Hello, common traits with feminized?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unogrowdude

Reaction score
:) I've been growing for a while now. I see more and more where all you can aquire are feminized seeds of some of my favroite varities. What I've noticed is that some of the girls don't develop as strong as others,like the bucs aren't as tight, the plant sprawls out, just seems like they are not of the same genitics. And the seeds I get come in the breeders packs.

Welcome to the site. I can't really comment too much on feminized seeds because i have never grown them. I have read about a few people complaining that they turned hermie near the end of flowering.

I like my fems. I have 4 or 5 different fems lined up to run:D. Never had a fem hermie. Had a few shoot nanners out the last week but a lot of my reg strains do that:). Whos fems are you running?

I can't help but feel that the "complacency" to the hermies, is also contributing to the recent surge in hermie plants we see. i.e. "a lot of regulr strains do that"..
NOT well bred, quality genetics.."IMHO"..
there are a few strains, mostly sativas, and I "think" more the equatorial sats, that have that tendancy.(late nanners) But "IMHO"...well bred genetics will not hermie under normal, controlled cultivation conditions. If they produce pistils AND staminate flowers at any time, they ARE hermies..
IMHO.. and in the opinion of the concientious breeders for decades, the very breeders that have brought us to the most potent mj in recorded history, hermie genetics have "no place" in a breeding program... they have long been recognized as a detriment to cultivating the best quality mj.

Hick said:
I can't help but feel that the "complacency" to the hermies, is also contributing to the recent surge in hermie plants we see. i.e. "a lot of regulr strains do that"..
NOT well bred, quality genetics.."IMHO"..
there are a few strains, mostly sativas, and I "think" more the equatorial sats, that have that tendancy.(late nanners) But "IMHO"...well bred genetics will not hermie under normal, controlled cultivation conditions. If they produce pistils AND staminate flowers at any time, they ARE hermies..
IMHO.. and in the opinion of the concientious breeders for decades, the very breeders that have brought us to the most potent mj in recorded history, hermie genetics have "no place" in a breeding program... they have long been recognized as a detriment to cultivating the best quality mj.
Sorry you feel this way Hick but a LOT of breeders are making S1 and fem stock these days. I haven't noticed any drastic increase in hermies either. My last grow the only thing that shot out nanners was my Purp Wreck and it was only one nanner. Fems are the bomb...I highly recommend them:).

I've treid 2 different breeders. Doggie nuts(blueberry) andBig Budda (bluecheese). the doggie nuts I didn't like at all. The B.B. have been strong growers, yet a couple still don't fillout like the rest. My regular seeds always seem to be consistant.

the doggie nuts

This is one breeder that i think should never have been allowed to even sell one seed.

read this carefully.......

Big Bad John Auto Flower said:
This variety has been a long time coming and definitively confirms that the times they are a changing! As believe it or not this is deciduous herbaceous perennial strain!
For those of you that are not that horticulturally aware this means it has the ability to re-emerge after it has died.
Yes the seeds and not so commonly the plant can over winter and re-emerge come the spring, as in this little, or should we say big beauty will auto flower once it is established - if left to be it will set seeds, then these seeds will grow and then these plants will do the same thing so on and so forth ad infinitum!
For those of you that have still not seen the light, this means that it can grow wild and if left unchecked will colonise the areas where it is placed! in one season it can produce 3-4 generations of offspring and as each generation matures they will do the samething!
In plain English this variety can grow wild and colonise - if left will come back with a vengeance every season there after!
This strain has similar genetic characteristics as the Long John Silver (auto flowering) variety however is more productive both in yield and active ingredients compared to its more mellow younger brother.
Other seed banks have tried to buy the entire supply from us to stop these seeds hitting the market for fear of what this would do to the seed industry! But lol this is more important than mere money! - let these seeds go forth and prosper and re take what is rightfully theirs :)

Uhm..This is a hermie a plant left unchecked will seed and all other progeny will do same thing, Thats a hermie. No wonder other seed banks didn't want no part of it.

I have to agree with Hick MJ is going to hell in a handbasket.

bombbudpuffa said:
Never had a fem hermie. Had a few shoot nanners out the last week but a lot of my reg strains do that:).
With all due respect, BBP, that statement seems contradictive. I am under the impression that any staminate flowering on any "female" plant is a sign that that plant is a hermaphrodite, however mild or severe the staminate flowering may be.

This is a topic that many here have differing opinions.

Whether brought about by stress, usually "light poisoning" (to quote a recent post from a seasoned member here) in my experience, the tendency is there for any hermaphrodite plant to toss out one nanner or a thousand while it is in flower.

This brings up the "true YY" female subject. To my understanding, this girl doesn't have it in her to toss out a nanner, no matter what the stress. Unless she's introduced to a "hit of acid".:p

EDIT: BTW welcome to the site unogrowdude. You can see we like to discuss this very interesting plant. Good luck with your grows.

hee hee BBP, I can see we are 'both' treading lightly here..;) thank you :)
We've been parties to this discussion before ehh?.. and pretty much had to agree to disagree.
But potbelly has presented the point that sticks in my 'craw'. ANY plant that exhibits both stamine and pistills IS a hermie. Hermies can be judged on their "propensity" to throw out staminate flowers, but .. a hermie is still a hermie.. And .."IMHO".. ANY hermie that is used for breeding, essentially is breeding the hermie trait "into" or breeding "for" that quality.

I've grown Nirvana Fems a few times and they always seemed to be just fine..tight buds etc...

Welcome to MP :)

This is kind of the point I was making is that breeders seem to be moving more towards developing Femm's rather than regular seeds. For me I'd prefere regular, my ratio of female to male is around 70%.I believe regular seeds are just stronger developing when they are all grown in the same inviroment.

A few nanners at the end of the plants life is not a hermie imo.

Excerpt from Rodelization by Soma
They are a built-in safety factor so that in case of severe conditions, the plant can make sure the species is furthered.
hxxp://hightimes.com/grow/soma/622

Soma goes so far as to use these late nanners to make fem seeds and claims they are %100 female. All i'm trying to get to is that people making fems isn't the end of growing as we know it. I mean, don't most of us grow weed to smoke it? I know I don't grow weed and think..."Dang, these are some clean, untouched genes". Fems, autos, regular...it's all good as long as I get fat buds in the end. A few nanners late in flower? Happens all the time...if you let them go long enough.

"light poisoning"
Is only the first step imo. When you light poison you're looking for "true" females or females that don't herm. Supposedly, the plants that don't herm are "true" females and can be stressed with STS to make fems. I'm no breeder here fellas. I can't get pass "pollen chucker" status:D. Just ime, fems are no more likely to herm than any regular plant. Some highly sought after strains herm like Thai(one of my wish strains). Herms are part of growing like males and females.

That's a good sport. I can remember several heated discussions in the past on this hermie thing.

It seems to be perspective: A hermie plant "loosely thrown around" is a plant that tosses out as many staminate flowers as pistils. Obviously useless to any conneseur who wants seedless smoke. On the other hand, a plant tossing out a few towards the end is "not a hermie" since the bud is not adversely affected.

I just like to call a spade a spade. Gray areas are always harder to define. Thanks guys. PB:)

Yeah, I understand why people shy away from fems. I just think most plants will shoot out a few nanners if you let them go long enough but that doesn't mean most plants are herms. I wasn't trying to argue with you fellas:). Heck, i'm as stupid as they get:D. It would be pointless:p .

Latest posts

Back