Help! They're wilting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenthumberish

Mexican...or Mexicant!
Reaction score
Here's the details:
medium:Happy Frog soil, 8 gallon tote
neutrients: botanicare probloom 1.5-4-5
age: 5th week of flowering (pistils first showed on this plant about jan 21'stish)
i water with neutral (adjusted) tap water PH generally around 6.8 to 7.0
lights: 6 weeks veg under flourescent lights, and almost the whole time flowering under flouros' and CFL's until I got a 1000 watt HPS that the plants have been under for 3 days now. The lightbulb from the HPS was around 2' away from the tops of the canopy. I have since moved it even farther away to around 3 feet (maybe couple inches more) and took the picture. My guess is that it got cooked....although I can see on some of the leaves signs of PH imbalances. I will be applying dolomite lime tomorrow after I can get to the hardware store, after checking the run-off PH. Is there anything else that would cause the leaves to curl up like that? Any suggestions would be awesome! thanks

IMG_0370.jpg

What is your room temp? since adding the 1k light?

Bobble thermometor clock that I've got in there says 79 around canopy level

greenthumberish said:
Bobble thermometor clock that I've got in there says 79 around canopy level

Yea it doesnt look like heat stress, check that PH ph 7.0 is too high.

I believe you have several problems going at once.

1. Moving from Flo's and CFL's to a 1K HPS is radical for a couple of reasons. First, the Flo's and CFL's have almost no IR. The HPS has plenty, (comparatively). The IR will cause several things in turn. Stress to the plant, resulting in a nutrient imbalance. The IR will cause wilting.

2. Your ph is too high. This will also result in an improper nute take-up that will stress the plant and cause it to wilt as it is.

3. The radical difference in the amount of lumens will cause the plant to stress. Plants need to be acclimated to any changes that radical by a slow, step by step increase over time.

Now here's the bad news; you may have caused the plants enough stress to create hermies. There is no way to tell until the plants fully flower. Because they are in flowering, they are more susceptible to stress related hermaphroditism then at any other time.

The cure? Back your HPS to about 36 inches from canopy level and put your Flo's and CFL's back on them. Hope for the best and consider it a lesson in growing.

Good luck man. I hope your plants recover without becoming hermies.

You'll want to back off on the nutes to half what you've given them until they recover from all that stress.

Let us all know how they do.

I can say its not your light being to close, because I get my 1000w 6-8 inches from Canopy! I would have to say like the others that it looks like PH problem or maybe a root issue as well.

Phatpharmer:hubba:

phatpharmer said:
I can say its not your light being to close, because I get my 1000w 6-8 inches from Canopy!
Had he been using the HPS or a Halide the entire time, that could be correct. However he said he switched from Flo's and CFL's to a 1000 watt HPS with no acclimating. That will always cause problems exactly like what he's getting.

If you've no scorch marks on your leaves the plants will be ok but keep the light at 3 feet for the moment.

That doesnt look like wilting but leaf curl from possible overwatering/nuting.

You say you are in an 8 gallon tote which is a pot of some sort I take it?

Well thats a very large pot for a plant vegged on fluoro for 6 weeks and did you pot up in stages and do you operate a proper wet and dry cycle by watering once thoroughly and not rewatering till approx 80% of that previously given has been used up by the plant?

Also,how much have you been feeding?

When the plant is hungry or as per manufacturers instructions?

What was your runoff ph?

What were the signs of 'ph imbalances'?

Sorry for all the questions but its impossible to make a diagnosis without more info.

Rockster said:
If you've no scorch marks on your leaves the plants will be ok but keep the light at 3 feet for the moment.

That doesnt look like wilting but leaf curl from possible overwatering/nuting.

You say you are in an 8 gallon tote which is a pot of some sort I take it?

Well thats a very large pot for a plant vegged on fluoro for 6 weeks and did you pot up in stages and do you operate a proper wet and dry cycle by watering once thoroughly and not rewatering till approx 80% of that previously given has been used up by the plant?

Also,how much have you been feeding?

When the plant is hungry or as per manufacturers instructions?

What was your runoff ph?

What were the signs of 'ph imbalances'?

Sorry for all the questions but its impossible to make a diagnosis without more info.

I generally don't feed the plants until they are hungry, 4th week of life or so. I feed 30ml liquid per gallon of water.....roughly what, 2 tablespoons? I actually use a measuring cup from childrens tylenol ;)
The signs of PH imbalance that I saw, which are sparce if any evidence at all, would be the discoloration of the leaves, on another branch off that same plant, and deformed leaf growth. (curling like a snail shell) I thought of the ph imbalance first, so i actually spread dolomite lime out, watered with 6.0 water and checked my runoff, which was around 6.5 - fine for me...and the plant. I never disturbed the plants roots, so it's been in that one 8 gallon pot since it sprouted. This plant is roughly 3.5 wide 4' long (end to end) and 3.5'ish tall....and only a couple of the colas are showing evidence of the wiltingness. Once they were into flowering i fed it once every other watering. I hung a thermometor around canopy level (maybe 6 inches closer than the tops of the plants) and it was 91F - wayyy too hot....so I pushed the plants back and raised the lights some...And have opened the area to keep the ventilation good while the lights are on. There are actually scorch marks on the backs of the leaves in a couple places, so I've worked to remedy all of my problems already ;) So far the plants seem to be recuperating...as a few of the drooping leaves have righted themselves. It's just the ones that curled all the way up are looking crappy....however the new growth from the top of the cola is nicely green and perky....so maybe I'll wait and watch. oh and FYI i've never over watered any plant of any type ;) yes I used proper watering techniques.

Latest posts

Back