Has anybody????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester1040

Livin The Dream
Reaction score
directional_page-3.gif
Anybody ever use these types of lights for indoor grows? I have access to these in hps and mercury vapor from 100 to 1000 watts. just wondered if they could be used since the were handy.... thanks in advance!!

You can use HPS not the mercury vapor.

The HPS is usable, however, if you used these, you would almost certainly want to separate the ballast and the socket and get a good hood to mount the bulb in. Also, keep in mind that bulbs lose their lumens over time. You would also most likely need new bulbs. If you are handy, this should be easy. I converted 2 150W HPS security lights to grow lights (and I'm a girl).

Hello jester 1040 , beware that girls can do anything . My wife and daughter do this quite often ! As for myself i would probably burn the house down and blow up the wifeys car . Metal halide is a yes indeed (vege) ...mercury vapor is a no sir . A long time ago i googled highbay ballast light conversion and a few options became available regarding directions on how to separate the ballast from the light . Or plan (B) send it over to THG or my wife and let the girls do their thang !

Those 'parking lot lights' will work, but they run VERY hot (no air cooling), they often are heavy as 2 big bags of rocks, and they tend to come prewired for 240 volt. They also tend to run real loud too, and they are "focused" to spread their light 20-foot to 100 feet away. If they have multi-tap ballasts in them (good luck) you could re-wire them for 110 volt.

They are best used in parking lots instead of grow rooms. Guess you could use them for parts though.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!! Ill see what I can come up with, sounds like It might be a fun project!

Latest posts

Back