Have a concern about new carbon filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peaceful

Reaction score
I received my Growbright 6" flange carbon can filter and have a concern. The filter is supposed to be a "packed bed" design but the carbon apparently packed its self during shipping. If you look into the flange (with flange facing up) you can see that the 2-3" of surface area closest to the flange has absolutely no carbon. You can see right through the filter here. My fix was to just duct tape over the top 4" so air cannot be pulled through here and bypass the carbon. After all, I bought this to eliminate smell and IMO it won't work if it is pulling air through where there is no carbon.

Is this normal? Acceptable? Should I contact HTG regarding this or just move on happily?

Yeah I would get a new one if I were you, but before you go out and spend a whack of cash check out the DIY section for the DIY Carbon filter I've been using mine for 10 months with no problems! Plus when I do have to change carbon its so easy with the store bought carbon filters you usually have to buy a hole new Carbon filter as you can't replace the carbon! So check it out, I built mine for 70$ and can change carbon anytime I want for 30$ its alot better than paying 300$ a year for a new store bought Carbon Filter!

Phatpharmer

Latest posts

Back