I need yall help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILoveganja.com

Reaction score
I'm really undecided about this issue of lights. Right now i have four 4' Tube Fluoro's 40watts a piece. My closet is maybe a 3' X 5' with pretty good ventilation. On one side I'm thinking about going with the 400w HPS/Metal halide Conversion. Now this can be beneficial in that i can use Metal for veg and simply switch the bulb to hps for flower. The Con is that some say that metal halide does not make that much of a difference if any, considering heat issues and power usage. Some say you can get that same lush grow with fluoro's minus the heat issues and power usage. So with all that said should I sacrafice safety and power usage over the convience of just switching from one bulb to another. Could some one please help me with this decision.

I would question whether anyone had used a MH in veg if they tell you it doesn't make a difference.

There's a reason SON-T agros have the blue spectrum as well!

Personally I wouldn't bother with fluros.

You see some really good results with fluro grows but they have 10 of them; which by the time you add up the power consumption, the cost of establishing and a small FAF (Fugg around fee) you might as well have shelled out the beans for a HID.

You can use a Son T agro successfully in veg. One bulb all the way.

IN my experiences for real...

flours.. can make it grow.. but slow....
MH is quicker attention to the plant's leaves and spud up the shoots really quicker too... for example.. the shoot out will grow with in a week by MH..compare to flours.. that takes 3 weeks for the single shoot out to develop in full!! that happen in my experiences but since you got small space you can hit up with 150 to 300w of MH and be sure its 12 to 16 feet away from the plants.. and safety comes first.. then you will be set for super grow..

smokingjoe said:
I would question whether anyone had used a MH in veg if they tell you it doesn't make a difference.

I used to veg with MH and now use fluoros. I have a 400W and a 250W MH that basically sit idle. I now veg with a T5 and I found very little difference. The plants grow lush and green with tight internodal spacing.

I am using a 4ft 6tube T5 setup( 6500K @ 29,000 lumens) and 8 26 watt daylight CFLs. My plants are loving them,, and temps are very good. I tell ya,,when I open my closet doors my Wife hollers"Dont go toward the light Babe" Yep its bright as hell.:hubba:

if i were you i would grow more than just two plants. what if one turns out to be a male or worse, what if both are. .plant some more. and well i cant go against my hero the hemp goddess i will say after debating i went with the hid light. its all an experiment and maybe ill go with the fluros next time

papabeach1 said:
IN my experiences for real...

flours.. can make it grow.. but slow....
MH is quicker attention to the plant's leaves and spud up the shoots really quicker too... for example.. the shoot out will grow with in a week by MH..compare to flours.. that takes 3 weeks for the single shoot out to develop in full!! that happen in my experiences but since you got small space you can hit up with 150 to 300w of MH and be sure its 12 to 16 feet away from the plants.. and safety comes first.. then you will be set for super grow..

That 12 to 16 feet is about 11 feet excessive. I have a 400 watt HPS/MH that I'm using right now that I put the light within a foot of the leafs no problems along as you have a fan blowing at the space. no fan? 5 feet will be plenty. Try it for yourself, just do the hand rule, if your hand is comfortable with the temperature then the plant will be, so just put your hand right over the top of the plants and check to see its its good. if not... fix it :)

I use an 4 foot 8 bulb T5 for veg and love it. I do not get any node spacing until they go under the MH. They only stay under there for a week then the bulbs are changed to HPS and flowering begins. I just like to condition them to the HID set-up before flowering. But from what I have experienced my T5 does a better job at vegging then my MH lamps.

BuddyLuv said:
I use an 4 foot 8 bulb T5 for veg and love it. I do not get any node spacing until they go under the MH. They only stay under there for a week then the bulbs are changed to HPS and flowering begins. I just like to condition them to the HID set-up before flowering. But from what I have experienced my T5 does a better job at vegging then my MH lamps.

I never worry about a transition and never have any trouble--the girls go from the T5 to the 1000W HPS without any problems at all.

Latest posts

Back