I need to know some serious facts about weed and pregnancy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommy2be

Reaction score
:confused: I used to be a serious smoker, before i got pregnant. I quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant, and i have been fight the cravings ever since. I am constantly serounded by it and i desperatly miss it. I love my baby and i wont do anything that will harm him but at the same time my selfish habbits kick into play and i have a hard time dealing with it. My entire family smokes weed and i have seen them do it around babies and kids and i will not be that kind of person, but when i have a baby sitter for the night or the weekend i want to be able to party. I have made my boyfriend quit as well because if it was in the house i know for sure i wouldnt be able to control myself, also i feel like its kind of a slap in the face. I mean it takes two to get pregnant and y should i have to be the only one to make sacrifices. I plan on breast feeding when the baby is born and i need to know from "real" people, not doctors (because we all know what they say, and i'm sure to an extent their right but they will always say no) how long will the thc stay in my breast milk? I mean just from the ocational high like maybe once or twice a month. Can any one help me out. Because i have ways of getting around it. I can freeze a more than generous amount in the freeze until my system cleans out, but if it will stay in my system for a month or even longer than i need to know that i cant do it. I have to be able to be clean for emergencys. If i make any sense at all (because i am in that stage of pregnancy where i start to loose my mind for a short period) will someone help me and my boyfriend understand the actual truth!? thankyou

hi there first of all welcome to mp and crongratulations on the forth coming :baby:
ok i know you wanted to hear from real people ,,and im a mum myself ,,,but some doc facts cannot be ignored
i found this
Babies who are exposed to marijuana will test positive for the drug in their urine for two to three weeks after their mother's use. THC is the active ingredient and it is secreted into milk in moderate amounts. The drug is readily absorbed and metabolized.
Marijuana has been placed in the category of drugs that are contraindicated for breastfeeding mothers by the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs.
i didnt breast feed so i cannot be sure ,,,but imo i wouldnt smoke then breastfeed ,,,if its in your system its gonna be in your milk and then in your babies system ,,,
good luck ,,,,and with a new born a round youll be to busy to smoke :D

Hey there. I think its really subjective. I have read some studies where mj use during pregnancy helped dramatically with severe morning sickness and poor appetite.

But my personal opinion is this:

An unborn baby only needs the womb for 10 months. I wouldn't risk it. 10 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I did not expose my unborn/nursing babes to MJ. I wanted until after they were born and/or weaned.

Also- moderation is key. I think a little toke here and there probably wouldnt make a difference, but if something did end up being wrong with the baby, I'd forever wonder if my mj use caused it., and I couldnt live with the guilt.

I did voluntarily put bad chemicals in my body while pregnant. I couldnt shake my addiction to artificial sweeteners and junk food. :p

SmokinMom said:
I did voluntarily put bad chemicals in my body while pregnant. I couldnt shake my addiction to artificial sweeteners and junk food. :p

kudos for that post,that should be realized as well when talking about this subject...i wouldnt doubt a tolerance to THC is all that goes through the child...maybe even a little bit of relaxation.but i wouldnt try it...best to just give them what they need when they need it then carry on with your life...like mom says its only 10 months or so,and that really isnt that long.youll have plenty of more time to continue in the meantime.in reality i totally lost the point i was going to give...hahahaha dont listen to me:D:ccc:

EDIT:yo i really am lit...posting on a topic about pregnant women acting like i understand hahahahaha

thanks for your coments. I am proud to say i have been clean ever since i found out i was pregnant and i found out when i was around 4 weeks. I would never smoke while i was pregnant i am not that selfish. I was just curious as to know how long it would stay in the breast milk if i was to do it while i had someone to watch the baby every now and then. I know you can freeze your milk but i just needed alittle reassuring from people who know more than me. I love to get high but i will admit i was going down the deep end before i got pregnant. I let weed screw up two years of college i should have had a degree by now and i have to live with that, so i would never go back to that person i was then. I mean lets face it i am a mom now and i have to be the role model. Its just hard sometimes when your role models think its ok. My dad always tried to hide it from me but i'm not stupid i always new and he chose weed over me, my mother on the other hand lit up a joint in the living room with me there when i was just in elementry and i turned right around and yelled at her because she tried to play stupid and say it was a cig. I knew! Sometimes i cant help but miss that part of my life i'm only 20 and i will be 21 a few weeks before the baby is due so i am still growing. It does help when i have someone to talk to that understands exactly what i am going through but still in the end can tell me not to do it. Thanx i need the positive influence.

