Help deciding a strain for my indoor grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Ganja

Learning to Cultivate
Reaction score
Hey whats good MP been a while since i posted! but I'm back at it. This time i am trying out the ebb n flow/hydro grow that i seen MR. Green do on the youtube "i grow chronic" documentary. I have seperate spaces that im currently constructing for the veg/flowering stages. I have been on Nirvana for two days trying to decide on which strain to grow, i am a novice at best and this would be my first "real" grow after a few failed attempts. I was leaning toward Ak and blue mystic. Want plants that are pretty low maintenance and could provide a good yield. Any insight is appreciated thanx:icon_smile:

White Rhino is plenty potent, divining out the right pheno that is....

Snow White was like a tranquilizer for me.

Master Kush is supposed to be decent according to The Hemp Goddess...

7greeneyes said:
White Rhino is plenty potent, divining out the right pheno that is....

Snow White was like a tranquilizer for me.

Master Kush is supposed to be decent according to The Hemp Goddess...

pheno? i did like the reviews i read on white rhino. i smoked master kush recently it seemed mid idk. what about the mixed bag of seed think id run into any problems from there?

phillybuds said:
Hey whats good MP been a while since i posted! but I'm back at it. This time i am trying out the ebb n flow/hydro grow that i seen MR. Green do on the youtube "i grow chronic" documentary. I have seperate spaces that im currently constructing for the veg/flowering stages. I have been on Nirvana for two days trying to decide on which strain to grow, i am a novice at best and this would be my first "real" grow after a few failed attempts. I was leaning toward Ak and blue mystic. Want plants that are pretty low maintenance and could provide a good yield. Any insight is appreciated thanx:icon_smile:

of 40 or so high thc strains i have grown, my best was "confidential cheese".
am very excited to see how the "satoris" finish. started (7) unsexed. now 7 weeks, looking very nice. justed flipped to 12/12 on 8-20-13. good luck!:)

LOL--my Master Kush is never mids. However, they are not small plants. They tend to grow larger and lankier--a little more like a Sativa than like an Indica. I personally am not into the white strains. I find most of them harsh.

I have never grown AK, but I hear that it is quite a smelly plant. What is your ventilation setup?

IMO, there are NO marijuana strains that are low maintenance, especially if growing ebb n flow. They all take almost daily care. You will get out of this project what you put into it. If you are doing hydro, it is going to be harder and more labor intensive than soil. You are going to need a pH meter (don't get strips) and a TDS meter, and pH up and down and calibration fluids for both. If you are going to do an ebb and flow with 1 res, you might want to consider only running 1 strain as you will not be able to individualize nutes for different strains or raise and lower the buckets for different sized plants. I believe that the bag of mixed seeds is a bad decision for a new grower doing an ebb and flow. I would pick 1 strain and run that for the first grow. I believe that there is going to be way more to this than you think. It is not as easy as the green guy makes it out to be. Read up on hydro and do some more studying on the needs of the plants.

The Hemp Goddess said:
LOL--my Master Kush is never mids. However, they are not small plants. They tend to grow larger and lankier--a little more like a Sativa than like an Indica. I personally am not into the white strains. I find most of them harsh.

I have never grown AK, but I hear that it is quite a smelly plant. What is your ventilation setup?

IMO, there are NO marijuana strains that are low maintenance, especially if growing ebb n flow. They all take almost daily care. You will get out of this project what you put into it. If you are doing hydro, it is going to be harder and more labor intensive than soil. You are going to need a pH meter (don't get strips) and a TDS meter, and pH up and down and calibration fluids for both. If you are going to do an ebb and flow with 1 res, you might want to consider only running 1 strain as you will not be able to individualize nutes for different strains or raise and lower the buckets for different sized plants. I believe that the bag of mixed seeds is a bad decision for a new grower doing an ebb and flow. I would pick 1 strain and run that for the first grow. I believe that there is going to be way more to this than you think. It is not as easy as the green guy makes it out to be. Read up on hydro and do some more studying on the needs of the plants.

Hello hemp goddess! im glad you posted here i was actually reading some of your posts looking for answers lol! I got the answer to some of my questions from posts you did years back and i decided against getting that mixed bag. i figure some of the plants could have longer flowering periods,need diff nutes etc so i ordered white widow for the ebb n flow setup. i also ordered bubbleliscious auto (both fem packs) as i am reading up on auto grows. Yea green guy makes it look way easy lol! my setup i am taking measurements now my ventilation system would consist of small oscillating fans and squirrel cage fans hooked to dryer line that leads to the outside. i will be taking pics of my space today as i want to start to put together my grow journal

There are a lot of growers who grow some autos along with some photoperiods. The autos should be about ready to smoke when the others go into flowering. White Widow is a good old school strain. My ex and I grew it many many moons ago.

