How to control water to OG plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anglerguy78

Reaction score
Howdy growers. Here's my situation and a question for you. I have two 18" babies going in 3-5 gal-sized holes in ground filled with fox farm ocean that I can water as needed. The surrounding soil is very sandy and seems to retain moisture pretty well.

My question is this, given the really rainy spring and early summer in southern new England (excluding current heat wave), if I can keep excess rain off my root systems and totally control watering, should I?

I could definitely cover root area and surrounding couple of feet with plastic and remove as needed to water with my well water (pH about 6.5). On the other hand, there's nothing like watching babies grow with Ma' natures water (hope it's not too acid rain anymore).

Thanks for your input. Your advice on all ranges of subject matter has been very helpful.

Sandy soil usually doesn't retain water well. The fox farm does. I water my outside girls over a gallon each watering, i don' think most rain water will get that deep. If you find that it is getting too much rain, you might want to put up a tent. Check out 4U grow journals. He has a cover when the rains start in seattle. It is 4u2sm0ke....Good luck to you.

anglerguy78 said:
Howdy growers. Here's my situation and a question for you. I have two 18" babies going in 3-5 gal-sized holes in ground filled with fox farm ocean that I can water as needed. The surrounding soil is very sandy and seems to retain moisture pretty well.

My question is this, given the really rainy spring and early summer in southern new England (excluding current heat wave), if I can keep excess rain off my root systems and totally control watering, should I?

WHY?? i'm from ma. and my outdoor plants roots, love rain and this saves me from many unneeded waterings. smoke has a great rain protection system.(rerod w/ pvc, 1 in. piping) ang plastic snap clips for holding poly roof. THIS is for RAINY season, to protect branches breaking and bud rot. fall season ONLY.
imo you are just making more work. i like holes about 18 in dia. by 20-22 in. deep. when i rototilled the area last year, i pulled up roots(at season end) over 10 feet away from plant stock. keep it simple. good luck! :)

Thanks newbie. I've been made a believer in natural rain for water with good quality well water to supplement when needed. If the plants are fortunate enough to go female, I may want to control water to roots at that time.

why are you placing them in buckets..in the ground?...I plant straight in the ground and I live on sandy ground...IMO..its the best as the water drains fast...and if ya want make cover to keep rains off..use pvc pipe and rebar...Heres last summers thread...hope this helps...give a shout if anything is confusing

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61054

Rose...thanks for the Nod
:48:

4u2sm0ke said:
why are you placing them in buckets..in the ground?...I plant straight in the ground and I live on sandy ground...IMO..its the best as the water drains fast...and if ya want make cover to keep rains off..use pvc pipe and rebar...Heres last summers thread...hope this helps...give a shout if anything is confusing

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61054

Rose...thanks for the Nod

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

Sorry to mislead you with the 3-5 gal size reference. This was the size of hole, not the size of the pot. Plants are in ffof directly in the ground with sandy soil surrounding the ffof plantings. Things are growing very well with 2nd topping about 2 days away. Wondering if I should FIM this time rather than full top. The plants are in full sun about 6 hrs and indirect light the rest of the time. I included the best grower so far, about 24" with good side growths from first topping. Any thoughts?

IMG_4743.cr (799x1200).jpg

Latest posts

Back