mommy2be said:
:confused: I used to be a serious smoker, before i got pregnant. I quit cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant, and i have been fight the cravings ever since. I am constantly serounded by it and i desperatly miss it. I love my baby and i wont do anything that will harm him but at the same time my selfish habbits kick into play and i have a hard time dealing with it. My entire family smokes weed and i have seen them do it around babies and kids and i will not be that kind of person, but when i have a baby sitter for the night or the weekend i want to be able to party. I have made my boyfriend quit as well because if it was in the house i know for sure i wouldnt be able to control myself, also i feel like its kind of a slap in the face. I mean it takes two to get pregnant and y should i have to be the only one to make sacrifices. I plan on breast feeding when the baby is born and i need to know from "real" people, not doctors (because we all know what they say, and i'm sure to an extent their right but they will always say no) how long will the thc stay in my breast milk? I mean just from the ocational high like maybe once or twice a month. Can any one help me out. Because i have ways of getting around it. I can freeze a more than generous amount in the freeze until my system cleans out, but if it will stay in my system for a month or even longer than i need to know that i cant do it. I have to be able to be clean for emergencys. If i make any sense at all (because i am in that stage of pregnancy where i start to loose my mind for a short period) will someone help me and my boyfriend understand the actual truth!? thankyou

IMO, dont smoke weed when you're pregnant, breast feeding, or around your or ANY child, THC will stay in your milk 30ish days (depending on how much you weigh) and anything you put in your body, goes directly to your child. And if you care, you dont want the kid to have that kinda stuff in it's system (not to mention if the doctors runs a blood test if god forbid the child falls ill, they'll find pot in it's system, and you'll lose your child)...Just not a good idea, white knuckle it, remove yourself from the people that are smoking it, ask them not to do it around you, for the good of your new family. that's just my $0.02. Be a good parent, keep your kid away from the culture, until they're old enough to understand and make a grown up decision. good luck

i think ur bein to hard on yourself and ur boyfriend. dont get me wrong being 100% as healthy as possible through ur pregnancy iz the right thing to do. i think u should quit or at least cut back dramtically. but at the end of the day, i mean, it not crack. i thinks it more important to not smoke cigs or drink alcohol.
whyd your bfriend have to quit again lol jk

well when my late wife was pregnant with my son,we smoked.but that was 30 yrs ago.she also smoked cigs.the night my son was born,we were both stoned and it actually made her delivery easier.but looking back,i would not think it was a good idea.she also breast fed our son.guess thats why my son does not drink or smoke anything to this day.but with all we know today,i would not recommend smoking anything while pregnant and breast feeding.

i'veread studies on this and they all say something different. the one thing they all said was common in babies of regular mj smokers was low birth weight. besides that im sure it can have more bad effects than good on a still developing body. its not worth the risk imo

DUB said:
i think ur bein to hard on yourself and ur boyfriend. dont get me wrong being 100% as healthy as possible through ur pregnancy iz the right thing to do. i think u should quit or at least cut back dramtically. but at the end of the day, i mean, it not crack. i thinks it more important to not smoke cigs or drink alcohol.
whyd your bfriend have to quit again lol jk

no its not crack or alcholol :p .......but we as ADULTS make a personal choice and descision to get high ,,,it isnt forced upon us ,,,,,

I wonder what all the hippies from the 60's would have to say about this? And I feel for your boyfriend, he must be suffering miserably. A hormonal pregnant gf and he can't smoke! Must be pain. LOL.

fellafrompocatella said:
I wonder what all the hippies from the 60's would have to say about this? And I feel for your boyfriend, he must be suffering miserably. A hormonal pregnant gf and he can't smoke! Must be pain. LOL.

