Hightimes article on LED Lighting & Cannabis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeAFool2

Reaction score
When I first saw prototypes of LED grow lights a couple of years ago in Canada, the technology was not quite ready, but it was clearly inevitable. Now it is here. Do a Google search on it and you will find a wide choice from several sources for growing tomatoes. Mmmm, tomatoes!

LED technology eliminates two of the greatest security problems faced by contraband growers, high electric bills and heat control. LEDs use almost 90% less electricity, so the police will no longer be able to use high electric bills to find growers. Similarly, the absence of heat means that the police will no longer be able to use heat-seeking technology to get warrants.

The price of LEDs is still relatively high in comparison to conventional lights, but their long life and low operating costs already justify the expense, and costs are certain to fall, as is the case with other electronics. It also makes growing safer and easier, by eliminating the need for special wiring and cooling equipment. In some areas, it will make year-round growing feasible.

In a year or so, the mainstream media will discover LEDs, and – after their usual hyperventilating – they will see that cannabis prohibition is over. Modern technology is liberating. Let there be light!

Richard Cowan is the former National Director of NORML and currently the publisher of MarijuanaNews.com. Email him at [email protected]

Hey Mass,

I just stopped trying to get it across to people. I figured if they are hellbent on leds, let 'em grow a few crops with the leds. See where they are when they are done. No point in trying to tell somebody something, when they don't want to hear what you're sayin':D

Everyone needs to find things out on their own once in awhile... Even if it doesn't turn out as expected. Its called experience, and I'm going to get some before I really comment on LED's and if they are for me or not...

I closed it, only to prevent the rejuvination of the same arguments already in process in "the other" threadS.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back