Growing outdoors, 1st time, Lend a hand? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainMary

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im brand new to these forums. Looks like a good place.

To the point.

Im very focused on growing. Im in Eastern canada beside a large lake. I experience all seasons. I have a large wooded area which is quiet and rather abandoned where im hopefully planning to grow. But, Theres a bit of a problem.

I have no clue what im doing!

Which type should i grow?
How should i grow and in which seasons?

(Yes i've read the newbie guide, But i'd like to talk to the general community., And Ofcourse, All other information would be greatly appreciated.!)

Thank's fr reading.

I'm new to but I think I can help, Spring is ideal, when frost stops showing up in the morning, all though you can start late anytime around now. Don't worry about strains too much, especially your first grow, but if you want to just look some up online. make sure you find a spot that gets alot of sun, ( not too shady ) ad make sure no1 will notice it, almost anyone will rip one of those puppies out of the ground.

plants whatever you can get your hands on. Gets some bag seeds and germinate them first. Your in canada so you can probably go to one of the seed shops in like ontario or sumthing right? just pick something up. I believe there are strains that are for experianced growers, but there are only a few of em. try some white widow, anything im telling you.

But also check the soil where you plan on sticking them in the ground. if its a wooded area it may be very acidic.... what i would do is dig a hole about 3 feet down and lay plastic around it to keep other vegitations roots out of there. then use some potting soil. some fo the best stuff you can buy is foxfarm oceanforest organic soil. its expensive however. any soil would probably do, but try and stay away from miracle grow. unless your careful it could ruin your plants. Ohhh make sure you put holes in the bottom of that plastic so that it can drain when watered. you could also just stick em in a bucket out there to make it easier for you.

start your plants right now. im not sure exactly when you can start in your area, maybe someone else on here knows. I know that the daylight has to be more then 12 hours. you dont want there to be frost if you can avoid it.
usually you can start up around april/may.

good luck!

hey there mary! I won't ask which lake your by, but is it one of the great lakes? I've been over there (i'm from uk) and love it! Your light sched is very similar to ours in the uk, so you are fine to plant any plants out now I should think :) It depends on what strains, but some you can plant out very early as they are more hardy and pest resiliant.

You want to search on google and this and other forums and read as much as you can, and search through seed banks looking at strains and decide what takes your fancy. Some are very reasonably priced. Try looking for strains that are very pest and desease resiliant, I know afghan and easy sativa both are as i gre them my first time (but that was indoors). If you have shops you can always ask them. Its up to you. Just do as much reading as you can and you will learn as you go.

Good luck!

Im from brampton ontario i jus planted my first plants outside to close to a creek also i didnt get a chance to germinate them is there still a chance of growing i was just tryning it out ?

Hey tim, nice to see a fellow grower nearby! I'm probably about an hour away or so!
Your seeds could possibly germinate on their own. How far did you bury them? Any rain around your area in the past few days? The last couple of nights the temperatures were down to about 5 C here. Hopefully it wasn't that cold in your area. You should check on them in a few days or even unbury them and see if they have any roots yet.

the hole i dug wasnt to deep probly a couple inches and yea imma go check on em in a couple days i also have about 10 seeds germinating right now, it has been getn kinda cold here at night that is kinda worrying me but i think the temp will pick up this week hopefully lol

hello fellow growers.im a 1st time grower and just started growing im growing 2 seeds of super skunk and 2seeds of shiva shanti II.Im just germinate it and now there are little sprouts.can i veg with a 75 watt house light for about 3 weeks and put outside to flower cause right now were im from its still spring gonna hit summer in about 2week. SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO GROW BUDS??.AANY KIND OR ADIVE AND TIPS WILL DO.

Hello Super

A 75w house light will be no good, you would get more benifit sitting then in a sunny window for 3 weeks, if you see little sprouts it means the time is NOW to pot them, putting them outside will not make them flower until your longest day has passed, if your summer is a long duration you will end up with very tall plants, only after your longest sunlight day has passed will the plants go into flower, when they go into flower is when you find out the sex of a plant.

Welcome to the forum :)

thanks for the tips hippyinengland imma try putting my plants outside while is spring over ill keep an update and put some pics up

Latest posts

Back