lol thats what im sayin. ease up 420girl im just sayin if she does get weak and succumbs to temptation she shouldnt be to hard on herself. A for effort.....A- if she smokes

It's cruel to do that to yer unborn child, they didn't have the information we have 50 years ago. Adults or teenagers, have the mental capacity (I hope) to make a life choice like smoking weed, drinking, crack, hey whatever they decide is the flavour of the month. Unborn children, and children in general, rely on the adults they belong to, and a caring, responsible (even if you're a stoner) person, wouldn't smoke anything, or drink anything that could possibly alter their development. I've got a son, my wife quit everything during the duration of her pregnancy. However, I was there for her - I quit everything too....only to restart again shortly after he was born, and i keep it FAR away from him, and wont hide it when he becomes curious later on in life. I'm still of the opinion (they're like arseholes, everyone has one, and most of them stink) DONT SMOKE OR DRINK WHILE PREGNANT! mmkay, thanks.....

When my wife got pregnant I locked her down as well. Those are my kids too she was dealing with. I wanted to make sure that my kids got every healthy opportunity before the polluted world corrupted them. A child can be no less than perfect when in it's mothers' womb. Why destroy such a fragile mind at that?

I DO NOT condone of even eating simple potato chips while pregnant. It can hurt the child later in life.

Okay. This is def a sensitive matter. I just want to go on the record as saying when I said, I wonder what the hippies in the 60's would have to say about this?' I really meant that. I wonder what they would say, If they wish they could do things different, and I'd like to know how their kids turned out. I'm sure most of them were just fine but who knows. And everyone is right, with the stuff we know now, what can possibly harm a child why risk it. A glass of wine everynow and then isn't going to harm the child, but thats up to the individual to make that decision.

But I do think some people take things a little too far, but then again how safe is too safe when it comes to an unborn child. Their may not be such a thing.

I'm also lucky because I've had the talk with my gf, whom I plan to marry and have kids with, that I don't have to stop smoking or the drinking when she gets pregnant. She knows I'm going to have to put up with her cranky *** at some point durning the pregnancy. Besides, I think it a fair trade-off. She gets to feel the empowerment of being able to carry a child and give birth, and I get to sit on the sideline and continue to enjoy life's comforts. Sounds good to me.

if you dont mind if little johny rides the short bus, keep smoking pot!!

My Little jonnies grew up to be just fine. If they are happy with themselves I am happy for them. If they have something wrong, I listen and see how I can help;) I was born in the 50's. My parents always told me I had the good life, at least I got to go to school!:)

My wife and I have 3 kids and WE both quit everything WE were doing that was questionable durring OUR pregnancies. However until we found out my wife was pregnant we smoked daily along with dropping Acid and a little Cocaine. We were very hard partiers until then and through the first two months of her pregnancy (as soon as we found out we quit everything).
Our first daughter is now 18 and she has an IQ of 138 and graduated in the Aspire Program (a program for gifted youth). She has never been rebelious and she is headed to collage this next year.

I know several people that smoked MJ throughout thier entire pregnancy and breastfeeding months and not one of them has under developed children... In fact most of them are Honor Roll students and a few are very gifted. I am now seeing these children as adults and they all seem to cope very well with life issues and have outstanding relationships with thier parents.(maybe due to lowered stress of the mother durring pregnancy... I think I would be more concerned with the chemicals in the foods I ate rather than if I smoked a joint once in a while... JMO

Now I am not saying you should or you shouldn't, it is a matter of personal choice. But I don't think you will end up with a child who rides the short bus because you smoke weed durring pregnancy...

7thG said:
lol thats what im sayin. ease up 420girl im just sayin if she does get weak and succumbs to temptation she shouldnt be to hard on herself. A for effort.....A- if she smokes

haha im eased up ;)
no she shouldnt ,,but by the same rule dont get pregnant if you dont want to give something up for a relative short time ,for the sake of the unborn child ,,,and her boyfreind can allways go and smoke else where ,,,,,:ignore:

Latest posts

Back