I have an idea on how to make it.....but I am abit lost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought to myself that there has to be a way to create an optimal --- yet very efficient way to have DIY light mover that would allow the grower to vertically hang the lights......

I thought along the lines of a carousel of sorts, something like they would have for babies' cribs.....that way it would gently turn all the lights at once....

I originally thought of using old bike rims or car wheel wells, connected by pulleys....I don't have a clue how to weld, or soilder.....I am more than willing to expieriment:hubba:

My idea is this....let's say you have 2 600 watters (hps/mh), I figure those two lights would weigh about 30 lbs (give or take)......I could make a circle outta steel, and take the ye olde blacksmiths' approach for shaping it into the said circle.....I could go on and on but I don't want y'all to fall asleep lol

A lil' guidance is necessary here lol,

Thanks guys,

BW

smoky anda bandit said:
Your high arent you?

nope.....gone insane:headbang2: :headbang: hahaha.....

got alot of work ahead of me here....just needed advice before I dove in headfirst....

BW

Buddy_Williams said:
I thought to myself that there has to be a way to create an optimal --- yet very efficient way to have DIY light mover that would allow the grower to vertically hang the lights......

I thought along the lines of a carousel of sorts, something like they would have for babies' cribs.....that way it would gently turn all the lights at once....

I originally thought of using old bike rims or car wheel wells, connected by pulleys....I don't have a clue how to weld, or soilder.....I am more than willing to expieriment:hubba:

My idea is this....let's say you have 2 600 watters (hps/mh), I figure those two lights would weigh about 30 lbs (give or take)......I could make a circle outta steel, and take the ye olde blacksmiths' approach for shaping it into the said circle.....I could go on and on but I don't want y'all to fall asleep lol

A lil' guidance is necessary here lol,

Thanks guys,

BW

Unfortunately, no, there doesn't have to be a way to do this. The easiest part of this equation is the device that holds the lights. The hard part of this equation is a motor geared slow enough that is reversible. I have done extensive searches online for a DIY light mover. I never found an idea that I thought was really workable. I have a store-bought one.

If its going to spin how are you going to stop the cords from twisting?

Tater said:
If its going to spin how are you going to stop the cords from twisting?

see....the lights aren't supposed to "spin"....they're supposed to make a near-full rotation around the plants. I am trying to mimic the sun, I realise that there is more to be considered before I attempt it. The idea was something that I thought would work, allowing 360 degree coverage of two lights.

Keeping in mind, I don't intend to use the lighting system on more then 6 plants (lst)....

The cords, well I am not that concerned about it.....simply because....well here, I'll try to do a quick diagram.

---------
l / l
l X l
l / l
l l
--------

.....on sencond thought, forget the diagram. The height of the plants aren't going to be bigger then 2 and a half to 3 ft tall.

I was thinking that I could simply place the ballast on the floor....buuuut.....I'd probably be better off sitting them in their own housing....

at any rate, if you guys have any more thoughts/input...go right ahead, I am all ears....

BW

canibanol cannonball said:
sounds dangerous, moving lights, extra cords? I cant figure how you can get away with spinning the wire
there is no safe DIY way to rig a cord spinner to handle the current used by an HID light...you WILL burn something...

Are you sure about vertically ?

A DIY light mover horizontally, you could pick up an old garage door opener and see what you could do with it.

Personally I'm thinking about an automatic water system for the plants, have a sensor in the plants, when it gets dry, water for a certain amount of time, wait an hour or so and check again, if still dry repeat.

I was watering for a set time so the water would have time to soak into the soil before measuring again. Then the plants would have the correct amount of water during the whole grow, how slick would that be ?

I've been kicking that idea around in my head trying to decide how to give the plants a certain amount of water each time. I was thinking about valves and stuff but they presented a certain amount of problems, but I finally came up with the solution, a model airplane fuel pump, this way I could just power it for a certain number of seconds and it would deliver the same amount of water each time. Now I just need to build it.

What do you think ?

Latest posts

Back