What size are you making your spaces? What are you using for lights? Looking forward to seeing the pics of your spaces.

The Hemp Goddess said:
There are a lot of growers who grow some autos along with some photoperiods. The autos should be about ready to smoke when the others go into flowering. White Widow is a good old school strain. My ex and I grew it many many moons ago.

What size are you making your spaces? What are you using for lights? Looking forward to seeing the pics of your spaces.

my basement has some unused closets that are next to each other i was thinking of having the veg set up in the basement and then using those closets one for flowering and the other for my autos. space isnt really an issue ventilation i have to work on. and also deciding where exactly to put the veg grow.flowering and my autos i have a nice space. Lights i met a guy off craigslist tats giving me i t5?and a 430 watt flowering light(I'm still learning the light lingo lol) hes basically selling me the hydro set up from the mr green documentary.

I was thinking for my autos that i could use manual watering i didnt want to do any hydro setups with that. Ive read in sooo many posts "youll need 2-3 grows before you get your system dialed in" so my autos will give me bud while I'm learning my way through the hydro/ebb n flow setup with the white widow. Im also trying to look into the SOG method. Will be getting those pics and measurements soon!:cool:

IMO if your looking for a strain i would look into hybred strains 5 - 6 week flowering times saves you in the long run

DrFever said:
IMO if your looking for a strain i would look into hybred strains 5 - 6 week flowering times saves you in the long run

auto? which strains do you suggest?

DrFever said:

In many many moons of growing, I have never seen a strain that finished in 5-6 weeks. Could you let us in on the strains that flower that fast?

phillybuds said:
my basement has some unused closets that are next to each other i was thinking of having the veg set up in the basement and then using those closets one for flowering and the other for my autos. space isnt really an issue ventilation i have to work on. and also deciding where exactly to put the veg grow.flowering and my autos i have a nice space. Lights i met a guy off craigslist tats giving me i t5?and a 430 watt flowering light(I'm still learning the light lingo lol) hes basically selling me the hydro set up from the mr green documentary.

I was thinking for my autos that i could use manual watering i didnt want to do any hydro setups with that. Ive read in sooo many posts "youll need 2-3 grows before you get your system dialed in" so my autos will give me bud while I'm learning my way through the hydro/ebb n flow setup with the white widow. Im also trying to look into the SOG method. Will be getting those pics and measurements soon!:cool:

You are not going to need a huge amount of space. Your spaces will need to be made the correct size to accommodate the lights you have. You want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. A 4' 4 tube that puts out 20,000 lumens is good for about 7 sq ft. I have mine in 8 sq ft and it does fine. A 400W HPS is good for about 9-10 sq ft. So you are looking at something like 2.5 x 3 for vegging and 3 x 3 for flowering. How large is the ebb and flow set-up? You do not want to push your lights beyond what they will adequately light.

Before you set your ventilation up or buy fans, run it by the people here. There are a lot of fans out there that they say will do the job, but don't. For example, a duct booster fan will not do your flowering room. Your ventilation is almost as important as your lighting.

Be very very careful buying growing supplies off someplace like CL if you are not legal.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You are not going to need a huge amount of space. Your spaces will need to be made the correct size to accommodate the lights you have. You want a minimum of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. A 4' 4 tube that puts out 20,000 lumens is good for about 7 sq ft. I have mine in 8 sq ft and it does fine. A 400W HPS is good for about 9-10 sq ft. So you are looking at something like 2.5 x 3 for vegging and 3 x 3 for flowering. How large is the ebb and flow set-up? You do not want to push your lights beyond what they will adequately light.

Before you set your ventilation up or buy fans, run it by the people here. There are a lot of fans out there that they say will do the job, but don't. For example, a duct booster fan will not do your flowering room. Your ventilation is almost as important as your lighting.

Be very very careful buying growing supplies off someplace like CL if you are not legal.

thanx alot yes i have met with the guy off craigslist sunday to go over the setup he showed me the lights fans etc what i will be buying. i went and took pics of the grow spaces last night and will post them soon as i get back from the gym, i also took a pic of where i planned to run my ventilation. seems like i have good enough space to do what it is i want to do. i will have alot more accurate info tomorrow once i purchase the lights and stuff. before i do any hacking to the space for ventilation i will run ideas by you guys first, thanx!

