I would appreciate advice. Thanks all!

Hey welcome to the forum, this site has all you need to know about growing, if i were you man id get your medical marijuana lisence and grow 6 legally (depending on where you live) that way you wont have to worry about "cops" or other issues, and to answer your other question an 1/8 of good bud goes for about 60 and 1/8 for really good stuff and its a lot cheaper to grow it then buy it

good luck keep um green

hey spud welcome to mp. I can relate to your prob. I started growing because I got tired of the price going up and the bags getting smaller. If I buy an oz I expect it to weight an oz. not to mention the shady people you have deal with. All you can buy around here is some brick weed and it is $150 an oz but you get 3/4 oz. there will be some start up cost but in the long run well worth it. Good luck bro.

Hey MCM, thanks for that, I have been so long out of the loop... but an really intrigued by growing your own. I am not sure about this whole "ordering seeds my mail" but it sounds like at least you know exactly what you're getting that way. I'll keep reading and lurking...

Hey, BTW love your King Crimson avatar, that is a great album! :)

Motor City Madman said:
hey spud welcome to mp. I can relate to your prob. I started growing because I got tired of the price going up and the bags getting smaller. If I buy an oz I expect it to weight an oz. not to mention the shady people you have deal with. All you can buy around here is some brick weed and it is $150 an oz but you get 3/4 oz. there will be some start up cost but in the long run well worth it. Good luck bro.

Hey, BTW love your King Crimson avatar, that is a great album! :)

Thanks man your the first to mention it.

I have not bought any seeds on line but I plan to soon I have been looking at these two sites

http://www.seedboutique.com/store/

http://www.marijuana-seeds.nl/index.html

Keep reading and learn as much as you can to minimize mistakes. There are a lot people on here that can give you good advise. If you don't do well on your first grow don't be discouraged and quit. Good luck bro

I jus received seeds from www.marijuana-seeds.nl and they did a great job. Very discreet shipping and came right on time. Now keep in mind I havent started any yet.:)Waiting for the long season.:)But they look like good seeds.

boyHaole

Welcome spuddz, to MP forum. As MCM said, there is a certain amount of overhead, but after that your smoke should be free. If for example, you harvest only four ounces from your first grow, those four ounces would be worth approximately $1,400.00 at $350.00 an ounce. So, if you spend $1000.00 for the initial setup, you end up coming out $400.00 ahead.

This hobby can become quite expensive, though. Just the same it doesn't have to cost $1000.00 to start either. Just look around this site and learn about the different equipment to choose from and the cost etc.

There's the Resource link at the top of the page with links to some good information concerning growing, etc.

Yeah, give that grow a try. I believe the first time I grew I started for about $200.00.

$300 ...$350 an ounce whao lol

its only $180 - $200 here

But i would have to agree with Alistair, The inital cost will look a bit stupid..but you always come out ahead.

Northern Cali Club weed is the weed people strive to beat thats why the prices are so high

HydroManiac said:
Northern Cali Club weed is the weed people strive to beat thats why the prices are so high
I think effengee said it best.."Profiteers posing as compassionate providers"..or a very close quote...;)

Welcome to MP spud!.. but be fore warned. Once you've cultivated and indulged in your very own crop, there is no turning back. You're "hooked"..
In most cases, your first success will totally cover all start up costs. Everything after that is literally pennies on the dollar..:D

welcome aboard.it is very addicting,growing that is.i tto,as most all the people here,grow for their own personal use.i do not sell any of my product.i do give some to friends.the cost of getting started is a pittance compared to the money saved from buying it off the streets.not counting the chances you take,buying it.there are risks in growing also.if you live in a mmj friendly state,even better.i too am awaiting getting my medical card to grow my own.whatever your decision,welcome.

hey spudz... welcome... to this community.... that is something I can related with you and might as well maybe in same boat.. but for myself I buy and I grow lol. I do both.. just for right now.. but I can tell you one thing.. and 2.

check with your old friends.. see what they can do.. any friends that you can trust and you used to smoke with..
if you gonna grow.. see my hands in the pocket.... well I was not that careful when I grew crops.. If I was you... just keep to YOURSELF>... its more exicte to keep that to yourself than to show off to others trust me..

oltomnoddy said:
Like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for".
The Elves and Hobbits are willing to pay upwards of
450-500 per oz of GOOD hydro here in the "Shire".

Another reason to grow your own.:rolleyes:

oltomnoddy said:
The Elves and Hobbits are willing to pay upwards of
450-500 per oz of GOOD hydro here in the "Shire".

Why support the orcs and the wraiths when you can grow your own?

Thanks all for your thoughts and welcome, this is a great community. Just trying to decide on a good beginner strain that doesn't couchlock so much. Something more up. But its been so long since I smoked I probably wouldn't know the difference anyway lol. But I do remember some weed seems to make you more "energetic" and some just put me in almost a trance like state.Back then I had bo clue abt the whole indica/sativa thing.

First off, welcome....I'm new here too, nice site isn't it. Second, I would grow instead of buying. Less hassel, better buds and you know what your smoking because you grew it.

AzLaker
:cool:

hey bud,you will want to go with the sativas if you like the uppy buzz.i too prefer the sat. dom buzz.it seems i'm always growing the indica strains tho.but if you pick your harvest,going by the trichs,you can achieve that same type buzz from the indicas.just harvest sooner.

Latest posts

Back