How can I rehydrate some very dry buds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Just curious if there is any good rehydration techniques that work well without messing up the processed buds. I had about an extra pound a friend gave me from a harvest of his, but it has since dried out, and has become pretty brittle. Its nice dank, with huge buds, just falls apart easily. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

i've heard of people usin orange peelings by just puttin them into the jar with the dry mj and burpin it like you normally would during curin. i've never tried it but im sure if you wait others will come and offer more advise.. good luck and congrats on the free smoke.

ive used orange peels and even grapefruit peelings.both work good,i always keep an eye out for mold and excessive moisture.i had some buds stored with peelings b-4 and when i went to go smoke them,they were too moist to even smoke.i had to let them sit out for a couple hours to dry out a little.i like the smell of the graepfruit peelings a lil more than the orange peels though so i use them more often than the orange peels.

I've used orange peels before, bread too. Like AID^ said, watch out for the mold. You probably want to take out what you need for right now and put the peel in the jar with it (just about a square inch per quarter oz). Take it out after a few hours, then repeat as necessary. I don't know about the bread, I've only used it when it was drying out on me, never when it was already dry.

orange peels for like a day burp it a little then take em out, and burp your container like normal, and repeat if you need too, whenever, turns mids into dank.;)

I would like to no if this really works. Any other people know of any tricks?

slowmo77 said:
i've heard of people usin orange peelings by just puttin them into the jar with the dry mj and burpin it like you normally would during curin. i've never tried it but im sure if you wait others will come and offer more advise.. good luck and congrats on the free smoke.

TRUE DAT... i done same thing for years now and works excellent just dont go throwin in like whole orange worth peels in say like an eith ounce bag or somethin like that or it'll get pretty damp and crappy smoke.
i also tried a couple tiny pieces of kiwi fruit and one tiny piece of strawberry and it was quite interestin it did up some extra flavour to it too. but wit that type fruit i'd wrap the cuts in paper towel to soak up the loose moisture on it so ya dont water log ya bud lol.

Dub_j said:
orange peels for like a day burp it a little then take em out, and burp your container like normal, and repeat if you need too, whenever, turns mids into dank.;)

i dont think it makes the weed any better potency wise but it does giveit that danky citrus smell to it a bit. but definately be able to tell it was oranges in there wit it tho. from experience on this

i know when i've gotten some bags of dry i mean really dry stuff it would crumble almost to a powder if pressed squished bumped etc so carryin it wit u if goin some where was impossible not to end up wit somethin that look like it jus come out a coffee grinder for few seconds i prefer my smoke to be a lil more visually appealing than that myself jus my opinion...

totally agree zip,also,when weed is all dry like that,it smokes up so darn quick.i dont like my weed super moist,but i also dont like it bone dry,i prefer more of a sticky texture =)

Type_S150 said:
Just curious if there is any good re-hydration techniques that work well without messing up the processed buds. I had about an extra pound a friend gave me from a harvest of his, but it has since dried out, and has become pretty brittle. Its nice dank, with huge buds, just falls apart easily. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Simple fix.

When you dry or cure weed, you're causing it to lose water from it's plant matter at a certain rate, depending on the method used.

When it gets too dry, all you have to do is replace some of the water.

You don't need fruit or peels that give it flavor and have other substances in it that may cause their own problems such as mold.

Just plain, pure, unadulterated WATER.

Fill a GALLON baggie with enough weed to LOOSELY fill it half way.

Take a paper towel and wet it with clean, fresh water. Then squeeze it as dry as you can. This should leave it slightly moist.

Open the paper towel back up and put it into your gallon bag of weed and close the bag. Put it in a nice cool, dark place for 24 hours.

24 hours later, take the bag out, open it, remove the paper towel and see if your weed is now at a moisture level that you like.

If it's still too dry, do the same thing for another 24 hours.

You should always open your bag and let it air for an hour each week. This will keep mold from happening. The weed should be loose, not packed into the baggie so that air can circulate around the weed.

Re-hydration is simple. Don't make a federal case out of it. It's not rocket science. You're simply replacing some water into the weed and letting it balance throughout the entire baggie of weed, slowly through the moist air.

Peace and good luck.

I just throw some green wet bud in with the really dry stuff. It works great.

I am not really crazy about putting stuff into my bud that is not bud--like orange peel or bread.

After it is rehydrated, put it into an airtight jar and keep in a cool dark place.

POTUS said:
He's talking about a pound of weed.

Instead of peeling an orange, simply putting a moist paper towel in a baggie is more work?

i was talkin takin just a small peice of peel i usually tear a tiny peice an throw in bag and i even get a tasty treat afterward. the orange but oh well horse a peice then....MO but yeah i see bein wit more such as a QP or better a paper towel workin better that way.

i usually take a lemon cut a little peice of the peel off and stick it in the bag of weed and put it in the freezer for 10 minutes. and it will fluff it up a lil bit and it wont be as dry

all of these methods will work.like potus said,its not rocket science.if you dont mind the smell of orange,grapefruit or lemons..use them.if your a lil pickey and dont like the smell of them,do as potus said and just use a moist papertowel.theres no right or wrong way of doing this.kinda like growing..we all have our own teqs.

true but if you are selling it to someone you can say its exotic and get a few bucks. some blueberry tree or some citrus haha. i smoke it too, you cant tell. theres a FAINT smell and i cant taste it. but it makes the bud look nicer smell a lil fresher.

Latest posts

Back