Be careful, bud. Meeting Craigslisters always feels sketchy to me....Idk why but it does... :rolleyes:

I guess if it's some place public...

here is the link to what id be getting for my money from the craigslister, i have met the guy hes a grad student at a local university, looks like bill nye the science guy lol

hxxp://philadelphia.craigslist.org/grd/3998161021.html

and here is the space i will be setting up in, im actually having second thought about hydro and ebb n flow setup now because i did get intimidated by the intricacy of this type of grow (ph up n down, nute mix etc) but idk

The Hemp Goddess said:
In many many moons of growing, I have never seen a strain that finished in 5-6 weeks. Could you let us in on the strains that flower that fast?

Amsterdam Gold
Amsterdam Gold is an Indica variety developed in California in the seventies and has been grown outdoors in Holland since 1980. Smokes soft with a citrus like aroma and has a good high. Easy to grow, grows with long compact resinous buds. One of the best green outdoor varieties collection. Specifications: ~ Flower: 6 weeks

B-52
A truly superior skunk selection. Grows with heavy buds. Top variety for commercial skunk grower. As with other Skunks, superior sweet taste and aroma, the well known Sativa influence is detected in its high. Super fast for a skunky strain. Specifications: ~ Flower: 7 weeks

Bubblegum
h An excellent green variety. Not much known about this strain but the breeder did mention Bubblegum. Good results indoors and out. Specifications: (indoors) ~ Flower: 55-60 days ~ Height: 5-6' ~ Yield: Above Average (outdoors) ~ Plant: Jun. 1st ~ Finish: Sept. 15th ~ Height: 6' ~ Yield: Above Average

Black Jack
Black Domina crossed with Jack Herrer. Produced by two of the most potent and premium strains and created a plant unlike any other. A super potent Indica this plant will be very resinous and sticky. This strain will more than satisfy the pickiest of connoisseurs. The name should say it all for the potency of Black Jack. Specifications: (indoors) ~ Flower: 55-60 days ~ Height: 130-150cm ~ Yield: 90-125 gr/sqM

Blue Velvet
Blue Velvet was developed from genetics unique to Europe. Not only Blue Velvet, but also Blueberry and Flo are developed from these new genetics. These varieties are of the highest thinkable quality. An Indica/Sativa cross (50%,50%) with trademark "fox tail" buds. The leaves and buds exhibit several hues including reds and lavenders, usually on the underside of the leaves. The buds have very large calyxes often with long dark stripes showing. The mature plant produces a fruity and floral mix of aroma and taste that is very sweet. This produces a very active "cerebral high". Specifications: ~ Flower: 6-7 weeks.

Blueberry
Blueberry is a mostly Indica (80% Indica, 20% Sativa) strain, that dates to the late 1970's. A large producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple and finally blue hues that usually cure to a lavender blue. The finished product has a very fruity aroma and taste of blueberry. It produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric high of the highest quality and is very long lasting. Medium to large calyxes. " Blueberry" has a long shelf life and stores well over a long period of time. Specifications: ~ Flowering: 45-55 days ~ Height: 70-100 cm

Northern Lights #1
Developed in Seattle, perfected in Holland, Northern Lights has become the "State of the Art" indoor plant. A must! Specifications: ~ Flower: 45-50 days ~ Height: 100-125 cm ~ Yield: 300-325 gr/sqM

Northern Lights #5
This state of the art Indica is the result of over 20 years of select inbreeding. Bred for vigorous growth, high yield, and superb high. A must for growers who prefer short bushy plants. The buds have an extremely frosted, resinous appearance and the yield is high. Specifications: ~ Flower: 55-65 days ~ Height: 2-3'
Northern Lights #5 X Haze
An extremely potent plant with a great Sativa high. In the 1994 harvest festival this variety was miles ahead of its competitors. The high yields compensate for the slightly longer flowering period. Hybrid vigor provides for lush growth, heavy bud formation and abundant resin. A true champion!

Pure power plant is another Chopped from day 36 - 43 with good potent buds

Yup there are allot actually

C-99
Green Crack 45 days
AK 48
Grape punch

I can only go on experience here.. but it's been my experience that whatever harvest times a breeder claims, I need to add 10-14 days minimal, to the estimation.
From this list I've grown bubblegum, Northern lights 1, and C99 and NONE of them were ready at the 5-6 week mark. I suppose I *cud* have harvested them then.. But that woulda seemed silly.. IMHO :)

Latest posts

Back